No more "shortchanged" 20GB PS3

The18thLetter

[H]ard|Gawd
That's right, naysayers!
The 20GB model of PS3 now includes an HDMI port, and is set to be released at a lower price than originally announced in Japan (49,980 yen ~ $429).

This is INDEED true for all 20GB PS3's worldwide. However, the price change for other territories is still up in the air.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734010p1.html
See 7:22 and 7:25.

EDIT: WHOOOAAA!!
According to the Magic Box (http://the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm)..
Ken Kutaragi announced that the 20GB version of PlayStation 3 will come with one HDMI port, and the 60GB version will have two HDMI ports for super letterbox display on side-by-side HDTVs. The 20GB version will be sold for 49980 yen in Japan on November 11, 2006.
That's unconfirmed, but very interesting to know at the least.

Good. Now drop the price of the REAL PS3.
If they can add shit and still drop the price on the neutered version, they can most certainly drop the price on the premium.

Oh yeah, they said the crappy version would be cheaper. (Dont know if you saw that.)

Still too expensive. $450-$500 or $550-$600.
at that point, discounts dont matter.

very interesting, still not sure if I'll buy one.

especially since I've seen videos of lost odysee (sp?) and blue dragon and mass effect.

This makes me a lot more interested in the PS3 than I was. the neutered version will pretty much be on the lvl with the high end Xbox 360. I would be willing to spend $430 for something similar to 360 but with BD. Wouldn't be worth it to me till more games start rolling out for it and that their in enough stores to be able to walk in and pick one up.

Good news indeed. Adding the HDMI port no longer makes it a gimped version in my opinion. I mean seriously how many people here are going to use the side by side HDTV feature with the two HDMI ports? The only other difference is the color on the bezel and the size of the HDD. Having a smaller HDD isn't much of a gimp, not near as bad as the 360's no HDD gimped version.

I still wont buy one, but dual monitor on a PS3, that's just cool.

It be cool as hell to see two 65" HDTV side-by-side, or dual projectors...damn

zero002021 said:
Still too expensive. Give me a system without Blue-Ray for $400.

You're getting a gaming system AND Blue-Ray for $400, that's a better deal than the X360.

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that less than two months from launch they are still altering the specs? Shouldn't they be manufacturing these things by now?

Killdozer said:
You're getting a gaming system AND Blue-Ray for $400, that's a better deal than the X360.

Not unless he lives in Japan. That price drop is not effective worldwide, it's only good in Japan. So in the U.S. it will still be $500 for the "cheap" one.

Let's see, Europe delayed 4 months, price drop for Japan only, yeah, a pretty clear pecking order is being established by Sony.

JethroXP said:
Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that less than two months from launch they are still altering the specs? Shouldn't they be manufacturing these things by now?

QFT. Can't listen to a damn thing that comes out of the horses mouth untill its done.

You know, there were a few people saying that Sony would alter the price before they launched. Kudos to them as it looks like they were right... but has the damage already been done?

JethroXP said:
Well considering there are going to be 500,000 at launch, and only a rumored 20% of those (100,000) are actually 20GB, it's not that serious.
Regardless, the 20GB model is looking mighty tasty now... lol

I would like SCEA to make the 20GB model $450 at least, though. I'm going to have to wait til morning here in the States to see what happens...

Psychotext said:
You know, there were a few people saying that Sony would alter the price before they launched. Kudos to them as it looks like they were right... but has the damage already been done?

Not really, most of the people that end up buying them don't sit sweating over tiny tidbits of information and working themselves into a tizz about it all.

The biggest mistake they have made was delaying Europe as Europeans will probably all go and buy a 360 now. Even not having many at Launch isn't that much of an issue, Playstation unfortunately still has enough latant brand recognition that as soon as its 'released' people will see that it is out and just wait till they can get their hands on it.

