No used games on PS3?

Site said:
It is thought highly unlikely that the PlayStation 3 will see this technology implemented, though it is thought that platform holders have held talks about moving as one against region-locking, anti-piracy and used games issues impacting upon their businesses.

Crying wolf??

Spectre said:
<Bam> Bye bye foot
i think they took their leg with it.....:rolleyes:

this would definitley make me go for a xb360 even if i was all for the PS3....

From what i have been reading, just about every department in Sony is suffering right now, why not the console division too? :rolleyes:

4b5eN+EE said:
i think they took their leg with it.....:rolleyes:

this would definitley make me go for a xb360 even if i was all for the PS3....

Leg? Fuck, they might as well commit suicide right now.

I could see maybe not allowing burned media to be played (which of course would get mod chiped out), but not allowing to play rental games ? WTF is that.

Slartibartfast said:
I hope that they implement that. I want Sony to tank, and tank hard.

Heck no. Even though I'm an Xbox fan, and will likely buy an Xbox 360 sometime next year, I want Sony and Nintendo in the game. After all, without competition, gamers suffer with higher prices, lackluster features, and lousy games.

carl67lp said:
Heck no. Even though I'm an Xbox fan, and will likely buy an Xbox 360 sometime next year, I want Sony and Nintendo in the game. After all, without competition, gamers suffer with higher prices, lackluster features, and lousy games.

Amen brother, without it, things will goto shit REAL fast.

^^That is a good point, competition is always welcome. I just think that Sony is acting a lot like MS lately: they're on top of the heap and starting to abuse it and I want something to shake them up. I'm totally in favor of those DRM lawsuits.

I'll say. Have you seen the X360 launch lineup?! :D

I kid, I kid. I think this is just one of those "Hey developers, look at all the nifty ways you can screw consumers over with Blu-Ray!" kind of things. You know, for companies like EA, who are into that sort of thing.

finalgt said:
I'll say. Have you seen the X360 launch lineup?! :D

I kid, I kid. I think this is just one of those "Hey developers, look at all the nifty ways you can screw consumers over with Blu-Ray!" kind of things. You know, for companies like EA, who are into that sort of thing.

All the more reason to stick with PC gaming. At least you have a CHOICE.

yup! i dont think i will ever by a console again! just stick with my trusty old pc. plus i got a wife 2 take cre of soon so the less time in gaming

Slartibartfast said:
I hope that they implement that. I want Sony to tank, and tank hard.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way.

Is that some kind of joke? No rentals for the PS3?!?!? If I buy a consoles it is in big part because I can rent the games and don't have to buy every single one I want to play. If they do that they will get the last position in the console war for sure, unless the PS3 games cost a lot less. But doesn't blue ray disc already cost a lot more then DVD? This doesn't make sense at all.

I can't read that link from work. Could someone summarize how they would do that?

odoe said:
I can't read that link from work. Could someone summarize how they would do that?
Here's the text:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PlayStation 3 Region Free – Blocks Used Game Use
Comments down under hint at global software.
8th Nov 2005
It looks as though Australia’s recent legalisation of mod-chips might see the PlayStation 3 free from region-locked hardware, with comments from an executive at the firm today offering the strongest hint at a significant policy shift.

Sony Computer Entertainment Australia managing director, Michael Ephraim, said the company was unlikely to continue the policy of region-locked consoles as international television standards emerge. Speaking to the Australia IT News service he said, "If you look at the fact that it will support high-definition TV, which will be a global standard, there's a good likelihood that it will be global region, as for example we've done with the PSP."

In related news, rumour flared overnight that the PlayStation 3 would prevent the use of used software, with technologies patented by SCEI’s Ken Kutaragi and team set to read, store and delete security codes on a per-disc, per machine basis.

Registered with Japan’s patent office, the concept would see each game disc individually encoded. Upon being played for the first time, the host hardware would store then delete from the disc the security codes required for registering the software with the console.

It is thought highly unlikely that the PlayStation 3 will see this technology implemented, though it is thought that platform holders have held talks about moving as one against region-locking, anti-piracy and used games issues impacting upon their businesses.

odoe said:

In related news, rumour flared overnight that the PlayStation 3 would prevent the use of used software, with technologies patented by SCEI&#8217;s Ken Kutaragi and team set to read, store and delete security codes on a per-disc, per machine basis.

Registered with Japan&#8217;s patent office, the concept would see each game disc individually encoded. Upon being played for the first time, the host hardware would store then delete from the disc the security codes required for registering the software with the console.

ttt

Well if they do this I sincerely doubt I'll buy a PS3 at all. I had been planning it to be the first next-gen console that I purchased.

sony really isn't showing the world what GOOD is going to come from the PS3. they need to get their shit in a hurry, and that will come more easily if they'd stop appealing to the big corporations, and realize that their funds come from the consumer.

I dont rent games as much as the other guy...but I do borrow and lend out my games to/from friends...and if I cant do that then I may have to rethink my PS3 savings fund but I think we may be jumping the gun here with what the technology will actually do.

Relax, there is no way in hell Sony would (or even could for that matter) implement such technology.

First off, rental stores would scream bloody murder, fans would scream bloody murder, and places like EB and GameStop which make the bulk of their products off of used games would scream bloody murder. Plus making a console unable to play used games it just... well, dumb, Sony would never make a system that wouldn't let you take some of your games and go play them over at your friend's house.

