• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

No input on brothers screen......

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 8, 2001
Messages
15,783
This is my brothers system. It is a XP 2500+ barton with Gigabyte GA-7N400 motherboard.

I have just read through the manual under troubleshooting. We have had this system working for the last 6 months or so when we first purchased the GA-7N400 motherboard. Out of no where, we got NO INPUT from the monitor.

I have unplugged all add-on devices in the PCI slots, unplugged the IDE and floppy cable and left the RAM, cpu and cpu heatsink in place. The jumpers have not been changed. The CPU fan spins freely and the RAM led turns on when starting up. I put the ATI Radeon 9600se AGP video card back in the AGP slot and still no input. I tried it with PCI video card, with no input.

The interesting thing, is the ATX_12V cord has always been plugged into the system. However, after this problem started to exist, the computer would only TURN ON (still no input) if the ATX_12V was UNPLUGGED. If it was plugged in, it would not even turn on (no CPU spinning).

I have already tried swapping power supplies with a 400watt power supply, and that still did not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when I just plugged the ATX_12V in, and it didnt boot, I unplugged the ATX_12V to get it to try and boot, it made an extremely high pitched noise when I pushed the HARD OFF switch on the back of the power supply.
 
ohnnyj said:
What brand of PSU? Do you have another you can swap in to test it?

i've already swapped power supplies with the same problem. :(
 
Other things to try:

Strip down the system to its bare essentials and then proceed.
A PCI video card to rule out a defective AGP slot.
Use a single memory stick if you have multiple in the system and swap out each to see if it will boot.

What PSU are you using and which one did you use to swap, if you tried two that are not of very good quality than you will get the same results.
 
ohnnyj said:
Other things to try:

Strip down the system to its bare essentials and then proceed.
A PCI video card to rule out a defective AGP slot.
Use a single memory stick if you have multiple in the system and swap out each to see if it will boot.

What PSU are you using and which one did you use to swap, if you tried two that are not of very good quality than you will get the same results.

thanks for the reply.

I stripped it down, even the harddrives were not plugged in

I tried it with a PCI video card in there, without an AGP, and still no input

I took out the other stick of 512mb RAM (there was a gig total). I also tried it with the OTHER 512mb stick in, and also another brand/speed stick in.

The PSU in there right now isnt very good quality, however, the PSU I swapped in there to see if that was a problem is a brand new 400watt Eagle PSU.
 
So none of the other steps worked, huh. Well the only thing I can think of is that you happen to have a good PSU that went bad and then tried a not so good (have not heard of Eagle) PSU that won't work no matter what. You could take the one out of your own computer (since you know that it works and is powering a lot more than what your brother has) and see if that works (unless that was the Eagle PSU you were talking about).

You could also try reseting the CMOS on the motherboard, there is usually a jumper to do this but you can also just take out the battery and put it back in.
 
Back
Top