No video after processor switch.

fibroptikl

Supreme [H]ardness
The system in question is a Celeron D 2.8, Intel D915GEV, 512MB DDR2 and Onboard Video.

I have a LSI Logic x8 SAS Card in the x16 slot.

I started an install of Windows Server 2003, until I realized that the reason I'm installing it is because I switched my processor. However, I had not done that yet.

I will list exactly what I did:

1) I turn off the computer, pull the power plug out of the power supply.
2) Remove Intel OEM HSF.
3) Cleaned HSF and CPU w/ Arctic Clean.
4) Applied grain-sized AS5 onto P4 3.0GHz CPU.
5) Put CPU back into board and confirmed it was seated correctly.
6) Put HSF back onto board. While I fumbled with it a bit more than usual, I guess it was because I didn't have enough light. I got angry at those things when I normally don't have a problem with it.
7) Power on.
8) After I power it on, the lights for the board come on, the HSF spins, and the lights on the LSI Logic SAS card come on like normal too.
9) I tried different jumper settings, pulling out CMOS battery, and even a BIOS recovery which worked before (when I had an issue with no video when I first got the machine). However, it did not even start loading the image on the floppy. The machine does notice when I take out the memory as well.

Switched the CPU to the original one, and I get the same results. No set of resetting stuff, different combinations is getting me video output.

Any ideas? I worked on it for a little bit Saturday and Sunday, but between concerts and movies I never got a good block of time to clear my mind and think.

I do plan to try putting in an old PCI video card to see if it is outputting the video to one of the PCI Express/PCI slots vs Onboard.

are you sure the cpu isn't dead, because thats exactly what would happen. Does the problem go away if you change the cpu back? If so, I think you've successfully isolated the problem

I had that problem once when I stuck a barton into an older skt a board that didn't support them. (I know the d915 supports that cpu, but still)

are you sure the cpu isn't dead, because thats exactly what would happen. Does the problem go away if you change the cpu back? If so, I think you've successfully isolated the problem

I had that problem once when I stuck a barton into an older skt a board that didn't support them. (I know the d915 supports that cpu, but still)

Switched the CPU to the original one, and I get the same results. No set of resetting stuff, different combinations is getting me video output.

I know the old CPU works. I'm not worried about the new CPU at this time, I am more worried about getting it up using the old one.

I tested both CPU's in an ABIT board at work, and both boot up just fine.

Can you test the RAM in a different computer?

Can you test the PSU?

Well if the proc works, the PSU works and the RAM works then it can really only be the motherboard. :(

Back