No removal of stock HSF paste before applying thermal paste...did this jump my temps?

OsageCowboy

Limp Gawd
could this be the culprit behind my 70C temp readings. I never removed the stock paste/adhesive stuff on the Intel HSF.

so you never took off the paste that was there and then you decided to add more?

well i didn't realize that was paste on there...but yes i dabbled a LIGHT coating of the silver paste on top of the CPU; if there is too much paste, can this cause a jump in temps? is this the root of my 70C @ 2.86 GHz issue?

Um yeah... that would be the problem.

Why on earth did you do that? Second case of that today :eek: :confused:

I DIDNT KNOW THAT WAS A PASTE ON THERE!!!! dang. now please help me with cleaning this crap off. i plan on starting with a Q-tip to remove the excess material, and then applying the 91% alcohol i just purchased, either on a swab or on the Q-tip. does this sound right? should i remove the CPU?

man oh man handling the CPU makes me ever so nervous. how do I properly handle it? just hold the edges and not touch the prongs?

how much alcohol do I use, and what do I put it on...Q tip or cotton swab? BLECHSTAS!

man oh man handling the CPU makes me ever so nervous. how do I properly handle it? just hold the edges and not touch the prongs?

how much alcohol do I use, and what do I put it on...Q tip or cotton swab? BLECHSTAS!

Yes, just hold it by the edges and don't worry, it'll be fine. (When I helped my brother build his new system a few months ago we even cleaned the surfaces before the first install, just to be sure that there were no prints or anything on the HFS/CPU)

Personally I would just use a cotton swab with a little alcohol on, you'll probably go trough a lot of swabs before you have it all of but that's life. In the end when you have gotten it all off, take a piece of microfiber cloth with a bit of alcohol and polish it lightly (the kind of cloth you use for cleaning glasses should do fine).

I DIDNT KNOW THAT WAS A PASTE ON THERE!!!! dang. now please help me with cleaning this crap off. i plan on starting with a Q-tip to remove the excess material, and then applying the 91% alcohol i just purchased, either on a swab or on the Q-tip. does this sound right? should i remove the CPU?
lol dont worry...now that you've found the problem it should come back to normal :)

Darth Bobo said:
Yes, just hold it by the edges and don't worry, it'll be fine. (When I helped my brother build his new system a few months ago we even cleaned the surfaces before the first install, just to be sure that there were no prints or anything on the HFS/CPU)
If you're not comfortable holding it by the edges you can always tuck away the pins in some soft foam and whipe it there

Darth Bobo said:
Personally I would just use a cotton swab with a little alcohol on, you'll probably go trough a lot of swabs before you have it all of but that's life. In the end when you have gotten it all off, take a piece of microfiber cloth with a bit of alcohol and polish it lightly (the kind of cloth you use for cleaning glasses should do fine).
x2

Careful when its time to apply thermal paste...you dont want to apply too much...which one are you using btw?

CPU's are very tough. The pins look fragile but there are so many that it even tough to bend them (unless you push on just 3-4 pins at once which is hard to do). Just don't drop it on the hardwood floor or tile and then step on it.

Next time, be a man and just dip the CPU in the thermal paste. I mean, if you wanna screw it up, you might as well do it right.

According to his sig, he's got a C2D so there are no pins to worry about.

If you're scared LEAVE THE CPU IN THE SOCKET. It's FINE to do that. I've cleaned maybe 500 processors last year, and each was in the socket.

I used Cotton balls to clean it off.

wow. downed the voltage to bare minimum at 1.2v; vdroop is NO MORE than 1.16-1.18. appears to be rock solid stable and does not exceed 55C after I turned the FSB down to 1.3v. lookin' good on the stock cool!!!!

Just remember if you intend to up the voltage at all and oc that thing, the stock cooler needs to go in the trash can. It will perform like garbage compared to an aftermarket cooler. Even at stock speeds sub 1.2v my e6600 will run at 28/29c with a quality aftermarket cooler.

Next time, be a man and just dip the CPU in the thermal paste. I mean, if you wanna screw it up, you might as well do it right.

That is the most amazing quote I heard all day. i don;t know why, but that struck me as horridly funny. Thanks!

@OsageCowboy: Coffee filter and 91% alcohol will do the trick. Coffee filter leaves no residue behind. Q-Tips and cotton balls are fine, I just prefer to be on the safe side when I clean.

@OsageCowboy: Coffee filter and 91% alcohol will do the trick. Coffee filter leaves no residue behind. Q-Tips and cotton balls are fine, I just prefer to be on the safe side when I clean.

Coffee filters... BUT, BUT! They are for making Coffee!!! No CPU is worth running the risk of not having filters to make coffee...

;)

Coffee filters... BUT, BUT! They are for making Coffee!!! No CPU is worth running the risk of not having filters to make coffee...

;)

They come in packs of like 3000! At a rate of 1 pot per day, thats 8.2 years. If it takes you that long to realize you are running low on filters, you have bigger problems on your hands. ^.^

I just leave the CPU in the socket and use paper towels and 91% isopropyl. It's not that I'm lazy, it's that it works fine.

Coffee filters are great too, except my grocery store stopped carrying them. "WTF," said I.

Paper towels are cheap. You just gotta make sure they don't leave any dust.

I just leave the CPU in the socket and use paper towels and 91% isopropyl. It's not that I'm lazy, it's that it works fine.

Coffee filters are great too, except my grocery store stopped carrying them. "WTF," said I.

Paper towels are cheap. You just gotta make sure they don't leave any dust.

I guess they bought all that "caffeine is bad for you" BS.

Sorry for asking, but I just thought cotton would leave little traces of it on the CPU/HS, does it?:confused: :p

nah it really doesn't, especially in conjunction with alcohol. one thing I used that worked very well were my fiancee's cosmetic non-latex face wedges. you can find these at duane reade or CVS or Walgreen's. they are triangular shaped and have a kind of rubbery type texture to them and they are extremely effective at removing the paste.

nah it really doesn't, especially in conjunction with alcohol. one thing I used that worked very well were my fiancee's cosmetic non-latex face wedges. you can find these at duane reade or CVS or Walgreen's. they are triangular shaped and have a kind of rubbery type texture to them and they are extremely effective at removing the paste.

oh,yeah - I think I know what you are talking about (my Mum's)

and thanks:D

Back