No PS3 pre-orders till Sept.

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
My roomate, who happes to be a general manger of an EB, filled me in that they are likely not going to start taking pre-orders for PS3s till September. Apparently, the company wants to avoid the fiasco/headache that was the 360 launch.

Still, as much as I'd like to do my order at his store, if anyone else has info on places starting orders sooner, fill me in. I have a feeling this is the first time we are going to see people camping out just to reserve a system...

The gamestop here isn't taking them yet, but i know i've heard of a few that are, maybe call around your area?

That's good. At least the "game store" won't be sold out of a system 6 months before it's on the shelf. I always found that puzzling. The whole fiasco has nothing to do with people reserving anything but more allowing the store to report their revenue differently.

Domingo said:
That's good. At least the "game store" won't be sold out of a system 6 months before it's on the shelf. I always found that puzzling. The whole fiasco has nothing to do with people reserving anything but more allowing the store to report their revenue differently.

Well the official word from Westchester is that they want to wait until they get a good idea as too how many machines each store will get, and only allow pre-orders for that many.

This is the first system I have planned on pre-ordering, but I remember the cold night outside the K-Mart waiting to get my PS2 (and watching other camper's piss in the depository of an Aquafina machine) and it is an experience I would rather not repeat.

NulloModo said:
Well the official word from Westchester is that they want to wait until they get a good idea as too how many machines each store will get, and only allow pre-orders for that many.

This is the first system I have planned on pre-ordering, but I remember the cold night outside the K-Mart waiting to get my PS2 (and watching other camper's piss in the depository of an Aquafina machine) and it is an experience I would rather not repeat.

The problem I have with pre-orders is that they tend to only order what the pre-orders dictate. In a lot of cases, stores got crazy uneven amounts of PS2 and 360's just based on that. I feel that the ability to pre-order machines are part of this bigger problem that's recently created system shortages.
Pre-orders aren't necessarily designed to help anyone but the store. I allows them to pick up revenue at $500+ a pop in the slow season.
If you don't want to wait in a line, buy it online. I bought my 360 online (from Wal Mart) the 3rd week of October. Had I ordered next-day shipping like some people did, I actually would've gotten the machine the day before retail did as it shipped on Saturday.
If I'm going to bother supporting a conglomerate by giving them my money early, I might as well get it from one who'll guarantee me a machine and doesn't bill itself as being "for gamers." I didn't hear about any Wal-Mart orders not being delivered on time, but for games stores it was horrible.

An ebgames around me was taking preorders upon purchase of god of war 2 or something like that. :confused:

Back