• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

No sound cables in case

MrGlobe

Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
907
Alright, i just bought a new motherboard, and also a new case. My old case had cables in it that i connected to the motherboard, which gave me sound. In this new case, there are no cables to connect to the motherboard, and i have no sound. My motherboard has onboard 8 channel audio. HELP! please.

MH
 
i dont understand...do you have a sound card your trying to use or are you using onboard sound?

If your going for onboard make sure its enabled in the bios and the correct drivers are installed. You souldn't need a cable unless your connecting front audio and trying to use that.
 
Yes, i am using onboard. I thought that i shouldnt need any cables, but with my old case, if the cable wasnt connected (that went to the front) you wouldnt get any sound from anywhere. I will try the bios thing, But i am guess its turned on.

Thanks

MH

EDIT: I checked the BIOS, it is set to AUTO, which it is either auto or disabled, so i think this is right. Is there anything else that it could be? I have just installed the latest drivers, so i am pretty sure thats not it either.
 
Are you talking about the gray round cable that ran from the CD-ROM to the motherboard? In Windows XP, you no longer needed that. Maybe 2000 too, I'm not too sure.

If there's another cable, I have no idea what other cable there would be for sound... lol.
 
Well shit, On my old case, there was a cable that came from the front of the case, it was for the front hookups, and unless it was hooked in, none of the speaker outs worked, front or back. So i thought that you needed one of those, so now i am looking for it, but can't find. So i have checked the bios, checked the speakers/headphones, i ahave instlalled the latest drivers, fawk, what is it!?

MH
 
MikeHunt988 said:
Well shit, On my old case, there was a cable that came from the front of the case, it was for the front hookups, and unless it was hooked in, none of the speaker outs worked, front or back. So i thought that you needed one of those, so now i am looking for it, but can't find. So i have checked the bios, checked the speakers/headphones, i ahave instlalled the latest drivers, fawk, what is it!?

MH

You might want to tell us what motherboard it is.

The reason your old mobo wouldn't produce sound without the cables installed is that some motherboards require jumpers to be placed across the pins where the cables aren't connected.
 
WOW, thank you so much, after thinking for a while about the jumpers, i realized that i had taken 2 jumpers off the audio pins when i took the mobo out of the case. I just put them back on and voila! sound!

Thanks so much

MH
 
Thank you for this thread...

I've been fighting the same problem for hours.

I put a new mobo in my case with front speaker outputs and removed the jumpers to install the cable. All was well.

Took the old mobo and put it in an old case with no front speaker outputs and did not have sound until I read this thread and jumped the front speaker pins. Now, finally, I have sound.

Thx thx thx!!!
 
Back
Top