No sound with hdmi cable

badigel

n00b
Hi,

I just connected my Gainward HD4850 GS via hdmi to my plasma screen, but there's no sound.

I uninstalled the catalyst drivers and installed them again and when I entered the sound settings and tested the AMD HDMI Output, I heard a "bip" sound from the tv and a second later I got a massage saying the device is being used by another program.

Any ideas how to solve this?

p.s. windows 8, latest catalyst.

you will need to have the amd hdmi, be your default sound output, not your speakers.
if you have sound out of your speakers, that is probably your problem.

/doesnt know windows 8

Sounds like a driver issue. Has this video card always been the only video card in the system? Have you used with with other TVs before?

Just fyi, hdmi out doesn't really likes to play with onboard sound drivers, so if you have those installed, uninstall them and restart the system with hdmi as the only connection.

I'm not using a DVI adapter.
First tv i use and never had another video card.
The AMD HDMI Output is the default. Also I right click it and press test which doesn't work.
I did try disabling the onboard sound drivers. Haven't tried uninstalling them. Will try now.

You are using a legacy ATI graphics card.

When you turn the TV off or change the input mode (cable box, etc) the video card disables the audio to save energy, this is what AMD "added" to that version of catalyst.

This is a problem with the last catalyst released for the older generation of cards.

To fix this you need to go back to an earlier version of catalyst, or get a modern graphics card.

This problem only really happens with TV's because of the way they link with the graphics card.

I have no problem installing an older driver. Which version is the latest before the change?

It was like 2-3 versions ago.

I had a ATI 4670 on my TV pc and this exact problem happened to me. I ended up upgrading to an i3 with onboard video (energy saving reasons).

I think if you can find catalyst 12.5 and previous it will work.

It's pretty stupid that they actually broke these old cards for TV use with their new drivers.

You can re-initialize the PC-TV audio link if you go into Windows services ("services.msc" in run box) and then Stop and Restart "Windows Audio". This will fix it for the current session, but once you turn off the tv or change to cable you will have to do it again (IIRC)

Well I tried 12.3, 12.4 and 12.6 and with all 3 I can't even get the display to show. It's like the drivers are not installing correctly...
When I try to run CCC I get a massage saying CCC cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using CCC.

Are you rebooting windows between each driver installation?

When you downgrade drivers its a bit more of a PITA than upgrading drivers.

Reboot windows, then do a complete uninstall of all ATI on the system. REboot. then INstall 12.4

Well:
Uninstalled, restarted.
Used Driver Sweeper to clean leftovers, restarted.
Installed 12.4, restarted.

The tv screen still isn't recognized, although it does display before booting to windows.

Haven't tried that.
I've lost hope with this.
I just tried connecting my motherboard gpu via hdmi to the tv, and it works. My main pc screen is still connected to the Gainward via dvi. It's gets the job done pretty much. not as I would have liked, but 99%.

The thing is, that under device manager, the radeon card has an exclamation mark, and when I enter it the device status is:
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
This is after installing the latest Catalyst, 13.1

Any ideas?

Back