no MKV inside 7MC

McG2k1

Limp Gawd
MKVs play just fine in the regular windows media player. but when I jump into media center I get the dreaded "cannot find the specified file"

I've tried haali by itself and also the shark pack. I'm sure there's some check box someplace I don't know about.

McG

Are you using W7 beta or RC?
Beta will not play them but RC does just fine, what is the codec?
Now the sound...thats a whole different matter.

RC.

this is all blu-ray content btw.

using makemkv to wrap the existing h.264

not doing any transcoding.

plays fine in the regular media player, so obviously it has everything thing it needs. it just seems to not like it in MC.

Thx for the feedback. Looks like it's the 64 bit problem. And apparently Gabest MKV doesn't work in windows 7 64.

At least the RTM is officially out tomorrow. Perhaps something magical will happen.

I've also tried forcing it to register 32 bit splitters in the 64 bit space and it doesn't work.

Works fine here with 7 Ultimate x64.

All I did:

Install Windows

Install Gabest x64 Matroska Splitter

Install CoreAVC (not required)

Use the 7MC DirectShow Filter utility to select CoreAVC instead of the default filters for 7MC to use. (not required if you aren't using a different h264 filter)

CoreAVC won't work for directshow under x64. The MPC-HC MPCvideoDec filter will work though. But yeah, a x64 splitter is needed for viewing MKV wrapped video in 7 media center.

I was under the impression that MKV contained files would show up natively in my 7MC 32bit install, but only mp4 files are showing in the Movie Library.

Do I need to install that DivX thing based on MF? (http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2518DD508BB713E8!802.entry) Or is it just a registry tweak like in VMC?

Also w1re, is it worth registering the MPCHC filters (like I did in VMC) for DXVA or are W7's native codecs for h264 supporting DXVA well or at all?

No need for registry tweaks or installing divx.

I prefer CoreAVC w/ CUDA for hardware acceleration (under 32-bit W7 only) versus using DXVA through the MPCvideoDec filter. For 64-bit, you don't really have another option at the moment.

I had this same issue with mkv and ogm files.

I have been trying out different codec packs...CCCP and K-Lite. When trying out K-Lite, I had only installed the 32bit edition of K-Lite on my Win7 64bit RC. I assumed Windows media player was still exclusively a 32bit program, so why install the 64 bit codecs? Boy was I wrong.

Did a little research, found out you need 64bit version of FFDshow for it to work...OR 64 bit versions of other codecs as others suggested. I installed the 64bit edition of K-Lite alongside the 32bit edition, and now everything works. Its definitely a 64bit issue.

For the love of little baby jesus christ in a tuxedo, don't ever mention codec packs again, especially k-lite, and extra especially under W7 since it has 95% of functionality already built in.

For the love of little baby jesus christ in a tuxedo, don't ever mention codec packs again, especially k-lite, and extra especially under W7 since it has 95% of functionality already built in.
Damn, I struck a nerve with that one...Sorry, that wasn't my intent.:cool:
I probably should have EMPHASIZED my statement about needing the 64bit versions of the codecs, and that k-lite was more of a stopgap.
I know W7 has 95% of the functionality built in...but it wouldn't play mkv's or ogm's, hence my "uneducated" solution.

I am very well aware of the "evils" of codec packs...basically they fix what doesn't need fixing and fucking things up in the process. Just learned the hard way with CCCP. Vista MC would crash with DEP errors every time I finished playing a mkv file. If I closed a video halfway through (outside of media center) the audio would keep going unless I paused the video first before closing it.

I'm testing the waters out right now, still learning.:( K-Lite is a temporary solution.

Been reading your guide:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276654
It's excellent for Vista, especially the Vista x64 codec pack mentioned at the bottom of your first post.
Any chance on this pack working for Win7?
-or-
Should I just do what Criccio's post says?

I'm looking for simplest solution possible.

Last edited:
I'm making a Windows 7 guide pretty soon. That other guide is a little outdated. Hang tight. =)

I'm making a Windows 7 guide pretty soon. That other guide is a little outdated. Hang tight. =)

So can't wait for this, I'm tired of having to explain things multiple times to people. Get on with it! :D

x64 haali splitter
x64 ac3fitler
x64 mpcavc filter(better image quality than the built in one)

All free. MKV's play fine with hardware acceleration.

