No internet with D-link DI-524

darkhorse

Gawd
I recently got a D-Link DI-524 Rev E1 wireless router for use with my macbook pro, but I can't get my cable internet to work with it. Both ethernet and the airport can connect to the router's setup IP(192.168.0.1), but I've been using ethernet to set it up and I've gone through the setup process in both OSX(firefox) and WinXP Pro(tried both firefox and IE) using the dynamic IP option. I updated to firmware 5.1 from 5.0 and still no luck, it detects all my WAN properties (IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS) but when I try to access any webpage it won't connect. I've tried turning off both the router and the cable modem for a couple minutes then turning them back on(modem first and waited for a solid light until turning on the router like the manual suggests) but I still get the same results. The cable modem is a 5 year old terayon that shaw cable(canadian ISP) provided.

edit - solution: Try adding static dns server of 4.2.2.2 into network card /tcpip properties if you have the same problem, it fixed mine.

You said it does pick up all of the WAN-side settings: DNS, gateway, etc. That means it is communicating at least somewhat properly. Have you tried running PINGing anyone by IP address? My first guess would be that your D-Link is having trouble resolving DNS entries, in which case going by IP directly may rule out or identify problems.

Go into the router's Tools - Misc page and try to ping out from the router to a named address (www.google.com) or the dotted IP (72.14.203.104 or 72.14.203.99 should work). If either of them get responses, then it's working, you just have to resolve the issue of why the router isn't communicating properly with the computers.

I own a DI-524 revC1 router and I've had this issue in the past for whatever reason. I downgraded to an older firmware, then updated back to the latest and it resolved the issues I was having which were similar to yours: the router could ping out from itself but would not pass traffic from the LAN computers to or from the Internet connection.

You might (I'm just making a suggestion) look into getting a newer cable modem also. Just a suggestion... Things have changed considerably in the past 5 years and it wouldn't hurt to either swap it out with your cable provider for a newer model or purchase one new; they're fairly cheap nowadays and it would save you the cost of the montly rental fees if that's what you're paying (adds up in a year's time to much more than the cost of just buying one you then own).

Hope this helps...

ps
It goes without saying that you should be doing all this possible connection setup without using encryption just for the time being. That alone can cause headaches that seem impossible to resolve. Once you get it working without any encryption at all - meaning you can log into the router's admin account with just the wireless connection(s) and not using any hardline CAT5 or whatever you're using and then peek around as well as possibly ping through the router to the public Internet.

Once you have a working non-encrypted connection to the Internet, then enable whatever form of encryption you wish to use (WEP/WPA/WPA2/PSK/etc). Also, make sure you change the default passwords on the router, will ya... :)

I tried pinging the ip's you said to and it passed, but when I tried a named address like www.google.com it fails. I know little about routers or networking so I have no clue where to go from here.

darkhorse said:
I tried pinging the ip's you said to and it passed, but when I tried a named address like www.google.com it fails. I know little about routers or networking so I have no clue where to go from here.

I have the same router as you. Mine sometimes doesn't work. I just reboot the modem and router.

I posted this problem in another forum and got a solution, I'll post it here for people in the future who have the same issue. It's a dns problem and I fixed it immediately by adding the static dns server of 4.2.2.2 into network card /tcpip properties.

Back