No upload speed

dhodson66

Weaksauce
Recently I was having an issue where windows 11 wouldn’t load. It appeared to be a sata drive issue bc when I removed that drive it loaded but I was having this weird issue where the upload speed was near zero and download speed was normal near 1 gig wired. I moved the computer to a room with a functioning computer and used those cables but no change. I reinstalled windows wiping the main drive but it persists. I’ve tried using drivers from the msi x570 tomahawk page but same problem. Many sites either don’t load, load after a pause or give me a message like this site can’t provide a secure connection. In the device manager the WiFi and Bluetooth connections say this device cannot start.

Any ideas what’s wrong?

5900x, msi x570 tomahawk, 6900xt 64 gig memory. 2 m2 ssds on the motherboard.

This is what it looks like in device manager

IMG_7853.jpeg

Update motherboard BIOS to the latest if you already haven't. Not a high chance of fixing it, but might as well. Download the latest driver from Realtek for your LAN port. Uninstall the drivers through control panel (if present) for WiFi/Bluetooth and Realtek LAN. In device manager right click on each of the three devices, uninstall and also check the box to uninstall the driver software or however it's worded.

After you do the above, reboot. Install the Realtek driver. You can use Intel Driver Support Assistant to update the WiFi/Bluetooth driver. This should hopefully at least get the WiFi/Bluetooth working.

If the NIC is still performing poorly like that, you've done the proper troubleshooting with trying a different cable and even reinstalling Windows. Might just be a hardware defect with the NIC. You could RMA the motherboard if still in warranty (probably first want to submit a ticket with MSI to see what they say here), or the easier way just get a PCIe based NIC or a USB NIC.

If the NIC is still performing poorly like that, you've done the proper troubleshooting with trying a different cable and even reinstalling Windows. Might just be a hardware defect with the NIC. You could RMA the motherboard if still in warranty (probably first want to submit a ticket with MSI to see what they say here), or the easier way just get a PCIe based NIC or a USB NIC.
Before you go the RMA route, I would boot up a recent linux live cd/usb and see if you have the same problem--if you do, then hardware. If you don't, then it's still some sort of software issue. And now that I think about it, you can try this test first to eliminate any hardware being the culprit.

Thx for taking the time to reply

I had already tried the drivers above after reinstall. I think I didn’t do an uninstall first and will do that this weekend.

Any link for Linux live. I’m not Linux familiar so need something straightforward.

image.jpg
Have t tried Linux yet but above is what I seefor Bluetooth after trying the driver reinstalls again

What's the modem status page look like? Bet your uplink is whacked and uncorrectables as well.

Ahh, didn't read that to me in the OP...sorry. Well time for an RMA then maybe eben though it is a PITA. Good luck and hope that solves it.

Not at all
Thank you for your attempts

I’m ordering a PCI network card and a usb-c network adapter.

Is it typical that the wired, wireless, and Bluetooth go out at same time? Any chance it’s indicative of other issues?

Have to decide if I want to deal with installing windows that I purchased on a new motherboard vs just living with other connections assuming they work.

Wired? tried another cable/port already?
Edit: Ah yeah, missed that in op. 😥

Is it typical that the wired, wireless, and Bluetooth go out at same time? Any chance it’s indicative of other issues?

Wifi and Bluetooth are usually on the same module, so yeah that's typical. Wired is often separate, so that's surprising to me... but I don't know that it indicates anything.

No. The Ethernet controller is always physically separate on the motherboard. The Wireless and Bluetooth are usually the same hardware component, so they can sometimes experience issues at the same time. It's atypical for all three to have an issue at the same time.

This could indicate a range of issues. These possible issues are all the over the place like: the installed drivers, the system RAM ("bad" RAM can cause all sorts of wonky stuff), the physical WiFi/Bluetooth and NIC modules on the motherboard, the motherboard BIOS (not very likely but I have seen some vendors ship questionable BIOSes that exhibit weird behavior), or a corrupt operating system install.

I'd suspect the CPU, but I like jumping to conclusions, and I've had issues with AMD's ryzen SoCs before. My first step after eliminating software and cables/ports as a possibility would be to remove the cpu cooler, unlatch the CPU, put my finger on top of the cpu, and latch it again. Then reinstall cooler and see if it's fixed.

This resolved a different problem others experienced with both x370 and x570 boards before, although I don't know if it might cause this as well.

