No LGA775 Core Duo?

All the Core Duos on Newegg ATM are Socket 478... I was under the impression that LGA775 is a newer socket type than 478. So why are they putting out their best chip with an old school socket that many boards don't support? Someone please shed some light on this as I would love a Core Duo.

miazmaticdotcom said:
All the Core Duos on Newegg ATM are Socket 478... I was under the impression that LGA775 is a newer socket type than 478. So why are they putting out their best chip with an old school socket that many boards don't support? Someone please shed some light on this as I would love a Core Duo.

Cuz it's a laptop CPU and the actual name of the socket is m479 and is incompatible with desktop Socket 478 boards. AOpen makes a motherboard now (~$300) that is made for m479 and it kicks ass... Look it up on XS forums... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95335

Later in the year Conroe will be available for the desktop market, and it's gonna be better then Yonah (current m479 Core Duo CPU) and most likely cheaper.

Mike

the LGA core duo is basically conroe.

'course, its core duo with a few improvements and some more cache, but the same basic architechture.

Cool - I've heard the Core Duo in the new Macs is really fast for games and stuff, would love to throw one in my desktop.

Back