No hibernation ability for my laptop...?!

El Kabong

n00b
Hi... i got a laptop. Had vista on it. Chugged, didnt like it on there (inexpensive lappy) so i installed windows XP pro. Wierd thing is, i cant find the hibernation tab under power options or any other buttons related to hibernation... or even standing by for that matter.

When it was under vista it was able to hibernate and standby just fine, so it cant be something in the BIOS...

I beseech thee, 1337 ones, to save me from my n00bishness and help me cuz this just mucks everything up lol.

"It's the drivers... it's always the drivers..."

But in this case it could be one other thing: BIOS settings.

ACPI controls the sleep/standby/hibernate functionality in Windows XP, and if you have just one component or driver that is not fully - that means 100% - capable of supporting the ACPI standard then hibernation will not work, nor will sleep or standby.

Check Device Manager, make sure you have absolutely no yellow exclamation marks and certainly no red warning icons denoting hardware and driver issues.

Also, check every single driver for all the most common components (chipset, video, sound, peripherals, etc) to make sure you're as up to date on the drivers across the board as you possibly can be.

You can also check this website which is one of the best (if not the best) resources for shutdown issues - and hibernation is a related issue so if you do all the stuff this website teaches and helps with, it should resolve all the possible related issues with hibernation too. Funny how that works, ain't it? :)

http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Hope this helps...

Back