No sound from DAC. How many/which services are responsible for Windows Audio?

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
Aside from "Windows Audio" which is running.

I admit, I may have gone a little crazy disabling things earlier and I must have hit something that affects audio output because although my DAC shows up in device manager and Windows Sound properties, it puts out no sound. It worked before I went on my spree. Does anyone happen to know if and what other than Windows Audio is responsible? Thanks for any help.

(Win10 x64 1809)

This sounds dumb, but make sure you have the correct output device selected in Sound Settings.

Mine loves to jump over to my monitors for some reason because of nVidia HDMI audio drivers (I have them hooked up DP, but they still show up as output devices for some reason). Have to go and manually change the output back over to my actual sound device.

When anything doesnt work as it should you will always be wondering if its down to what you did and can make servicing your windows a huge time sink.
With Windows updates breaking things regularly as well you are in for a world of hurt.
If system restore doesnt work, re-install windows.

ps before going mad with tweaks, make a system backup.
Its helpful to document the changes you make as well. A video of yourself making the changes could be a god send.

Back