No Jail For Virginia Craigslist Killer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Virginia’s "Craigslist Killer” has plead guilty to manslaughter and will serve no jail time for killing a man he claimed threatened to kill him after answering an ad. The other Craigslist killer is still in jail…probably wishing he had this guy’s attorney.

Thirty-five-year-old Willie Donaldson was sentenced Wednesday in Arlington Circuit Court to a three-year suspended sentence and three years' probation.

craiglist sounds kinda dangerous

It's getting to be - since the net it casts is everyone who wants free classifieds around the world. However, compare that to all crimes performed by that group of people before they fell under the 'craigslist people' heading and I doubt you'll notice an increase. It's just they're all counted under one heading now.

you have to be kidding me! This is in my back yard as well.. shesh.

This just shows how unfair and unjust the court systems are in the good ole US of F#$$%$ A. A person with a traffic ticket can serve time, but this guy walks yes thats justice in the usa. Glad I will be moving to holland.

This just shows how unfair and unjust the court systems are in the good ole US of F#$$%$ A. A person with a traffic ticket can serve time, but this guy walks yes thats justice in the usa. Glad I will be moving to holland.

well, to be fair, from the article it sounds like it was a shooting in self defense which is probably why he's not doing jail time. If that's what happened or not, who really knows...

Show up at someones house and threaten them and you're asking to get shot. This guy doesn't deserve jail for defending himself.

We're glad you'll be moving too :rolleyes: the world is a screwed up place, not just the U.S.

We're glad you'll be moving too :rolleyes: the world is a screwed up place, not just the U.S.

I think the poster you quoted has a point...I admit, I take for granted the things that we can "get away with" here in the U.S. - but some of the laws are fucking rediculous. For example, this murderer is doing zero time. :rolleyes:

I think the poster you quoted has a point...I admit, I take for granted the things that we can "get away with" here in the U.S. - but some of the laws are fucking rediculous. For example, this murderer is doing zero time. :rolleyes:

Yes but you only see one side of the dice. Perhaps Holland is every bit as bad or even worse. This is the world we live in, as long as people make the rules and people interpret the rules (and I don't see any supernatural beings jumping out to help anytime soon).. there will be room for debate and disagreement.

Do you know all the facts of the case? The accused said
"He said Hicks attacked him and threatened to kill him."

And since we weren't there to see all the evidence, maybe there was something to it. But instead, you get on your soapbox and rail on the US...im glad youre leaving the country. Go to Europe where people judging the US on trivial (or even wrong) information is welcomed and encouraged. In Europe, everything is perfect. No crime goes unpunished, there is no corruption, no evil whatsoever. Enjoy yourself.

So he pleaded guilty to manslaughter and gets no jail time? wow.

Next time remember this as another kid who took a couple Brittany Spears songs from kazaa get handed a heavy sentence.

If this was self defense, you wouldn't need to accept a plea deal and plead guilty.

So he pleaded guilty to manslaughter and gets no jail time? wow.

Next time remember this as another kid who took a couple Brittany Spears songs from kazaa get handed a heavy sentence.

If this was self defense, you wouldn't need to accept a plea deal and plead guilty.

Oh boy, here comes the e-lawyers. Maybe he was offered the plea? You know? Plea guilty to this, no jail time. OR take your chances in court with a murder charge. Yeah, thats a tough decision for someone who doesn't want to risk their ass on principle (most human beings)

the US law is lame! Im sorry but if you kill anyoned especially manslaughter, the person should automatically have the electric chair to end their live.
So someoned stills, frauds or hacks get over 10,30,50 years? someoned who kills 3 years or less on most cases? you have got to be kidding me. Mmmm no...killing jail yes makes sense, stealing, other stuff should be punish alot less.

Oh boy, here comes the e-lawyers. Maybe he was offered the plea? You know? Plea guilty to this, no jail time. OR take your chances in court with a murder charge. Yeah, thats a tough decision for someone who doesn't want to risk their ass on principle (most human beings)

Keep a manslaughter charge on your record because you're a pussy? No thanks.

I'll fight for principle and clear my name.

If I commit a crime in the good ole USA, I do not know what my punishment will be period untill ive gone to court. Now is the judge having a good day hopefully he got layed the night before, or does the judge have a hangover cause he was out all night drinking and driving. Yes me moving will be a good thing im sure for me, but at the same time people come in here and say we are glad you are moving while missing points in it. the reason I say this is like I quoted, Places abroad gb and holland you know basically what youre punishment for a crime will be, yes theres good and bad in all places. But here you can have 4 people commit the same crime and have 4 different outcomes now thats not fair and impartial at all now is it. I am a firm believer the punishment can and should reflect the crime. Now if someone comes to my house threatens me I have two choices call the police and or pull my ole trusty 357 out which I carry all the time and bam cops come to my house and I get arrested for murder no matter what the circumstances are, innocent till proven guitly yeah right. My point in this is if the guy killed the other one in self defense and the judge says no jailtime then the guy should not have been convicted of a crime cause the punishement was not going to be fitting in the first place. Like I stated before you can get a traffic ticket and spend more time in jail thats not fair.

This... If I didn't do it - I'd fight it, or die trying to fight it.

In principle though - the evidence must have been pretty harshly against him for his lawyer to recommend taking the plea.

For those of you who are interested. Here is a link to more info.

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=325016&paper=60&cat=104

It even has a mugshot Donaldson all beatup by his "victim".

"DONALDSON’S case went before an Arlington General District Court judge on Friday, Jan. 23 for a preliminary hearing. At the hearing, Donaldson’s lawyers played a recording of the 911 call that Donaldson made shortly after the killing occurred.

