No surprise here, XFX 290 DD VRM temps over 100c at stock volts

Purchased XFX 290 Black DD 3 weeks ago from Amazon. VRMs reach about 80C while playing BF4, according to GPU-Z. Not sure what version it is, can check when I get home.

The 290x I evaluated was an XFX DD and it got to 104 on VRM1 while playing BF4. I returned it!

My VRM1 was getting up to 95c ish when I overclocked it.. at stock while playing COD AW its around 85c.. is 95c all that bad???

This review makes me think 85C while gaming is no big deal:

1393271685gLxqNW5QLa_7_1.gif

actually while playing COD AW the vrm 1 stays in the 75-78c range.. but in the intermission menu it rises for some odd reason until the next match...

Last edited:
I've seen thermal imaging of stock cards running well over 100°C on the VRM's with no apparent issues. Even the lowly GTX 460's VRM ran over 100°C and that's no where near a 250W card. So a 290X running 80°-90° is not an issue.

Is it possible to add your own heatsinks to solve the vrm issue? I ordered this card and now i'm worried

Don't worry about temps. If it is a good card, they won't be an issue. Mine runs nice and cool. Just don't try and oc and you will be golden.

The max for VRMs is 125C so 95C is not too big a deal. Also if you look at the design the GPU cooler blows on the full metal cover that is the memory and VRM heat sink, so If your GPU core is hitting 70C that delta needed for adequate cooling is smaller than perfect for the VRMs.

I haven't bothered to look at temps, the card is still alive but its been on stock voltage forever...

I would look at returning it and get either a tri-x or Vapor-x card. Not a big fan of XFX.

95 C on the VRMs of a 290 are acceptable and expected on air cooling. Even when I had my 290s on water with a good overclock the cores would never go over 60 C or so, but the VRMs would hit around 77 C. It's a hot card to be sure, but it's also a tough card and can handle those temps.

In case anyone's wondering, got my cards today.
Rev 4.2 using Omega 14.12 drivers.
At stock clocks, Unigine Heaven with Extreme tessellation, VRM-1 maxes out at 75C (fan is at ~66%)

Looks like XFX fixed their VRM cooling issue.

Also, I won the GPU lottery. Both cards will unlock to 290X :D
sshot4.png~original

Last edited:
Been running my R9-290A-EDFD for about a week.

Set a custom fan profile that ramps up the fan roughly 1:1 fan speed to temp.

10 minutes in furmark:

33IhCLz.gif

Should I be concerned?

Using furmark? no, it would just show worst case scenario. VRMs can go up to 125C and granted yours is getting close. I redid the paste and thermal pads and that helped a lot.

Been running my R9-290A-EDFD for about a week.

Set a custom fan profile that ramps up the fan roughly 1:1 fan speed to temp.

10 minutes in furmark:

33IhCLz.gif

Should I be concerned?

It's nothing to worry about. Two things. 1) Furmark is an unrealistic load that is designed to max out the thermals. 2) Sometimes I think AMD is making a mistake showing people these numbers and should just do what nVidia does and not report the VRM temps. nVidia have had reference cesigns that have run much hotter than this, but because people can't pull the numbers up with GPUz, nobody knows.

GTX-690.png

This is the reference 690 stock clocks. Anyone hear about all of the 690's blowing their VRM's? No? Me either.

It's nothing to worry about. Two things. 1) Furmark is an unrealistic load that is designed to max out the thermals. 2) Sometimes I think AMD is making a mistake showing people these numbers and should just do what nVidia does and not report the VRM temps. nVidia have had reference cesigns that have run much hotter than this, but because people can't pull the numbers up with GPUz, nobody knows.

GTX-690.png

This is the reference 690 stock clocks. Anyone hear about all of the 690's blowing their VRM's? No? Me either.

Great post man, very informative. I've been thinking about VRM temps lately ever since my last gpu flaked out on me. I will say that the Highest i would want my VRM would be 95C.

Pushing my card any harder isn't going to net me an FPS gain I'm going to actually see in game, I've come to be content with my card, for the most part its solid, and quiet, I want another for Xfire but I might just move to 390's.

I have a Black Edition DD (same cooler) clocked at 1180/1500 and getting 79/99C on my temps, 60mv and 25% power limit.

I have Hynix memory, not sure if they run cooler (I'd doubt it). At stock 980/1250 I was at 70/79C.

I don't know that everybody is having the same bad experience as you. Just giving another data point. (Holy thread revival, Batman!)

These are with GPU-Z with at least an hour in.

Back