No more clean installs for upgrading to Vista?

beanman101283

2[H]4U
I just read this blog post by one of the Windows Vista developers, and he claims that doing a clean install when upgrading will no longer be necessary because of how the setup works. I know most people here always do a clean install when upgrading, myself included. Has anybody tried doing an update install with Vista instead of a clean install? This could make life a lot easier for people moving to the OS if you don't have to worry about junk leftover from the previous one.

Well, if this blog is right and if it really works that way, then great. I have RC1 running and I clicked on the "upgrade" option during install. There was an "reformat" option there as well if I remember correctly. The point is: RC1 after "upgrade" install is running fine.

The only issue I had was with BSOD after installing 3 versions of virus scanners none of which worked.

As I understand it, some people are running into issues with upgrades, but for the most part it's a pretty reliable and useful install. imo, it's one of the biggest and most underrated improvements in Vista.

PopeKevinI said:
imo, it's one of the biggest and most underrated improvements in Vista.

Yeah, if it works it's going to be a big deal for alot of us, I would think. Sure will make life alot easier.

One thing I'd suggest before trying an upgrade, is to remove any antispware/anti virus programs you have . Vista isn't gonna place nice with any of the older software not for Vista. Running Upgrade advisor is probably a good idea too.

digital_exhaust said:
Yeah, if it works it's going to be a big deal for alot of us, I would think. Sure will make life alot easier.
Am I the only one that likes the feel of a fresh install? How snappy everything is for the first hour or so?

yea im in the process of a fresh install... if the upgrade works then great.. but i just prefer the fresh install to give me piece of mind and to make sure everything is fresh, dont want to discover something later done the road that will cause a re install especially with the new EULAs

JindaZ said:
yea im in the process of a fresh install... if the upgrade works then great.. but i just prefer the fresh install to give me piece of mind and to make sure everything is fresh, dont want to discover something later done the road that will cause a re install especially with the new EULAs

Amazingly enough, the entire EULA issue has been solved for a month.

Back