Thomas Kelley, the presiding judge in the hearing, dismissed the case because, according to Rucker, the prosecutors had not met their burden of proof. The following Monday, Jan. 26, Commonwealth’s Attorneys requested and received a grand jury indictment against Donaldson."

This means the prosecutor was not going to win the case if it went to trial. Donaldson made the 911 call himself and he did not harmed the "victims" girlfriend. The article also mentioned the "victim" might have been on steroids. If you know anyone on steroids, well you know exactly how they can be.

I think that the prosecutor and Donaldson just wanted everything to go away so they made a deal.

A suspended sentence does not mean no jail time, it means it might be no jail time. Donaldson just has to be a good boy for his 3 yrs probation or he will serve 3 yrs.

A suspended sentence does not mean no jail time, it means it might be no jail time. Donaldson just has to be a good boy for his 3 yrs probation or he will serve 3 yrs.

Kinda disgusting, given the information you posted... I can't believe he got anything if the burden of proof - in a MURDER case - wasn't met.

Not for nothing, but Ill take the manslaughter charge with the guarantee of no jail time any day over a jury trial where I "may' clear my name....or I may go to prison....if that makes me a pussy so be it...

I would rather be a pussy on the street than a "clear my name " guy in prison.

While you rot in jail with countless other innocent inmates, possibly on death row?

Do you support Jamie Thomas' fight against the RIAA and the outrageous commercial and corporate fines being laid on her? If not, why? What does that say about your "principles"?

This... If I didn't do it - I'd fight it, or die trying to fight it.

In principle though - the evidence must have been pretty harshly against him for his lawyer to recommend taking the plea.

Which does show guilt on his part or he just has a sloppy lawyer who wants to make it out quick.

I'm going to go with sloppy lawyer.

Not for nothing, but Ill take the manslaughter charge with the guarantee of no jail time any day over a jury trial where I "may' clear my name....or I may go to prison....if that makes me a pussy so be it...

Well you might just as well be in prison because you won't ever earn a great respecting job with that type of charge. You'd be lucky if you can find a mate while you are at it.

This is why the system has failed everyone. You should not have to choose like this in order to stay out of jail.

While you rot in jail with countless other innocent inmates, possibly on death row?

Do you support Jamie Thomas' fight against the RIAA and the outrageous commercial and corporate fines being laid on her? If not, why? What does that say about your "principles"?

Yeah there are a lot of them out there. I don't see the connection though.

Jamie Thomas? Perhaps you want to throw in something else that's obscure that has nothing to do with the topic. If you want my opinion on the issue, feel free to use the little search bar on the top of the forums and track down that old thread.

This is why the system has failed everyone. You should not have to choose like this in order to stay out of jail.

On this we can agree.....

Ill give you a little backround info on me.....

When I was 19, I spent 8 months of a 1 Yr sentence in Trenton state prison....for a crime I did not commit....

I was charged and found guilty of aggravated assault.
I was offered simple assault and said no deal....I was convinced as was my lawyer, there was no way I could be convicted..
3 of us were charged, and I was the only one found guilty.....and also not the one who did it..

The other 2 were juveniles and since any sentence they would get would be nothing, the prosecutor decided to pin his whole case on me....

not only did I get screwed on the jail time, I got screwed into serving it in a state prison.

I learned a very valuable lesson about our criminal justice system that day..one I will never forget.

When I was 19, I spent 8 months of a 1 Yr sentence in Trenton state prison....for a crime I did not commit....

I was offered simple assault and said no deal....I was convinced as was my lawyer, there was no way I could be convicted..
3 of us were charged, and I was the only one found guilty.....and also not the one who did it..

The other 2 were juveniles and since any sentence they would get would be nothing, the prosecutor decided to pin his whole case on me....

not only did I get screwed on the jail time, I got screwed into serving it in a state prison.

I learned a very valuable lesson about our criminal justice system that day..one I will never forget.

For the record, you got fuxked.

I assume it was the other two who did the crime (your two friends?)

You know what? Absolutely right... and you know what sucks? There probably was no compensation for you having to spend time in jail was there? It sucks since people can charge you with bull crap, and you have to defend yourself with your money.

Yeah there are a lot of them out there. I don't see the connection though.

Jamie Thomas? Perhaps you want to throw in something else that's obscure that has nothing to do with the topic. If you want my opinion on the issue, feel free to use the little search bar on the top of the forums and track down that old thread.

I'm just making the connection that you are confused with your own beliefs, especially since you seem to be basing everything on an uneducated guesses, lack of experience, and very lacking empathy (note I said "empathy" and not "sympathy").

That sucks man... I hope karma pays you back for corruption screwing you over.

For the record, you got fuxked.

I assume it was the other two who did the crime (your two friends?)

At least he followed his principles, right? I mean, what is a year out of your life and as long as you gots dem principles! Oh, wait, your whole "Clear my name" plan isn't so perfect now is it?

IF it was self defense then he should serve a minute in jail. Protecting ones life should not be a crime.

Though it's strange that he plead out to manslaughter.

Not me. There's something to be said about justice. If I go to jail and am on death row, I still have apeals to go through. I personally won't admit to something I didn't do. If I have to stop something from causing me harm and they die, I did the right thing. Luckily I live in a state that doesn't pander to real criminals and give them the protection of the law while sticking their collective noses up at the victims.

I'd take the manslaughter vs a jury trial...not too much faith in the ciminal justice system or the whims of a jury/judge...I'm not the most wholesome looking individual :D

Back