No More Pirated Games In Two Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
I would be skeptical if this claim was coming from game developers or publishers but this is coming straight from the mouths of the people that pirate the games. :eek:

The founder of notorious Chinese cracking forum 3DM is warning that given the current state of anti-piracy technology, in two years there might be no more pirate games to play. The claims come after attempts to breach the Denuvo security protecting Just Cause 3 pushed the group's cracking expert to breaking point.

well good. Publishers do deserve to have money. Kids/adults who don't want to actually work to earn a few bucks for games don't deserve to play it.

Though on the other hand I do think a nice shareware demo system is in order. It also sucks spending $60 for a game that's shit.

People still pirate games? Honestly I didn't think it was the DRM that turned people off but instead all the trojans and malware that gets tacked on... Of course I've been out of the loop on all that for a decade now. So maybe I'm just naive.

I doubt it, pirated software is the easiest to get it ever has been. They'll just switch approaches.

I stopped pirating software years ago, but I'll admit I used to pirate computer games and software when I was a kid and didn't have any money. I think as long as there is a will, there is a way. Even when the hardware maker is complicit in the DRM people still hack it, case in point the PS4 which has recently been hacked to run Linux.

yeah right. feel free to quote me on this - thats a load of shit. reading the context of the post, hes implying that drm will get so complex that the pirate groups window of opportunity for their work to become popularized, ie, within the first few months of a games release, might be missed. that would only happen if these guys remain complacent.

failure to acknowledge the simple fact that cracking groups could easily expand or even band together to defeat higher orders of complexity in drm makes me question this guys motives, in fact

Well this is not good.... what are publishers going to blame when a game flops?

The downside is that legit users will suffer as these company tries to to lock down everything.

The only way you can truly stop piracy is to make the game dependent on something only the company have on their end. And when these companies decided that you should stop playing the games, the validation services will be taken down and we will have no any means to work around it.

Why pirate the game (JC3) if you could get it like 50% off on the release day from one of the online resellers? Sheesh.

Why pirate the game (JC3) if you could get it like 50% off on the release day from one of the online resellers? Sheesh.

There are these things called "countries"...and there are a few of them in the world. In some of these countries people make a lot less than than people do in Western countries. So something like a even a 50% discounted $60 game would be like buying a fully loaded Surface Book in comparison. Think about that for a second and realize why piracy exists considering that well over 70% of the worlds population is in that boat.

I thought Steam, Origin, GOG, etc. game sale days would kill that faster than DRM? If you can't afford a few dollars then you might have bigger issues?

I think that the game publishers will find out like the music industry that their sales won't go up. To be exact they most likely will shrink to the point that the industry consolidates operations. Very few hardcore gamers will pirate their entire game library. They most likely do it because they don't have the money to buy everything or they are on the fence about a title and want a test drive. Thus they will spend their money wisely only on the cream of the crop games and completely skip everything that has less than a 90/100 rating. 99% of the product out there is below this standard.

Take me for example. Back in the day I could find any song that I wanted in seconds on various pirate websites. I would download terabytes of music for kicks. 99% of it I played for a total of 3 - 5 seconds and hit skip. It was fun to do and regularly I would find new music that I would run out and purchase the CD for to get the best quality and support the artist. I owned over 20,000 CDs and concert DVDs. Every wall was plastered with concert posters of various artists and memorabilia. If I had been sued I would have owed millions if not billions in damages going by the high profile cases that finally stopped me from pirating.

Since they made it so that you can be sued into oblivion, I have purchased 5 CDs in the past decade plus. I no longer look for new artists unless it shows up on NPR or other free services. I did get a Tidal account and I had a FREE Spotify account before that. Other than that you will never see me purchasing a CD unless it is by my favorite artist Prince. Everything else is too much of a risk to purchase because I might not like it. Hell I can listen to it for free on Spotify or in high quality on Tidal. So why spend money on music nowadays?

That's how I see the game industry evolving if they cut out sharing. Consumers will just move on to something else that will allow them to share the happiness of their purchase with their friends around the world.

Cost of games ... meh... it's all about how entitled people feel about "needing" to play a game on day 1 (or first week of release). GTA IV? Yeah no way I'm paying $60 for that, some time later $10 on a steam sale, another $10 for the DLC missions. GTA V? Yeah no way I'm paying $60 for that, Autumn Sale $36, yeah ok I'll pay that and not wait any longer. FarCry 4? Yeah I'm not paying $60 for that... see the trend?

I'm not complaining about the "high cost" of games, it's just I'm not willing to pay $60 for the exclusivity of playing it early, I will happily wait quite a few months or a year plus and play it for cheaper.

There are these things called "countries"...and there are a few of them in the world. In some of these countries people make a lot less than than people do in Western countries. So something like a even a 50% discounted $60 game would be like buying a fully loaded Surface Book in comparison. Think about that for a second and realize why piracy exists considering that well over 70% of the worlds population is in that boat.