Second, how would it even work? So each disc has a unique code? I guess the PS3 would have to dial home after every disc was put in and check it against a database... This would be very expensive for Sony, a catalog of every serial # or unique ID code for every copy of every title sold for the PS3, plus the servers, bandwidth, etc to authenticate every time someone pops in a disc? There is no way in hell they would ever do it. Second, all you would need to defeat it is just unplug your unit from the router when you wanted to play the game, there is no way the would force a user to have a broadband connection in order to play regular games.

NulloModo said:
Relax, there is no way in hell Sony would (or even could for that matter) implement such technology.

First off, rental stores would scream bloody murder, fans would scream bloody murder, and places like EB and GameStop which make the bulk of their products off of used games would scream bloody murder. Plus making a console unable to play used games it just... well, dumb, Sony would never make a system that wouldn't let you take some of your games and go play them over at your friend's house.

lol, the multiple "bloody murder" comments reminded me of Red vs. Blue...

NulloModo said:
Second, how would it even work? So each disc has a unique code? I guess the PS3 would have to dial home after every disc was put in and check it against a database...

From what the article says, I don't think you'd need to be on the internet at all. It would appear that each game disc would have a special unique code in it. Then the first time it is put into a PS3, that code is read by the PS3 and then saved somewhere (probably some internal flash memory or whatever). Then the machine actually modifies the disc by deleting that code off the disc (so no other PS3 could read and save it). I'm sure there would also be some kind of hash or whatever left on the disc that the machine would verify its saved code against.

I would certainly like to think Sony's not gonna do this, cause if they do, they might just sink.

Hell, this is a company that installed rootkits on audio cds. Anything is possible..

carl67lp said:

PC gaming has no competition, things are going real well

Imagine having to buy only one system and having all released availiable to play...

i hope sony tanks too - we all know revolution is nintendos dreamcast

Molingrad said:
PC gaming has no competition, things are going real well

Imagine having to buy only one system and having all released availiable to play...

i hope sony tanks too - we all know revolution is nintendos dreamcast

Everything in PC gaming is competition. OpenGL vs. Direct3D, ATI vs. nVidia, Intel vs. AMD, EAX vs. that other sound algorithm, Mac vs. PC (not that I can think of any exclusive Mac games worth anything), Logitech vs. Madcatz vs. Microsoft vs. Saitek vs. Whoever else makes gaming accessories... etc.

The only difference is that the competition is much more fragmented, there aren't seperate incompatible ISAs competing with each other, but rather tons of companies competing for every dollar on every aspect of your experience, and it just happens to work together (usually).

This would be a big setback for the PS3 which is why im pretty sure sony wouldnt be so stupid to do this.

Just thinkg about it
-No rentals
-Cant buy used games
-Cant borrow a friends game for the weekend
-Cant bring a game over to a friends house for the night
-What if you have to get a new PS3 because yours breaks?

Sony should know all this which probably means that they would never go ahead with this crap. But if they do then they dont deserve my money. I am looking forward to PS3 but if this is true it means I am going to be very angry.

Sony may be taking piracy and all this DRM stuff a little to far.

But in the end this is BS so lets not add some more fuel to the PS3 sucks posts because the inquirer and sponge reported it.

i hope sony doesnt find this...but they could just save the codes to a memory card...thus solving the PS3 breaks...bringing to friends, and letting a friend borrow the game problems (kinda)

doesnt solve the used games and rentals..

sony dont do this!...although im still gonna buy a XB360 if i buy anything

Here is what I think...

Rentals: ...Sony could have special "rental only" disks that would have a special code on them so they could be paid on multiple machines. If I remember correctly there used to be rental only versions of VHS movies years ago. They could even go so far as to put unskipable ads or what not when the PS3 first boots up (evil).

Publishers and Devs: ...would secretly love this. At least they get some money when you buy a new game. How much do they get when you buy a pre-owned game? Nothing. Publishers/devs have always hated the pre-owned market as many gamers wait until they game is sold used to pick it up.

Pre-owned Stores: ...would hate this. Used games make them way more money than new games do. They would be forced to rely on previous generation games, accessories, or really push new games.. However, there is the issue of how much damage the 30GB disks can take. I mean when even a small scratch can wipe out a couple hundred MB of data who wants to risk buying used...

Hackers: ...will do their best to break this thing. It may be as simple as hacking the memory or it could get complicated if they have to mess with the laser or do some hard modding.

The Average Consumer Sheep: ...will just do what the TV says and buy things. Shiney pretty things... New things are good, old things should be thrown away...

The Concerned Consumer: ...will throw a fit over this and denounce it as the evil it is. They will fight it to the bitter end and keep it out of our media. Just like they did with copy protection on music CDs, watermarks on in-theater movies, DVD/CDs that install stuff on your PC, laws that allow the government to ignore the Bill of Rights, legally purchased MP3s you can only play on certain...oh wait......they will just get over it and take it...

:p

Okay, not even Sony is dumb enough to use this thing on consumer goods. Especially now that they are getting taken to court over the whole rootkit thing. Where this will most likely be used is with production master and review/preview copies of games.

if any of you actually believe that, you really do not deserve to continue to waste the earth's resources, so just stop.

MH Knights said:
Hackers: ...will do their best to break this thing. It may be as simple as hacking the memory or it could get complicated if they have to mess with the laser or do some hard modding.

I can feel an interesting game coming out of this...
I really hope they do it. To be honest.

I hope this isn't true. As someone mentioned, the more competiton, the better.

Though I really don't have any PS3 games i'm really anticipating.

Dude, I just read this thread while listening to Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart', and I swear I almost shed a tear.

Sony is dumb. It's cool to have something to hate the hell out of. Stupid digi-nazi's.

Back