I keep a USB ethernet adapter and USB wifi card in my toolbox for randomness like this.
Depending on how complex your environment is, you could have a misconfiguration in your router such as QoS or bandwidth limiting. I've done that on my routers in the past to prioritize traffic back by MAC address and that would persist with both Windows and Linux like you tried.

If possible, bypass your router and plug directly into the modem or other ISP equipment.

Thx for the additional information

The computer was stable for the last 2 years until this event.

I know the ram is quality I think crucial. Two 32 gig chips for 64 total

I'd suspect the CPU, but I like jumping to conclusions, and I've had issues with AMD's ryzen SoCs before. My first step after eliminating software and cables/ports as a possibility would be to remove the cpu cooler, unlatch the CPU, put my finger on top of the cpu, and latch it again. Then reinstall cooler and see if it's fixed.

This resolved a different problem others experienced with both x370 and x570 boards before, although I don't know if it might cause this as well.
1698146938425.png

Yeah, I agree it may be worth re-situating the CPU. On Zen 3 you're looking at 24 PCIe lanes coming from the CPU- x16 for GPU, x4 for NVME and x4 for the chipset. From those chipset lanes different things are "fed" like the Realtek LAN, the Intel Wi-Fi card, some USB ports, etc... If something is wonky with CPU you could see weird behavior from things running off the chipset I'd reckon.

How does that happen on a cpu that’s pretty much bolted down for 2 years. I have liquid cooling and I had tightened that pretty good with install. My temps are very low so I wasn’t suspecting any issue there.

How does that happen on a cpu that’s pretty much bolted down for 2 years. I have liquid cooling and I had tightened that pretty good with install. My temps are very low so I wasn’t suspecting any issue there.
2 years of vibration, micro power fluctuations, endless power on/offs or any number of other events can wear on components. It sucks but happens. Everything is built as cheap as humanly possible and any extremely minor defect or failed tolerance can cascade to failure.

Hardware manufacturers release new drivers or firmware all the time that changes behavior, sometimes for the bad. That in itself can kill hardware that was running fine for years.

how important is it to put your finger on the chip when you remove it

Here is what ive done. I bought a new SSD 990 pro to be sure there wasnt a HD problem. I took the 5900x off the motherboard, holding it by the edges and then reinstalled it, i tried a standalone pcie 2.5gb tplink ethernet card and none of these worked. still the same problems.

After the above, i used a usb-c to ethernet adapter and that actually works normally. I am now downloading and installing programs but if possible id like to understand what went wrong and if there is a solution. I assume its either a MB problem that maybe MSI would send me a new one or its a driver issue that i cant seem to figure out even though ive reinstalled windows again on the new ssd and used the latest drivers i had previously downloaded.

Any further thoughts on how to trouble shoot or solve this?

I spoke too soon

The usb-c did work great for 10 minutes. Now I’m constantly resetting the adapter and that works for 2 minutes then I’m forced to redo it

I'm leaning towards a borked mainboard as my best guess. My bet is the SATA drive you pulled is fine but the port is toast. If that drive hadn't caused issues and you hadn't reinstalled Windows I'd be thinking software, but because of those two and your tests with multiple NICs I'm thinking hardware.

Have you done any testing with devices other than NICs? I think you should look for other problems to try to confirm a bad board. Got any drives not attached directly to the CPU? I'm just kind of assuming you're booting off an M.2 in the CPU connected slot like everyone else does. Have any fast USB devices around other than NICs? Like maybe a USB HD? I'm just thinking something that can write at 10s of MB/s or faster. You might also try a local upload, like use Windows file sharing to copy a file to your other computer and see what kind of speed you get. Got another HD you can test on SATA? If USB, the onboard NIC, a NIC card, and SATA all have issues but the vid card & CPU attached M.2 work fine I'll be pointing the finger straight at the board.

I haven’t noticed any issues with usb thumb drives that I attach to install latest drivers after reinstalling windows. I have an external usb drive I typical use to backup documents and photos that I can see how it does.

I was thinking write, not read. Ok you can install Windows but what happens if you do a write to that USB drive? If you're just installing Windows or drivers you're reading not writing. At any rate the idea is to look for faults that are not network problems. So try writing to that USB drive. TBH your problem is a weird one, but the more data we get the better our chance of coming up with a cause.

Back