No reasonable ways to go from Apple Cinema (mini displayport) -> PC?

js09

Limp Gawd
Why is there no simple solution for using an apple cinema display with a PC? I need a mini displayport FEMALE -> HDMI or DVi adapter and they seem to not exist.

All I see is this, which I refuse to buy due to apple's proprietary product arrogance.

http://www.amazon.com/AT-DP400-Disp...onvert/dp/B003CWEXWO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is there any other way?

Will I need to buy a new video card that includes a mini displayport? If so, can someone recommend one that is basic and not for gaming.

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
DisplayPort and DVI/HDMI are different signals. You can't use an adapter. Either you need a converter like the Atlona or you need a video card with DisplayPort (or mini DisplayPort). You can use a DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort adapter if necessary.

Last edited:
i'm using an apple cinema display with my PC right now... all you need to do is buy a mini displayport (female) to displayport (male) adapter and plug into a video card with displayport. Or, plenty of AMD cards have mini displayport outputs. it works fine and blows any other IPS monitor out of the water due to no AG coating.

All I see is this, which I refuse to buy due to apple's proprietary product arrogance.

Well, technically mDP is a superior interface to DVI regarding video bandwidth. Can't really fault Apple for using it. Heck, I think even DELL has some DisplayPort monitors on the market. I really like my ACD27", your best bet is to just pick up a cheap new video card. :D

Well, technically mDP is a superior interface to DVI regarding video bandwidth. Can't really fault Apple for using it. Heck, I think even DELL has some DisplayPort monitors on the market. I really like my ACD27", your best bet is to just pick up a cheap new video card. :D

why not use hdmi?

DP includes compatibility for HDMI in its spec., but it is included as an option, not a requirement, for those implementing it.

HDMI is a poor choice for the ACD as most common HDMI implementations top out at 1920x1200 (although technically HDMI does have the bandwidth to support far greater resolutions if implemented that way).

DVI-DL (dual link, single link DVI can not handle the ACD) is also an option for the ACD's resolution and is used by the Dell displays (which also support DP).

Given the choice between DVI-DL and DP, however, I would rather have DP as the connector is more convenient and the spec. has more expansion potential. The only problem with DP is that NV has not gotten on board with it yet while AMD and Intel have.

The only problem with DP is that NV has not gotten on board with it yet while AMD and Intel have.

Don't worry, I'm sure they are just busy working on their own proprietary connector, they seem to enjoy that sort of thing. :(

Back