No Post Count?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes what happened to post count? I worked my way up from stank cheeze :p all the way up to hard Gawd now there no more :eek: Bring post count back if possible

you can still click on a persons name to see their post count.

I kinda miss the post count too. Of course I most often didnt look at it unless someone was being an asshat. I normaly go by join date.

As noted, if you really want to see it, then you can do so easily. It will no longer be displayed prominently as it seems to be the source of more problems than benefits.

LiquidX said:
Well its was good for the sale/trade section but oh well.

Just because one has a lot of post counts DOES NOT mean they are a good trader, trust me:)

I kinda liked that post count was there too but as long as we still have our ranks there I guess it doesnt matter that much...

I normaly go by join date.
IMO, not really valid either. There's plenty of valid points to be had from someone who say joined Jan 2004, as from Jan 2000.. Not to mention those of us who were long time lurkers - ie: I was one for I'd say well over a year before I actually got around to signing up.

Also, just b/c someone has 1024+ posts doesn't make them any more knowledgeable than the sub 128 people - I could think of a few with well over 1000 that are complete asshats.

Kyle hit the nail on the head - causes more problems than not. How many threads would break out in flame wars over someone being a "Cheeze"??

I miss the post count as well. As I've been browsing the forum today, my eye still looks right below every poster's name and expects to see a number... But nothing is there :(

Boscoh said:
I'd think the post count being displayed would tack on a lot of overhead. Everytime someone posts, the forum has to go through and change the post count on ALL their posts. That could be a lot of updating.

Is that correct Kyle?

I highly doubt it; it would be so much more efficient to attach a variable to a user account that gets incremented after every post. Scanning the entire database to dynamically generate that information would be... well, stupid. ;)

I like the post count being gone,err well... hidden. There always seemed to be a quite race to be the top poster and people spamming the board just to get out of cheeze status. Plus I put less stock into that mad posters message simply because they had 1000 post in a week.

I don’t think I've posted since things changed. I forgot where my post count was. Couldn’t find it I’m my own profile, so I'm posting to look. ;) Where are the thresholds for the levels/titles. IIRC they're some multiple of 8 thingy.
Edit:Aww man, only 600ish. At my rate of .57 posts per day it will take me years to reach 1024.

there has been "A LOT" of discussion about this. i personally am glad its gone. people would look at the person's posts and see that they only had 14 posts so they would think that they didnt know what they where talking about when actually he would be very smart. they guy with the most posts would say somthing and he would think oh this guy has 2340 posts i will listen to him when he really is a bone head. im very glad its gone. there is no judging.

I'm glad it's removed from the therads.

Post count seems to have been a major excuse for being a prick to tohers in the past. Given now it will just be using titles like that, but oh well.

Anyways, who cares how many posts someone has had?

Na, it is not that intensive. We just think you guys are good enough to be judged on the content of your posts instead of the amount of them. :eek:

Talon Blackrazor said:
I highly doubt it; it would be so much more efficient to attach a variable to a user account that gets incremented after every post. Scanning the entire database to dynamically generate that information would be... well, stupid. ;)

Since the page you see infront of you is dynamically created via the wonders of php, it would grab your post count from the db as it generated the page. You post again, then that information is used when each page is generated. The post count is incremented in the user table each time you post - it's a simple transaction.

Displaying it is one more piece of data that needs to be pulled from the db, processed, and then displayed - with the amount of traffic the HardForums get, this could be a real time saver.

It was interesting to see someone with twice the number of posts as me and had only been a member for a few months. I actually have a life... somewhere... really..

Peace,
Tim

i think the ranking system has to go too..

limp gawds calling cheeze's names, and cheeze's calling stank cheeze names and shit is just stupid.

I also am glad its hidden makes things better in the long run. Hopefully people won't try to run up there post count just to have a certain name under there screen name.

Stang Man said:
i think the ranking system has to go too..

limp gawds calling cheeze's names, and cheeze's calling stank cheeze names and shit is just stupid.
thats noot as big of a deal because it doesnt say how many posts you have. the admins changed the names to so its not as bad anymore. so its all good. there really isnt any reason to keep this thread going anymore this topic has been argued over and over again...

wipeout833 said:
I also am glad its hidden makes things better in the long run. Hopefully people won't try to run up there post count just to have a certain name under there screen name.
SHHHHH!!!! dont give them any ideas

sorry about the double post i cant quote two times anymore :(

BadAssAccountant said:
I'd like to see the post counts come back and the titles go away.

Otherwise, the upgrade looks good.
why?

you would get more crap with the posts counts than with the title.

i believe kyle has decided to leave it how it is.

After reading this thread, I have changed my mind. I agree now that the postcount caused more problems than it solved (can't thing of any it solved really...), and I imagine it does reduce the occurence of some problems.

I really would still keep the rank. For new readers and posters, it (or postcount, who cares) can be a source for checking how experienced and valid somebody's post is. There are always exceptions to this, but without postcount or rank there is no way to tell the difference between a long time quality poster and somebody that has been banned 6 times and simply signed up under a new name each time.

I vote for keeping it the way it is.

EDIT: on inspection of the new popup menu things that come up when you click on somebody's name, I had an idea. Would it be too hard to put the post count in that? I'm not sure I'd want that though. What are other people's opinions on this?

hdgdg.jpg

I think foreignkid is talking about showing the postcount in the actual little menu that pops up when you click on a user's name. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I'm not sure if I like that though.

now that i read it, it can go both ways... its kinda pointles to have it in the drop down.

DRJ1014 said:
now that i read it, it can go both ways... its kinda pointles to have it in the drop down.
Not too mention DHTML doesn't work in all browsers. ;)

How about this?

Disable postcount.

Disable ranking.

Enable custom titles from when you sign up.

That way any reason to spam will be gone unless you suffer from the rare spamming muppet syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back