No VGA detected after Cold Post or Standby?

mikecoscia

Limp Gawd
I have an Asus P6T deluxe and for whatever reason I have cold start up issues. Standby never worked for me, if it sat for awhile. If i woke it within 5 minutes it was fine, anything longer I would just get a blank screen. Monitor would not detect any signal. Power cycles would not fix the issue, had to reset the CMOS.

Last night I had a thunderstorm and I shut down the computer for the night (first time since I built it). I tried turning it on in the morning and I got 3 beeps. Checked the manual and it means no VGA was detected. A few power cycles later and the machine turned on just fine.

All drivers are up to date and just flashed to the newest bios. I don't understand it at all as once it is up and running it does not have a single issue.

Here is the rig...

i7 920 OC to 3.8ghz
Asus P6T Deluxe v1
12GB Corsair 1600Mhz Dominator DDR3 Ram
Visiontek 4870x2
300GB Vraptor HDD
OT Omega Clario Plus Audio Card
1TB HDD x2
DVD-RW
Blu-ray

Anyone? I shut it off again last night and on the first attempt it gave me 3x beeps. Powered off and tried again and it worked fine.

No other computers in my house have a pci-e slot. I just ordered a cheap vid card off newegg.com to test out, a HD4350. It was only $24 after rebate. So I will try it that out when I get it. If anything at least I will have a spare card lying around if I need to RMA the 4870x2.

Also is it possible that the dam card is so heavy its flexing the motherboard making poor contacts in the slot? Maybe the first power on its slightly off but it warms up enough and the metal expands making it work on the second? Just a theory. I will turn it off tonight and leave the computer on its side. See if it works normally in the morning on first power on try.

Thank you for responding too by the way, I appreciated it.

OKay will this is odd, I had left my case open for the past few days and I had no issues with start ups. Computer powered on first try every time without any issues. Any idea why the hell that is?

Picked up another vid card, the 4350hd, and I have no issues with it. Cold boots and standby have been working fine so far. I am gonna assume its not the motherboard, but the 4870x2. Going to set up an RMA.

Mike, I found your thread through a Google search.

I have the exact same problem you describe above with regard to the cold boot and standby 1 continuous beep then 3 smaller beeps.

Did you manage to resolve this issue? As it's taken nearly 20 attempts to achieve a successful boot into Vista today. Driving me crazy!

Back