No sound in vista 64

fantomau

2[H]4U
I just installed Vista Ultimate 64 and theres no problems with the sound in device manager, But I cant play any sounds, or anything.

It says Speakers are plugged in.

I run the same motherboard with Vista x64.

Things to check:
- Have you installed the latest drivers from Realtek (assuming this is on your IP35 Pro)?
- Is the audio device set to digital output only?
- Windows Audio Service is running? Get a run prompt (windows key + 'R' is the shortcut), type in 'services.msc'. In the services window, scroll down to "Windows Audio" and check that the status is "Started."
- Onboard audio device is enabled in BIOS?

I just installed Vista Ultimate 64 and theres no problems with the sound in device manager, But I cant play any sounds, or anything.

It says Speakers are plugged in.

Did the sound ever work?

I run the same motherboard with Vista x64.

Things to check:
- Have you installed the latest drivers from Realtek (assuming this is on your IP35 Pro)?
- Is the audio device set to digital output only?
- Windows Audio Service is running? Get a run prompt (windows key + 'R' is the shortcut), type in 'services.msc'. In the services window, scroll down to "Windows Audio" and check that the status is "Started."
- Onboard audio device is enabled in BIOS?

I believe I have the latest realtek drivers
On the taskbar speaker icon, It says Realtek digital Output / Realtek High Definitio Audio
Windows Audio service is started
Onboard audio is enabled

I've got the same problem as OP.
I'm using headphones and they aren't showing in the sound section of control panel. I tried hooking 'em to both the front panel and on the IO panler audio connectors but still no go. I did turn off the HDMI from the HD3850 in my rig but nothing's helped/

Did you make sure that the default playback for sound is set to your sound card?

I'm running Vista 32bit, and it works fine with all of my sound outputs, including two pairs of bluetooth stereo headsets.

There are plenty of people on these forums that have Vista 64bit with Realtek HD audio, its got to be something simple, I'm sorry that you're having problems.

Its not only the sound, But wont work with my capture board my wife uses to grab video off camcorder (Only XP/Vista 32bit).

Then why not go with Vista 32bit? My primary reason for sticking with 32bits for now is compatibilty. It will get better over time, but unless you have more than 3GB of RAM, 64bit doesn't really offer an advantage of 32bits anyway.

User error obviously, my sound is working fine in Vista 64.

Don't blame the OS for your lack of computer skills.

Lack of computer skills? Hmm.

I guess ALL those, Other than mr ranger, Who have issues, Are people that dont know what their doing and lack the skills. :rolleyes:

Its funny how I installed the realtek drivers FOR Vista 64, Rebooted, Messed around with the realtek sound manager, Changing/Changing back and nada.

Then I booted into XP 32 and sound works fine.

:

Its funny how I installed the realtek drivers FOR Vista 64, Rebooted, Messed around with the realtek sound manager, Changing/Changing back and nada.

And then

Then I booted into XP 32 and sound works fine.

Maybe you have a setting not right in Vista, which is causing you to not have sound and in return, force you to hate Vista64 .

You got the same sound chip I got and my stuff is workin', you don't have a special version of anything I don't have. You lose.

Maybe so, But is there really a need to say someone doesnt have computer skills simply because they cant get something to work? Maybe help someone with issues and not basically say they are stupid or dumb.

Forget this, I ask for help and get this?

Don't worry about RangerSVT, he's just not being nice. We all have problems, wheather it be with a computer or something else and need help now and then, you know that and RangerSVT knows that. Nobody knows it all. If they did, they wouldn't waste time in these forums!

Did you try this driver: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=3&GetDown=false#High Definition Audio Codecs

It's the same package for both 32 & 64 bit Vista. My 32bit Vista version is 6.0.1.5532. I'm assuming that your mobo supports HD audio. There is another driver for AC'97 here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#AC

As I was saying earlier, you should try Vista 32bit if you since you have other hardware with compatibility issues. You don't lose anything, especially if you don't have more than 3GB RAM anyway.

I've got Realtek AC'97 and HD audio on all three of my Vista 32bit desktops and have never had one problem with it. I'm not calling you stupid, I'm just saying that I know personally that Realtek audio works fine in Vista 32bit.

Good luck!

Yeah thats the version I'm running on Vista 64.

I'll give it another shot later and see what happens.

Thanx. I dont claim to know all, And like you said, No one knows everything, Hence the need for forums to ask for help.

Maybe so, But is there really a need to say someone doesnt have computer skills simply because they cant get something to work? Maybe help someone with issues and not basically say they are stupid or dumb.

Forget this, I ask for help and get this?

You're getting advice, my advice is there is some setting not set properly and that this is user error, not Vista64, it isn't wise to blame an operating system due to a user's fault.

Anyways, drama aside, in device manager, my driver versions are for:

Realtek High Definition Audio: 3/26/2007 6.0.1.5391
High Definition Audio Device: 6/21/2006 6.0.6000.16386

I believe those are the drivers from Abit.com's website, not sure, this Vista install is several months old.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Drivers: http://www.joejimenez.com/vistafix/Realtek.zip
Drivers from Abit for IP35-E Realtek HD http://www.uabit.com/index.php?opti...ubcategory=1003&model=386&product_name=IP35-E

It's the same chip on the IP35-E and IP35 Pro

I'm not exactly sure how I got it but I have sound now.
I dl'ed a couple sets of drivers and after uninstalling the current set and rebooting...voila...didn't even have to do the install. I also tried to update Nero7 and in the process of doing that, it got uninstalled. May be a non-factor but maybe not...who the hell cares. I can play now! :D

It stupidly took me a month to figure this out (and three installs) so I'll document it here since this is one of the first hits on google (where I have an account):

Use the green port for stereo on Vista. I got no sound on the other ports (which worked fine in XP).

I had to swap my ports from black to green on my system to get sound with my Realtek onboard audio. That did the trick for me.

maybe i'm crazy, but hasn't green always been the default for stereo output?

If I remember correctly, for my Creative cards in the past, the black has been the stereo output when not using a 5.1 system.

Back