Any chance on this pack working for Win7?
-or-
Should I just do what Criccio's post says?

I'm looking for simplest solution possible.

CoreAVC w/cuda only gives you hardware acceleration under nvidia cards. You have an ATI card. And CoreAVC is not free. Which is why I would use the MPCVideoDec.ax here http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/files/
It's free and gives you hardware acceleration.

Last edited:
No need for registry tweaks or installing divx.

I prefer CoreAVC w/ CUDA for hardware acceleration (under 32-bit W7 only) versus using DXVA through the MPCvideoDec filter. For 64-bit, you don't really have another option at the moment.

Yeah I'm stuck with an ATI card in my HTPC at the moment, I switched over to the MPCHC filters (easy with that doom9 directshow filter chooser) and noticed an improvement over the Windows 7 packaged filters (in RC 7100, i heard the newer filters in RTM show some improvements).

I got 720 and 1080p H264 stuff streaming to the 360 without stutter, except for one film, which i think is 1080p-ish DivX, stutters like all hell. 720p DivX tv rips stream well.

I finally found a link to the x64 beta of Haali and can confirm that it works inside 7MC without anything else installed. At least for my things I didn't need anything else.

McG

Even THAT is useless!

Seriously people NEVER download another "pack" again! ALL you need is MPC-HC, THAT IS IT!.

Not everyone wants to use an external player. If they did that would be the choice, I agree with you there.
But I find most of us just want it all to play within media center with a simple front end and a remote from the couch.
I see you do something different in post #7, I posted what I do in post #17. There are different reason people have for the choices they make.
I think ultimately the goal is to get everything playing with as few codecs/filters as possible.(no frickin codec packs!)

Granted, alot of people do some pretty goofy stuff when it comes to an HTPC.

Not everyone wants to use an external player. If they did that would be the choice, I agree with you there.
But I find most of us just want it all to play within media center with a simple front end and a remote from the couch.
I see you do something different in post #7, I posted what I do in post #17. There are different reason people have for the choices they make.
I think ultimately the goal is to get everything playing with as few codecs/filters as possible.(no frickin codec packs!)

Granted, alot of people do some pretty goofy stuff when it comes to an HTPC.

What he posted was a guide telling people to install MPC-HC with a bunch of other useless codecs. I don't know if you clicked on it or not... That is why I went off.

What he posted was a guide telling people to install MPC-HC with a bunch of other useless codecs. I don't know if you clicked on it or not... That is why I went off.

Wow, I thought this forum had lost its' resident arrogant, know it all, blowhard when w1retap got banned. I stand corrected.

And since your reading comprehension skills are clearly superior to the rest of ours, would you mind sharing the specific "bunch of other useless codecs" that guys' installer adds? Using my admittedly feeble reading skills, it looks like the only codecs he installs are the MPC-HC A&V decoders, AC3Filter and Haali Splitter. Exactly which one is useless? He does offer an option to install a subtitle renderer for SageTV, but clearly states not to use it if you don't run SageTV. He offers to install the MPC-HC mpeg2 decoder and DeCSS filter for legacy XP computers that don't have the commercial DVD decoders built in. But once again, clearly labeled as optional. That's everything that his program installs. The rest of his tutorial is about tweaking the audio settings and using tools like GraphStudio and Mediainfo to monitor your setup. None of that seems excessive or out of line to me. Would you care to share with the rest of us the specifics of what you don't like about what this program does?

As I said in my OP, I don't use or even recommend Antipack. I don't know if it is good or bad, I never had the need to try it. I just thought it was an interesting read. I found the stuff on filter registration, the way the competing codecs try to game the merit system and his general bashing of ffdshow to be very useful in understanding the big picture of Windows and 3rd party filters. The reason I posted the link in this thread was because I thought(and still think) that the end result of this app is exactly the same as the advice a lot of people here constantly give, ie minimal codecs and a splitter are all you need. He even uses your preferred codec of MPC-HC and preferred splitter Haali. People were bitching about not having an updated guide to installing MPC-HC filters, I thought this link might help with that. I guess I was wrong.