Adding a HDMI port to the $500 PS3 version corrects the only major flaw I saw with the cheaper model and is a great move by Sony. I still won't be purchasing a PS3 any time soon because I am extremely happy with my xbox360 right now and its great list of upcoming games. Also, $500 is still a lot of cash, but I may buy a ps3 in a year or two after a price drop and depending on how the games come along.

I would actually recommend the $500 version over the $600 PS3 now. A wireless connection is the only great feature the $600 model has over the $500 model and you can pick up a router to use as a wireless bridge for ~$30 (I paid $15 but it was a clearence item). Whats the point of having memory card readers. USB memory sticks are usually cheaper and work great. There's also the hard drive space, but do you really need more than 20 GB of hard drive space?

Iratus said:
Not really, most of the people that end up buying them don't sit sweating over tiny tidbits of information and working themselves into a tizz about it all.
Maybe, but it's also possible that quite a number of people went out and bought a 360 or decided to get a Nintendo when the initial bad news hit. This is obviously a good move for generating publicity closer to the launch, but I'm not sure if overall it's better to do it this way.

Oh, and on a different note. If we're lucky this might put a bit of pressure on MS to come up with some good bundles / price cut.

im guessing the hdmi port add-on was decided a bit before the info was released to the media...
now both the PS3 systems can run full HD at 1080p unlike the 360, which is flawed due to the lack of an hdmi or dvi port... considering how only a very small percentage of hdtvs support 1080p through component... itll be interesting to see where this goes...

now im just crossing my fingers for a price drop on the 600 deal

there seems to have been better news regarding the PS3 in recent weeks

l177l3d said:
im guessing the hdmi port add-on was decided a bit before the info was released to the media...
now both the PS3 systems can run full HD at 1080p unlike the 360, which is flawed due to the lack of an hdmi or dvi port... considering how only a very small percentage of hdtvs support 1080p through component... itll be interesting to see where this goes...

just to make sure you know that this is only for japan and they are only getting 100,000 of then on release day. as of the news we have so far at least.

yeah, price cut only in japan, as of now... but i believe their hdmi port add-on is on every core unit, correct? as i posted in the other thread... i dont see how ppl can complain... they are already giving us more hardware for the same value... even if they didnt lower the price for us and lowered it for someone else... well, life's not always fair, especially when it comes to prices of things in different countries...

point is, they are trying to improve their product... how can sony be flamed for giving us more? :rolleyes:

l177l3d said:

They still have to program games that are actually playable at 1080p; despite the straws you've grasped onto (Virtua Tennis), very few games are at that level.

You're vastly overestimating the importance of 1080p.

They aren't giving us a better product for a greater value; they're finally delivering on one of the promises that they broke a long time ago. HDMI was never supposed to be an optional feature (Hell, they once promised that they would never do two SKUs). HDMI was always supposed to be there, yet they backed out on their claims (Just like they've done many times before).

Lair is also on the works for 1080p, as is resistance.

While it's not the price and support that some wanted from sony, it certaintly got a LOT more interesting, that can't be denied.

Sephiros said:
Lair is also on the works for 1080p, as is resistance.

While it's not the price and support that some wanted from sony, it certaintly got a LOT more interesting, that can't be denied.

...wow. A whole three games? I guess that justifies the price of a quality 1080p set :rolleyes:

virtua tennis was simply the first to actually be seen in 1080p... but with goals of having (as previously posted) lair, GTHD (and i will mention it because i still believe that selling an empty game with all content to be purchased is absurd, and until i actually see it or hear an official release of the news... ill wait for its release), resistance fall of man, NBA 07, and if i recall, there were a few more that were in the works with 1080p as a goal...
some have said that 1080p looks much better than 720p, i cant comment on that right now, but i dont think im the only one who thinks that a game in 1080p on a 52"+ tv is going to look better than 720p/1080i...
in fact... just because MS decided to add the patch for 1080p when the 360 doesnt even have the full hardware support for it shows that 1080p is desired and that if games are already shownig up in 1080p at launch, u can only expect there to be more in the future...

its not a matter of under/overestimating the importance of 1080p, since at the current time, we dont even know what 1080p is capable of...

indeed, sony has been cutting stuff out, and putting stuff back in, but i see the hdmi port as 1 additional thing that they are delivering on... they heard us when we complained about the core not having hdmi... as such have added it back in... im glad to know that as cocky and full of shit as they are, they are still to some degree trying to cater to the consumers... sony COULD have left it out but they chose to put it in... we werent expecting it to go back in, so im just going to see this as 1 piece of good news...

