No more FAH on my Laptop

HoosierDad

Limp Gawd
I know I was pushing it; however, for the last 1.5 years I have been Folding on a company laptop (Intel P4 2.2Ghz) most of the time. I think I have pushed it far enough as in the last couple of weeks I have had a couple of odd lockup problems just out of the blue while it was Folding and not doing anything else.

The output was good while it lasted. :(

Now, when am I going to visit my brother next? ;)

maybe the sink is dirty and causing heat to build up. clean her up and she should be singing shortly ;)

yeah 1.5 years it's time to clean that HSF out from your laptop that will help not just in folding on the laptop but also just the way the machine works in general.

thanks for the the WU that you did finish if you do stop :)

I just changed the heatsink/fan in one of my laptops. OMFG it was the biggest pain in the ass I have ever undergone. I am 6'5" and have really big hands, working in a small space like that.... sigh.It was not hard, just a pain in the ass, and wondering if everything is going to work right once you get it back together. I loaned it to my brother and went over to see my nephews and went to check my F@H stats, and noticed the fan was making the most horrible sound. I felt the bottom of the laptop and it was RED hot. Wasn't sure it was going to work right again. I am 6'5" and have really big hands, working in a small space like that.... sigh.

Anyway, I am just waiting for the fan to kick in. Hmmm...... Let it fold for a few more cycles, oh wait, holy cow, it just kicked on. Wow, what a relief!

dr_dirtnap said:
I am 6'5" and have really big hands, working in a small space like that.... sigh.

dont let the moose hear that ;)

T-3

dr_dirtnap said:
really big hands, working in a small space like that... just a pain in the ass

that sounds so wrong... i wonder why it is taking moose so long to get here?
:p

HoosierDad said:
I know I was pushing it; however, for the last 1.5 years I have been Folding on a company laptop (Intel P4 2.2Ghz) most of the time. I think I have pushed it far enough as in the last couple of weeks I have had a couple of odd lockup problems just out of the blue while it was Folding and not doing anything else.

The output was good while it lasted. :(

Now, when am I going to visit my brother next? ;)

At the risk of NOT hijacking this thread I too use a laptop quite hard. About once a week I blow the sucker out with a can-O-air.

Secondly Calavaro pointed me toward a nice little program called “Speed Fan” which works great, lets you set the fan to it’s highest speed and everything runs a tad cooler.

I also always run with the lid open for better airflow.

Just some thoughts, after all they do fold :D

dr_dirtnap said:
I just changed the heatsink/fan in one of my laptops. OMFG it was the biggest pain in the ass I have ever undergone. I am 6'5" and have really big hands, working in a small space like that.... sigh.It was not hard, just a pain in the ass, and wondering if everything is going to work right once you get it back together. I loaned it to my brother and went over to see my nephews and went to check my F@H stats, and noticed the fan was making the most horrible sound. I felt the bottom of the laptop and it was RED hot. Wasn't sure it was going to work right again. I am 6'5" and have really big hands, working in a small space like that.... sigh.

Anyway, I am just waiting for the fan to kick in. Hmmm...... Let it fold for a few more cycles, oh wait, holy cow, it just kicked on. Wow, what a relief!

He mentioned "big hands" twice...is that somthing like trolling? :rolleyes:

Just to bring this thing back on track...

HoosierDad,
If you think you're pushing your laptop hard enough that it's locking up, instead of shutting down altogether, just set the CPU usage down to 80 or 90 percent and see if that cools things down. You can get to that setting by running it with the -config flag and going into the advanced options and setting your CPU usage to the percentage you desire. I use that on laptops in our office so that it only runs at 30% and doesn't kick the fan on - otherwise I get complaints about the loud fans.

I still use a laptop as my primary machine for the moment. It is usually on my desk and to avoid heat/coolong problems, I use a notebook cooler from www.frozencpu.com. It help keep it cool, cuts down on the dirt that gets into the notebook by pulling air along the bottom continuously and as a result the bottom of the computer is cooler and the system fan runs less, even with FaH running 24/7. They have several different models to pick from, and I'm sure other places stock similar as well. It really does help keep it cool.

I use a Dell 8100 with a P3M 1G proc

u_DaBoSSs.gif

The notebook cooler idea is a good one, I have one on my laptop that I use for UD. The CPU temp is around 80C always (no matter if that notebook cooler is on or not), but the cooler makes the internals a lot cooler (10C lower for the hard drive). I also try to blow the heatsink out once every few months, it definitely makes a difference.

Back