• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

No sound from speakers

jime

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
202
I'm using the onboard audio which I hear fine through my headphones but not my speakers. I run the test and the sound comes out of the speakers but if I'm watching a video or playing games, no sound from speakers. It works perfect in Windows XP 32 but not Windows 7 64. I updated the drivers but still no luck.
Any help would be great.


jime
 
Assuming you are connecting the headphones and the speakers to the same port for testing, then you have faulty speakers. Otherwise, we need more information.

How are each (ie: speakers and headphones) being connected? You can connect the speakers to another device to verify if they are functional. If you are using different outputs for each, then you have to select the output being used in the audio setup.
 
Like I wrote, They work perfectly in Windows XP 32bit, both the speakers and headphones, but when I boot into Windows 7 64bit I only get sound through the headphones. I can go into the Realtek Audio Manager and run a config test and they work perfectly through both speakers and headphones. I'm running 7.1 and have side/rear/front/bass speakers.
I just don't understand why I get sound in the set-up but not when I run a video or play a game. I do get sound through the headphones though.

Audio is Realtek ALC889A High Def with 6 jacks.
 
With the only difference being the OS, I would suspect a driver issue. Especially with Win7 (64 is even worse) and Realtek.

Are you disconnecting the headphones when using the speakers?
 
It's not a driver issue. It's a Vista/W7 issue. I recently went through a "similar" type of situation. Vista crippled the way audio out works compared to Windows XP. W7 destroyed how it works compared to XP.

Long story short, Vista/W7 do not and can not broadcast identical audio on all the outputs at once like how Windows XP does by default. Those days are gone and Microsoft has no interest in bringing this function back. Vista/W7 can send audio out on multiple outputs at once but, it has to be different programs and they have to be manually set to the different output channels. Not all programs have this option though.

Here is an example of what Vista/W7 can do:

Ventrilo/Raidcall audio through your headphones while the video game audio is playing through your speakers/receiver.

Here is an example of what Vista/W7 can't do:

Ventrilo/Raidcall audio through your headphones and speakers/receiver while the video game audio is playing through your speakers/receiver and headphones.


Basically if you have multiple output cables hooked to your onboard soundcard, it will only playback audio to the one that is marked as the default device in the Realtek control panel/Windows audio control panel. What you're going to have to do is set the headphones as the default device. When you have the headphones plugged in, sound will go through them. When you unplug the headphones, Vista/W7 will automatically switch to the speakers and start playing sound through them. When you plug the headphones back in, Vista/W7 will automatically start playing the audio back through the headphones.

You are able to hear the "test sounds" in the Realtek control panel when both the headphones and speakers are plugged in because, it either mimics the way Vista/W7 plays back audio on two separate devices with two different programs set to different sound devices or it manages to bypass the Vista/W7 audio limitation and emulates how Windows XP works. The test is highly misleading though and it only exists to allow you to make sure a device "can" output sound.
 
Depends on your point of view I guess. I prefer the Win7 way of handling audio. No reason to have the same audio through headphones and speakers. And if it's only for your mic, then get a different mic.

In any case, the same argument can be made for any changes in how things work. There are always those that want it the old way, and those that want it the new way.

With that said, operation varies by audio chipset and drivers. There are some audio chipsets that work the way that you want. If I can find the thread again, I post the link to where this was discussed before.
 
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. I was hoping that I'd be able to keep both plugged in but, oh well.
It's just a minor inconvenience to take the plug out the back in sometimes. I don't use the front jacks due to kid's rolling over the wires with the chair wheels.

Thanks again,
jime
 
Back
Top