It doesn't matter what 1080p looks like. The price of quality 1080p sets is far too high. Most people who own HDTVs now aren't going to turn around and buy another just because the image looks a little better; Hell, most people won't even know the difference between 1080p and 1080i, let alone be able to physicall tell the difference.

K600 said:
...wow. A whole three games? I guess that justifies the price of a quality 1080p set :rolleyes:

are u just in denial or what? are u voting for technology to stand still and for games to remain at 720p/1080i?

creating a game console isnt just about what is popular NOW... its also about having the foresight to see what is COMING in the next few years...

3-4 games shows that there is potential, and right now, thats all that matters... its the same with blu-ray/hd-dvd, neither are going to win, its all about which has more potential in the long run...

can u deny that the majority of the tvs sold today are hdtvs?

its the direction we are headed in, stop trying to deny it :rolleyes:

l177l3d said:
are u just in denial or what? are u voting for technology to stand still and for games to remain at 720p/1080i?

creating a game console isnt just about what is popular NOW... its also about having the foresight to see what is COMING in the next few years...

3-4 games shows that there is potential, and right now, thats all that matters... its the same with blu-ray/hd-dvd, neither are going to win, its all about which has more potential in the long run...

This is way too easy. Please; if you're going to pretend to know something about the future of the industry, do some research first.

1. Technology only progresses so long as it is cost-effective. The PS3 isn't cost-effective. Blu-Ray isn't cost-effective. Sony realizes this as they're now revising their prices in their homeland.

2. 1080p isn't going to be the standard in the "next few years". HDTV broadcasting isn't even common now in the standard 1080i/720p formats.

3. The majority of HDTVs sold today aren't 1080p. The majority of people who buy those televisions aren't going to buy another for quite some time (This isn't a market that upgrades often).

Do a little research before you open your mouth next time.

Since someone else mentioned the production issue: according to Kutaragi and Hirai from the beginning of the month (in the same article where they confirmed the production drop) they said that full production of the PSgrill would start "at the end of the month." We're pretty much there now, and it looks like they have at least a few PSgrills at TGS, so they may have made a last-minute change--easy enough to do if both models have just the one HDMI port--prior to the official cranking up of the production lines...

JethroXP said:
Units alive and kicking. It's just that they decided to tell the public now.

**Looks over shoulder, drinks hot choco and smears cream cheese on a jelly doughnut**

I will say that this makes me much more interested in a PS3, as much as I hate sonys azz, there is no substitution for resolution (P.C. wise anyways :p ). Good gameplay is a must, or resloution means shit. But good resolution is not required for good gameplay... obviously :p

HDMI is a must for what Sony is callnig a 10 year item (not bloody likely, but I see the point)

I still maintain that Sony is trying to sell us a device that will be the centerpiece of a home entertaitnment system- movies and games in one box, music and online content too. Just hook it to a display and (optionally) a reciever and you have a full kit in one device.

It's still TBD if it is worth it, but I'm ready to sign up. HDMI 1.3 is the future- We still don't know if the pS3 can output hi-res audio (new generation of DD and DTS) to a compatible reciever yet.

I'm beginning to see rumbles that there will be Blu Ray players in '07 for $500, and that the second gen of HD-DVD will be More money for less features.

I havea 720P projector calling for it now. I hope I can get one early- but I'm not pre ordering ro standing in line. I'll pick one up when I can.

I just want Twisted Metal HD!

K600 said:
This is way too easy. Please; if you're going to pretend to know something about the future of the industry, do some research first.

