No internet connection-i'm stumped

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
Here's the basics:

OS is XPSP2Pro VLE (college copy)

Friend calls, they have netzero, but can't connect. The modem dials out just fine, and begins the process, but will just sit there until the connection borks. I try another dial up service, and same thing. So I pack up the box, and take it back to my place. I plug it directly into the cable modem (via nic) and only get a "limited or no connectivity" message. I have power cycled the modem, and killed off any firewall activity.

I pulled the drive, and plugged it into one of my boxes, and scanned it with an up to date copy of NAV2005, and NOD32. Both come up nice and clean. I tried a few restore points, no such luck, and finally just did a repair install. I don't see any odd processes or applications running, and I knocked out All startup apps out of msconfig for good measure. There are no critical services disabled, and I've tried cycling the DHCP service to see what happens. Clicking repair, very quickly returns a "windows could not repair this connection" message.

The system is also spyware free, at least as far as ad-aware, spybot, and norton are able to detect.

Maybe I'm just too tired, but I can't think of anything else. Ideas? Really need some help on this, as he really needs the box back up by morning. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

None handy at the moment, but since it won't connect via dial up or nic, I'm leaning towards a software issue. Will definitley give it a shot once I can find one in this heap 'o parts I've got laying around. Thanks!

Covertoperator said:
Sounds like you got a winsock problem in the comp try using a repair tool like this.

God bless you man. I'm posting from the afflicted box. I never fail to be impressed by the coolness of people on this board. THANK YOU!

On a side note, dang I hate it when I waste hours, come on here and ask a question, and get a 30 second fix. :p Of course this beats getting "you're @#$@$@" anyday!

You are welcome I had this problem a while back after removing a program and it screwed up my winsock layer I went through all the things you did and I finally broke down and called my isp's tech support and asked what I thought was the mother of all stupid questions "why computer no workie?" but not the exact wording I used and I was told that my winsock layer was messed up d/l'ed the program on my sister's comp and ran it on my machine no prob.

Back