No sound thru HDMI on new 5850?

shiv

Limp Gawd
Forgive me if this is simple, I tried searching. I just finished putting my new system together. I have a XFX 5850 and a Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard. I have the system running through HDMI to my pioneer reciever and am getting video fine but I cant get any audio. I have installed all drivers and went into my sound devices and the ATI hdmi is listed as the default device. I can't figure out what gives. I know the motherbaord has VIA sound so I dont know if that's causing a problem. My last system had a 4890 and I had sound through that no problem. I feel i must be missin a setting. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Did you install the drivers for the HD 5850 from the included driver CD which walked you thru the process? The Install Disk setup program typically installs both video and audio drivers; at least it did for me.

Or did you simply download the latest and greatest Catalyst from AMD's website? If you did this, then that's what's causing your issue. Catalyst does not include the audio driver. You must download and install the audio driver separately. It should be under something like "Other Drivers" on AMD's website; it's there somewhere 'cause I downloaded some time ago.

I know on my Crosshair Mobo I had to disable or change a setting on the audio. Look in your bios and see what you can do, maybe even disabling the onboard audio if you can or change the audio type to digital or something. Pretty sure it was a very easy/basic thing that I changed and then everything worked.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have to look into it further when I get home.

You will need to select the HDMI option as the default output under the "Playback devices" section.

Assuming you have not done it. If you have and it's still not working make sure the service is actually running in Task Manager/Processes.

Back