• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

No Raid, so what to use?

Lugztaz

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
1,783
My mobo supports SATA but not raid, and i have 2 300GB hdd's I want to use but i want one to have a copy of everything the first one dose incase of one dieing.

Is there software RAID i can use or just some type of backup utility to use?

Mobo is Intel D865PERL
Windows XP
 
To be honest, I would suggest putting one in an external enclosure, and backing up to it. Then, you can remove it for safe keeping
 
Personally I'd tend to go for the removable storage option as well but there are some software options. XP can be set up to do software raid mirroring etc. Can't remember exactly how to do it you'd need to check that out but i think it goes along the lines of converting the disks your going to be using to be dynamic disks. That can be done in disk management (right click my computer > manage). Then need to right click on your mirror drive and set it to be a mirrored volume. Theres also plenty of other handy programs out there for doing it, partitions magic has a utility in it for one.
 
scotlandrocks said:
Personally I'd tend to go for the removable storage option as well but there are some software options. XP can be set up to do software raid mirroring etc. Can't remember exactly how to do it you'd need to check that out but i think it goes along the lines of converting the disks your going to be using to be dynamic disks. That can be done in disk management (right click my computer > manage). Then need to right click on your mirror drive and set it to be a mirrored volume. Theres also plenty of other handy programs out there for doing it, partitions magic has a utility in it for one.
Not by default, and I had my post edited the last time I posted a direct link to the website that gives detailed instructions on how to do this. I hear it's by some guy named Tom, but YMMV.

Best thing that one can do in this situation is purchase a PCI controller card on the cheap.

I just purchased one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124020

This would probably do just as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124023
 
Back
Top