Even in those 'poor' countries the same games sell for way less.
JC3 sells for ~$13-16 in Russia's online stores. Probably even cheaper in China.

Everything can be cracked, it just takes time.
Yes and no. The games that don't get cracked are ones that store a significant chunk of the game on central servers. Take Diablo 3, major release. Somebody emulated the beta servers, then that's it. No crack. The game's never been pirated, nor has the expansion. This would be a good thing, except when companies like EA shut down games that work this way, they brick the game and people who bought it get screwed.

it is doubtful someone in that state could buy a pc that can run JC3

I'm not complaining about the "high cost" of games, it's just I'm not willing to pay $60 for the exclusivity of playing it early, I will happily wait quite a few months or a year plus and play it for cheaper.

This.
That's why when the kids got tired of the Wii, I picked up an Xbox 360.
Not only was the console cheap (black Friday sale), there are plenty of cheap used games, and the Xbox Live Gold subscription also provides a lot of games & discounts. I even bought a couple more recent downloaded games at a good discount.

People still pirate games? Honestly I didn't think it was the DRM that turned people off but instead all the trojans and malware that gets tacked on... Of course I've been out of the loop on all that for a decade now. So maybe I'm just naive.

Pirate groups don't tack on trojans and malware to their releases. Noone would take anything seriously they do ever again. And rival groups would be all over them in a minute. It's done by dubious download sites. So you need to check your sources. Altough I haven't seen a pirated game either for a few years. But there were games infected with malware floating around 10 years ago already. But that's always done by some middle man, and not the crackers themselves.

well good. Developers do deserve to have money.

I fixed it for you.

Exactly. I come from a country like that too. Well it's actually not that bad anymore, but people here still make only a fraction of the wages in western countries. But in the mid 90s. A new game was like 2 weeks salary of an average full time job. Even games that were 2-3 years old cost the equivalent of 1 weeks salary. I purchased my first legitimate game in 1997, and I paid 6000 for it. At the time as a student worker I made 4000/week in the summer.

Exactly. I come from a country like that too. Well it's actually not that bad anymore, but people here still make only a fraction of the wages in western countries. But in the mid 90s. A new game was like 2 weeks salary of an average full time job. Even games that were 2-3 years old cost the equivalent of 1 weeks salary. I purchased my first legitimate game in 1997, and I paid 6000 for it. At the time as a student worker I made 4000/week in the summer.

How would you manage to buy a computer to play the game if you couldn't afford the game?

I hope this happens and games stop being cracked. That would make the PC a more legitimate platform, we might get better releases versus some of the crap ports we get now.

I think that the game publishers will find out like the music industry that their sales won't go up. To be exact they most likely will shrink to the point that the industry consolidates operations. Very few hardcore gamers will pirate their entire game library. They most likely do it because they don't have the money to buy everything or they are on the fence about a title and want a test drive. Thus they will spend their money wisely only on the cream of the crop games and completely skip everything that has less than a 90/100 rating. 99% of the product out there is below this standard.

Take me for example. Back in the day I could find any song that I wanted in seconds on various pirate websites. I would download terabytes of music for kicks. 99% of it I played for a total of 3 - 5 seconds and hit skip. It was fun to do and regularly I would find new music that I would run out and purchase the CD for to get the best quality and support the artist. I owned over 20,000 CDs and concert DVDs. Every wall was plastered with concert posters of various artists and memorabilia. If I had been sued I would have owed millions if not billions in damages going by the high profile cases that finally stopped me from pirating.

Since they made it so that you can be sued into oblivion, I have purchased 5 CDs in the past decade plus. I no longer look for new artists unless it shows up on NPR or other free services. I did get a Tidal account and I had a FREE Spotify account before that. Other than that you will never see me purchasing a CD unless it is by my favorite artist Prince. Everything else is too much of a risk to purchase because I might not like it. Hell I can listen to it for free on Spotify or in high quality on Tidal. So why spend money on music nowadays?

That's how I see the game industry evolving if they cut out sharing. Consumers will just move on to something else that will allow them to share the happiness of their purchase with their friends around the world.

I think exactly like you do. And I actually believe that, on average, piracy is good for the industry.

I hope this happens and games stop being cracked. That would make the PC a more legitimate platform, we might get better releases versus some of the crap ports we get now.

You have drunk the "1 pirated game = 1 lost sale" kool-aid, haven't you? ;)

I feel the same way, having gone through the same experience in various forms of media. I can walk away from gaming in a second if the final straw is ever broken. I've put up with various publisher bullshit over the years, but I'll cash out the second I feel like I'm no longer getting anything positive out of the deal. The people who control the media in the world need to realize that there is no necessity to it.