I'll let w1retap know he's still being thought of. ;)

Why is there a program in the first place? Just another "pack" to suck in the suckers who downloaded the older "packs" that are now being shit all over.

Install MPC-HC and your done. Move on. End of story.

7MC? Install Haalis and your done. Move on. End of story.

More concise from another thread:

For playback of ANYTHING (minus real, but fuck that):

• 1.) Install MPC-HC from xvidvideo.ru, no where else.
  • 2.) Done.

For playback of ANYTHING (again, no real) in 7MC x86:

• Install Windows 7 x86.
  • Install Haalis or Gabest media splitter.
  • If you aren't using S/PDIF/HDMI for audio, install AC3Filter to decode DTS. DD is taken care of with the internal filters.
  • If you want hardware acceleration and don't have any of know what a level 5.1 encode is, install and register mpcvideodec.ax.
  • If you DO have quite a few level 5.1 encodes and have an Nvidia card, CoreAVC with CUDA is the best decoder out there. MUCH more compatible.
  • Install the 7MC DirectShow Changer from Doom9 and use it to select the filters you want 7MC to use.

I know I forgot something... I'll just edit if I remember.

Last edited:
The only reason I've not been able to "move on" so simply is because I can't seem to get 7MC or WMP 12 to decode DTS sound. Without AC3Filter installed DTS movies have no audio. With it installed, the audio only comes out in 2 channels.

I suspect if I used pass-through with a toslink from my auzentech prelude it would probably work. But I use analog connections to my reciever and I can't figure the problem out :(

The only reason I've not been able to "move on" so simply is because I can't seem to get 7MC or WMP 12 to decode DTS sound. Without AC3Filter installed DTS movies have no audio. With it installed, the audio only comes out in 2 channels.

I suspect if I used pass-through with a toslink from my auzentech prelude it would probably work. But I use analog connections to my reciever and I can't figure the problem out :(

ffdshows audio portion decodes DTS perfectly fine. 7MC will not decode DTS on its own.

This was covered in the guide before w1retap removed it.

ffdshow isn't working for me, either. I just re-installed ffdshow_rev3078_20090917_clsid_x64 to make sure, but I couldn't get dts sound from mkv's at all in WMP 12 or 7MC.

I can get it to pass through with VLC but not with MPC-HC. I can decode it with MPC-HC, though.
DVD's with DTS sound work fine from the disk in 7MC.

I only have the divx mkv splitter and now ffdshow installed.

Ugh, x64 filters...

Most likely the culprit.

You gain nothing by using them except issues.

I've never been a fan of codec packs, but I'm running my X64 Media Center with this pack problem free:

http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html

Install the pack from that page followed by the pack on the x64 Components addon.

O god.. thats it. I'm gonna make w1retap come back with his guide.

The last thing we need is more uninformed people pushing codec packs. :(

How many times to people need to say it?

WINDOWS 7 PLAYS ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING ONCE YOU INSTALL HAALIS!

I have a folder of about 100GB worth of assorted test files that I have collected over the years that I use for compatibility testing and a 32bit Windows 7 install using 7MC plays ALL OF THEM once I install Haalis which enables MKV splitting.

There's not much value being added to the discussion in talking about how your 32bit Windows 7 install handles everything when we're struggling with 64bit Windows 7. Your response to the x64 dilemma is that the codecs out there are more likely to cause problems than fix them. It wasn't until recently that Haali's MKV splitter was available for x64 and it's still experimental. It also doesn't fix this problem I'm having because I tried it already.

That is exactly it. People who have been doing this for awhile know that x64 HTPC's just aren't feasible yet. This thread is evidence of that...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Strend, thanks for the suggestion. I was leery of installing that pack although I'd come across it a few times while digging around. I only used the ac3filter portion of it and that resolved my problem. Now I've got to figure out why that works and just using ac3filter doesn't.

*EDIT: It wasn't the ac23filter that was the problem. The DivX mkv splitter was the issue.

Last edited:
Back