No Hope?

Jagger100

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a PC that when it boots it stops at the motherboard logo screen which says Tab for Boot Post Messages and Del for Setup. Neither Tab or Del do anything.

Can I presume its unsalvageable? Its been nothing but a problem so I'm not horribly attached to it.

Tried the bog standard minimal boot? (just memory, one stick if you can manage, video card, power?)

An old solution that often works when minimal solutions do not.

If you are patient.

Place CMOS clear jumper on the clear pins for an hour.
With clear jumper still in place, remove CMOS battery for several hours (overnight is great)
Replace battery, then remove CMOS jumper.
Reboot

Has worked many, many, times with many types of MB

Try the simplest thing make sure you are using a PS2 keyboard. I have seen a number of keyboard especially USB ones that just don't seem to work at all in BIOS no matter which USB port I use.

Sounds like Memory, or a HDD that's not giving its identify. Like above has said. Try and boot it with just the board and a single stick of ram. Might find your culprit after adding things back one by one.

Try the simplest thing make sure you are using a PS2 keyboard. I have seen a number of keyboard especially USB ones that just don't seem to work at all in BIOS no matter which USB port I use.
I had one.

An old solution that often works when minimal solutions do not.

If you are patient.

Place CMOS clear jumper on the clear pins for an hour.
With clear jumper still in place, remove CMOS battery for several hours (overnight is great)
Replace battery, then remove CMOS jumper.
Reboot

Has worked many, many, times with many types of MB
Tried the jumper thing, manual says only 30 seconds req't. I'll try overnight.

I had that happen today on a 775 board after I clicked "reset to safe values" or whatever in the bios. Plugged a PS2 keyboard in and then changed the setting for "use OS/bios for USB keyboard."

Though the OP's problem I would guess may be a failure to boot problem. I had that one today too on the same board. I think it would have (or did, I forget) hanged on the "press TAB" screen if I hadn't disabled that screen in the bios. Had to really mess with boot order settings to get it to fully boot up. I don't know why; it was just being a pain for some reason.

Is there any hope that the OP will mention what the problem was? No reply for two weeks.

Back