• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

No Keyboard Support in Windows

Hobo13

n00b
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
33
Windows XP Pro 32-bit

So I installed another 2GB of RAM, bringing the total to 4GB. System posted fine, but once I get into windows the keyboard stops functioning (although the mouse works). I tried this with my regular Logitech wireless keyboard, as well as a legacy PS/2 keyboard with a wired USB mouse - still no dice. The keyboard and mouse work fine in everything else up until Windows loads. I should also mention that the special keys on the keyboard still work once Windows is loaded, the "F-Lock" key turns on an off the "F-Lock" light on the recharge/base station and the sleep button puts the system into hibernation.

I tried removing the additional 2GB of RAM, changing all the options under the USB menu in BIOS as well, updating to the latest BIOS, and reseting the BIOS to defaults. I searched and found similar topics, but there weren't any viable solutions aside from reinstalling Windows, which obviously I would rather not do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Try for a better title next time. I was wondering why there wasn't a flame-war going on in here...

Anyways, did you check Device Manager? What's showing up in there?
 
Have you got Logitech drivers/software installed? If so try uninstalling it all and rebooting. If your keyboard/mouse works fine afterwards, using generic Windows drivers, then you'll have identified the Logitech driver/software as the source of your problem.
 
Thank you for your replies - Out of habit I have password protected all accounts, so I cannot login into Windows to remove the drivers. I'm in the midst of creating a BartPE disk and seeing what I can change from there.

@zacdl - What title would you suggest? I can't think of a more specific description of the problem (aside from appending XP on to the end, which was silly of me to forget).
 
You mean you forgot the passwords?
That's not good :)

I would have gone with something like "Keyboard Not Working With Vista".

Your title at first suggested that you had a post going that was going to say Windows doesn't support keyboards anymore (as stupid as that sounds, it wouldn't surprise me).
 
zacdl - Ah, I didn't think of that - admittedly I guess I figure people would have better things to start flamewars over ;)

And no, I didn't forget the passwords - I can't type them in, the keyboard doesn't work on the login screen.
 
Good point.

I was even going to look up the keyboard shortcut for bringing up the on-screen keyboard.... but, you see my failed logic in that one :cool:
 
Can you boot into Safe mode successfully? If so, then do the driver/software uninstallation there ;)
 
I can't believe Logitech pissed my cheerios so bad. I used UBCD4WIN (not to be confused with the Ultimate Boot CD) and Password Renew to create a new dummy admin account with no pwd and uninstalled the Logitech drivers and lo and behold the PS/2 keyboard worked...I reinstalled the Logitech drivers (since I know i can unbork myself if need be). What a waste of a night. I don't see how installing more RAM would have corrupted the drivers...perhaps just a coincidence.
 
PS/2 keyboards/mice usually need a reboot/ wireless ehh you try new batteries lol or pressing the button under the keyboard and on the RF transmitter?
 
Back
Top