• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

No Optical out on X-FI?

peacetilence

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
2,343
I'm looking to replace my Chaintech AV-710 with a different card because I get popping noises in games, the card doesn't allow me to change volume within windows (I think it might be sending too strong a signal to my receiver but I can't even test), has limited functionality etc. (I made a horrible mistake and waste on money buying this card ) What I do like about this card is that it has optical out and allows Dolby Digital and DTS streams to my receiver. I was looking at new cards to replace this (to eliminate the popping in games) and I saw the X-FI doesn't appear to have SPDIF optical on the card, I see the $200+ models have external drive bay controllers with SPDIF but I really have no interest in one of those as I will only ever use spdif and control the volume on my receiver. I really don't feel the need to pay extra for a creative card when all the extra is for more expencive DAC's a remote and External bay controller (ie junk I don't need). Are there any companies that make a sound card that A) Works in games B) Has optical output (and will allow DD,DTS to be decoded by a receiver) C) Isn't a piece of junk.

I find it highly odd creative charges so much for a sound card yet it doesn't have SPDIF on it by default, using an extrernal box just seems cheap (also wouldn't it have to convert the optical from analog this way??)
 
It doesn't have the optical but does have coaxial for SPDIF. I think I saw a Turtle Beach card that had both at newegg so there are others out there. Your receiver should have a digital coax input for this. It does mean you would need a new cable.
 
Back
Top