Why do people complain about DRM? I've yet to have any problems with it. Now, it has gotten old to have Origin, Steam, Battle.Net, uPlay, etc... to play these games. While I simply wish to have one platform to manage all of my games (I like not having hunt patches down like in the BF1942 days), they are simply another icon on my desktop. I've never had any issues with any of them, ever.

Out of 100 people that pirate a game, I'd bet 15 or less would actually buy the game for full price if it wasn't possible to pirate. Maybe another 15 a year or two later for half price. The rest probably wouldn't bother. So I don't think sales wold really be effected if this BS was true. Not to mention people who want the multi-player aspect always buy the game to have access to the full community.

So if they stop piracy, and the developers are no longer losing billions to the pirates, then the games should be a lot cheaper. Right?

Just like downloaded games are a lot cheaper, since the distribution costs are less, and you can't resell the game so there's no competition from used games. Right?

No.
If they manage to stop all piracy, they will just raise the prices, cut the quality, and sue anyone who puts up a bad review. Then they will wonder why the sales are down.

well good. Publishers do deserve to have money. Kids/adults who don't want to actually work to earn a few bucks for games don't deserve to play it.

Though on the other hand I do think a nice shareware demo system is in order. It also sucks spending $60 for a game that's shit.

As I recall, demos died because they require extra resources and it's not clear that they sell games.

Everything can be cracked, it just takes time.

Not sure if you RTA, but if this DRM was widely adopted (apparently it's expensive), it'd likely add months to the cracking process. What is posited is that this would be unacceptable to hard core gamers, so they'd buy the game. The article notes that the latest FIFA still hasn't been cracked and it's 3 months old.

How can they afford the H/W to play a new AAA title but lack the funds to buy new games?

Yea, because people in "these countries" aren't still buying iphones and shit. Yes, there are some extremely destitute places in the world and in those places they are not concerned with the price of video games, they are concerned with getting another finger-full of rice. The rest of the world you don't have to worry about, they are fine my friend, been there seen it myself.

Why do people complain about DRM? I've yet to have any problems with it. Now, it has gotten old to have Origin, Steam, Battle.Net, uPlay, etc... to play these games. While I simply wish to have one platform to manage all of my games (I like not having hunt patches down like in the BF1942 days), they are simply another icon on my desktop. I've never had any issues with any of them, ever.
I've personally had no issue with Denuvo as of yet, but the information out there makes me believe that the way in which it runs is questionable, from an ethics and resource usage standpoint. The only DRM I've ever had issues with was the version of Starforce that shipped with GTR or GT Legends, which outright killed the DVD±RW drive I had at the time.

So if they stop piracy, and the developers are no longer losing billions to the pirates, then the games should be a lot cheaper. Right?

Just like downloaded games are a lot cheaper, since the distribution costs are less, and you can't resell the game so there's no competition from used games. Right?

No.
If they manage to stop all piracy, they will just raise the prices, cut the quality, and sue anyone who puts up a bad review. Then they will wonder why the sales are down.

Ahh ahh ahhaa, there is a law against that now, no more sueing for bad reviews my friend, not if it's involving interstate trade.

Two reasons:

1. It kills games with an online component once the publisher decides to shut down the server. Games like Battleforge, City of Heroes, Need For Speed World, etc. are dead because of DRM. Meanwhile you can still play games with an online component without DRM from 20 years ago.

2. It can cause problems running the game, or flat out causes problems with the system. Even Windows 10 makes many old games invalid because their DRM was so invasive it was deemed a security risk:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/17/windows-10-rejects-old-game-drm/

Just because you've never seen a game you care about die or see your system go wonky doesn't mean DRM isn't an issue.

Two reasons:

1. It kills games with an online component once the publisher decides to shut down the server. Games like Battleforge, City of Heroes, Need For Speed World, etc. are dead because of DRM. Meanwhile you can still play games with an online component without DRM from 20 years ago.

2. It can cause problems running the game, or flat out causes problems with the system. Even Windows 10 makes many old games invalid because their DRM was so invasive it was deemed a security risk:

Just because you've never seen a game you care about die or see your system go wonky doesn't mean DRM isn't an issue.

I didn't say it wasn't an issue. I said I haven't seen an issue before. That was kind of opening the floor for some stories.
I should have been more clear.

Two reasons:

I think we need a law that states that developers must have a way to unlock DRM before they drop support. And because we know that in some cases the devs will go out of business, the patch probably should exist before the game is released.

I think we need a law that states that developers must have a way to unlock DRM before they drop support. And because we know that in some cases the devs will go out of business, the patch probably should exist before the game is released.

You're saying we need to have a law that counters the EULA that you agreed to upon installing the game, and that subsequently makes the developer relinquish control of their IP?

Back