No support of RADIUS security on wireless adapter? How to avoid with next purchase?

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd

I recently got a refurbished external (USB) wireless adapter by Netgear. It's the WNA3100 but who knows what they did to it while refurbishing it.

I tried using it to connect to the wireless network at my university, and I got the above-displayed error. So what's the deal? This RADIUS thing is not a new technology, right? So any modern wireless adapter should be able to handle it. Why would this thing not support it?

Secondly, if it doesn't work, that's alright. I need a second wireless adapter anyway, so I could use this one at home where the RADIUS thing is not an issue. But how do I make sure this does not happen again with another one that I buy? I can't seem to find anywhere in the specs anything about this compatibility. For instance, I believe I want to get this one next:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166068
(Rosewill RNX-N150HG)

Can I be sure that this one will work properly?

Last edited:
The client adapter itself doesn't connect to Radius, the WAP is the authenticator.

Even in the technical specs it only lists WPA(2)-PSK.

It looks like you got an OLD adapter that doesn't support 802.1x (also referred to as WPA(2) Enterprise. You may see if they have an updated driver for it.

Are you saying that any adapter I'm considering should list "WPA Enterprise" or "WPA2 Enterprise" in its specs? Does that mean that the rosewill one that I'm looking at also will not work?

I'm surprised that's even possible. Can you install only the driver and remove the Netgear Genie? I wouldn't use any 3rd party software on XP and a g/n adapter and above. That stuff is more to get your 11b adapter working on Windows ME.

It looks like your University is using 802.1x, so your wireless adapter would need to support 802.1x as well. You could ask your University Help Desk if they support an alternate authentication method- I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Call the help desk at your school and ask them.

I can promise that they know much more about what your school supports than anyone in this forum.

Find out what chip the adapter uses, and then uses the chip maker's driver. Odds are, it'll have support for it.

It looks like your University is using 802.1x, so your wireless adapter would need to support 802.1x as well. You could ask your University Help Desk if they support an alternate authentication method- I wouldn't hold my breath though.

But what's so special about 802.1x?? Doesn't every reasonably modern wireless adapter support that?? It looks to me like that Netgear one supports all sorts of 802.1x, from looking at the specs.

Only reason I asked here instead of going straight to the IT people at my university is because the IT people here... are kind of inaccessible. I asked, and apparently there is no physical "help desk" to go to. I tried calling before, and it was super stupid and super frustrating. The other method is to submit a ticket online, and that seems to work fine, but it would take a few days.

Also, to address another post, I'm running Windows 7, 64bit. Not WinXP.

Thanks for the suggestions/comments so far.

Oh wait a minute! What does 802.1x mean exactly? I thought the "x" was just a variable indicating any number. For instance, 802.11 would be an example of 802.1x. No? Does it mean something else?

Are you saying that it should explicitly say that it supports "802.1x" in the specs?

Oh wait a minute! What does 802.1x mean exactly? I thought the "x" was just a variable indicating any number. For instance, 802.11 would be an example of 802.1x. No? Does it mean something else?

Are you saying that it should explicitly say that it supports "802.1x" in the specs?

x is not a place holder for a variable. 802.1x is an authentication method. You need an adapter that does explicitly support wpa(2) enterprise / 802.1x in the specs. I'll admit, I haven't seen many adapters that don't -- but play it safe and buy one that lists it.

Last edited:
That my advice is likely more relevant than yours, and that I am also probably familiar with the systems the OP is working with.

That my advice is likely more relevant than yours, and that I am also probably familiar with the systems the OP is working with.

So the advice to contact those people who's job it is to resolve such issues is not correct?
I'm not saying the advice your giving is not correct. It's very accurate I'm just saying the people who are trained to support the system will be able to resolve the issue.

Sure, if it was an issue with it not authenticating properly they would be the go-to for assistance. But with the adapter's specifications not supporting 802.1x authentication I think that many people on the forum can give the OP some direction -- he probably needs a new wireless adapter or try to find a different driver for the chipset in case its a software limitation.

Back