1. Technology only progresses so long as it is cost-effective. The PS3 isn't cost-effective. Blu-Ray isn't cost-effective. Sony realizes this as they're now revising their prices in their homeland.

2. 1080p isn't going to be the standard in the "next few years". HDTV broadcasting isn't even common now in the standard 1080i/720p formats.

3. The majority of HDTVs sold today aren't 1080p. The majority of people who buy those televisions aren't going to buy another for quite some time (This isn't a market that upgrades often).

Do a little research before you open your mouth next time.

lol, very funny...
1) technology is not cost-effective... new technology is expensive, very damn expensive, hence why companies are tossing tons of cash into R&D... of course, over time, the cost of items drops... making it more realistic and eventually turning a profit... why do u think the 100"+ lcd hdtv was made? who can afford that tv? fact is, it's a milstone for flat pannel tvs... when dvds first started out, they were expensive, they are dirt cheap right now -- many years after its introduction, duo core cpus are expensive right now, 1 year from now? probably dirt cheap... when lcds were first introduced, they were damn expensive as well, but they lived on and over time, look at it now... i mean, back in 2002 i picked up a 19" fp for around 600, today, u can get the same 19" fp for like 200...

products become cheaper due to an increased number of production lines, cheaper methods to manufacture certain parts, outsourcing, etc... but one thing is sure, they do not START OFF CHEAP

2-3) 1080p may not be the standard right now, but that IS the direction we are heading in... the trend RIGHT NOW is headed toward HDTVs alone, being 720p/1080i, however it is also important to note that there are a shitload of new lcd hdtvs 1080p compatible as well as dlps that are 1080p compatible...

whether you like it or not, its happening, 1080p gaming is just over the horizon

btw, yeah, consumers dont replace tvs often... yet, u wonder why these companies are consistently releasing new hdtvs... there will ALWAYS be consumers upgrading, sure, you may not be upgrading, but someone out there is... and thats all that matters...

ppl dont upgrade cars frequently, yet cars are still being sold, with better features, its the way things work... right now, right this instant, there are tons of ppl looking to buy a new tv...

Last I read, the 20GB model does not have WiFi nor a Memory Stick port. Has this changed?

it has not, the core will not have the memory stick slots or the wifi... but neither are not absolutely necessary to the overall performance of the system... so itz good ^^

Well It's sort of off topic, but I have downloaded all videos that I found from TGS
For the Ps3 I must say that I'm impressed by:

- motorstorm
- devil may cry (AWESOME!)
- White Knight Story (though it's only at 10%)

And that I also found to my liking

- RR 7 (come on I like the series since the first! =P)
- Hot Shots Golf
- Formula 1
- MGS

Now only if the pricecuts find their way out of japan, I'm all for it.

Edited due to misinterpretation =P

l177l3d said:

Actually yes, you CAN deny that the majority of TV's sold today are HDTV's, because they AREN'T. As recently as a MONTH ago the sales numbers stated that 41% of US tv sales were HDTV's. Now, I'm no mathematics major, but it strikes me that 41% is less than half, which means that no, most TV's sold today are NOT HDTV's. Source .

HDTV's are clearly gaining ground, but they're not yet in the majority of sales nor in installed base. We still have a few years to go before either of those can be claimed.

Jason

ClearM4 said:
Adding a HDMI port to the $500 PS3 version corrects the only major flaw I saw with the cheaper model and is a great move by Sony. I still won't be purchasing a PS3 any time soon because I am extremely happy with my xbox360 right now and its great list of upcoming games. Also, $500 is still a lot of cash, but I may buy a ps3 in a year or two after a price drop and depending on how the games come along.

This is the same boat I'm in right now. Still will not be picking up a ps3 for a while but this is a turn in the right direction. I'm waiting for it to hit a price drop or 2 and have a good selection of games. Also while I like all of the talk sony has been doing about their online plan I want to see it in action. I just have this feeling that sony and nintendo will not get their online systems working right off the bat as well as xbox live is working now. I'm thinking it will take them a good year to get most of the features added.

Back