No Galaxy S2 coming to Verizon!

T4rd

Fully [H]
http://phandroid.com/2011/08/25/ver...the-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-are-you-disappointed/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/25/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-not-coming-to-verizon-after-all/

They can't be fucking serious. I'm seriously tired of my Droid rebooting when I get a phone call and this is the only phone I've been holding out on to replace it. I really don't want to wait another 2-3 months for the Nexus Prime and the Bionic (w/ pentile screen and locked bootloader) isn't too appealing to me :mad:.

This really makes me want to switch to Sprint now, the only thing keeping me from doing it is the ETF if I can't find a way to get around it.

Edit: Confirmed now with quote from a Verizon rep:
"We have a robust portfolio of devices that offer customers exciting options including the Droid Charge by Samsung which runs on Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network."

Oh yeah, I guess since the Charge has literally half of the hardware that the GS2 has, it's comparable :rolleyes:. Whatever phone they're talking about releasing with "comparable specs" is probably the Nexus Prime or something else that won't be here for another few months behind the rest of the carriers. So ghey..

Last edited:
LOL, Verizon, putting all their eggs in the iPhone basket, like ATT did :rolleyes: Unless maybe they are getting the Nexus-Prime, and no other carrier will get the Prime ?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/25/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-not-coming-to-verizon-after-all/
Update: We just heard from a Verizon spokesperson who confirmed the carrier will not be carrying the device, and offered the following quote: "We have a robust portfolio of devices that offer customers exciting options including the Droid Charge by Samsung which runs on Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network."

Well shit...I was holding out and ready to switch to Verizon for this phone. Guess I'll be going to Sprint or wait for the iPhone 5 if I want to switch. Wife will be disappointed though. She loves Verizon but damn I think their phone offerings suck.

I don't get what the issue is with the locked bootloader. Is this just an enthusiast thing that only people who want to install alternate ROMs would give two shits about? I keep hearing from post here and elsewhere that the locked bootloader is bad, but so far I haven't been able to figure out why.

I reserve judgement on the Pentile screen till I see it. Right now, I am looking at the Bionic to replace my OG Droid.

Yes. The stock ROM on most all phones pales in comparison to what the XDA Dev community can cook up.

Wow, that's gonna be a deal-breaker for a lot of people; possibly me, too. The BB 9930 is out because it's not 4G. Now, the GS2 is out. My choices are down to the iPhone 5 and Nexus if I want to stay with Verizon.

I don't get what the issue is with the locked bootloader. Is this just an enthusiast thing that only people who want to install alternate ROMs would give two shits about? I keep hearing from post here and elsewhere that the locked bootloader is bad, but so far I haven't been able to figure out why.

I reserve judgement on the Pentile screen till I see it. Right now, I am looking at the Bionic to replace my OG Droid.

See below.

Yes. The stock ROM on most all phones pales in comparison to what the XDA Dev community can cook up.

Indeed. I know Moto's "Not-blur" skin has gotten a lot better with the release of the Droid 3 and Bionic, but I doubt it's going to replace LauncherPro for me and I don't want it running in the background using resources if I'm not even using it. No manufacturers custom UI is going to be as fast/smooth as a vanilla/AOSP build. Plus, with an unlocked bootloader, you can flash LV kernels for considerably better battery life while OC'ing at the same time.

Wow, that's gonna be a deal-breaker for a lot of people; possibly me, too. The BB 9930 is out because it's not 4G. Now, the GS2 is out. My choices are down to the iPhone 5 and Nexus if I want to stay with Verizon.

Yeah, it's severely disappointing :(. Unless whatever phone they're talking about launching that's comparable in specs to the GS2 is out in Sept., then I don't give a shit and it's too late by then. They're already behind all the other carriers and the Vigor/Prime will probably overshadow it at that point.

Last edited:
I guess this confirms the Nexus-Three is coming to Verizon first, and the other carriers will get it next year, if at all ?

And that Verizon knows they have a blockbuster coming in October already in the iPhone5. But so does ATT and Sprint as well.

Yeah, I can't figure out why Verizon wouldn't want to have a Galaxy S2, it is already a popular brand name, more so than the Bionic or Charge are ?

Nexus Prime is coming to VZW I wouldn't be so quick to jump ship if Android is what you're after.

Nexus Prime is coming to VZW I wouldn't be so quick to jump ship if Android is what you're after.

Yeah, it probably won't be here until December. I won't believe its October release until I see it. It seems no other smart phone has hit its projected release date excluding Apple (which actually announce their phones rather than just relying on carriers to advertise it for them). But I don't care about the iPhone, so this is just annoying to me. I want a nice phone to replace my Droid right now and the Bionic isn't it unless its bootloader is unlocked shortly after launch.

Just sucks the main Nexus carrier T-Mobile, will get the shaft from Verizon. T-Mobile should first in line with selling the Nexus-Three/Prime, and then Sprint the second new Nexus carrier. Verizon should be third on the list to sell the Nexus-Three.

If Verizon gets the Nexus-Three first, and T-Mobile and Sprint don't, that would be like ATT not getting the iPhone5 at launch.

Go get the sprint version instead people, assuming you have decent 4g coverage. Stop bending over and taking what is gifted to you from verizon, act.

Side note, I saw someone in the wild for the first time that had a samsung galaxy s 2, the european version that was untouched... it was the most amazing looking phone I have ever seen. the slickest thing on the market, and I think the home button looks nicer than the 4 capacitive touch buttons that sprint is getting...

I am going to go out on a limb here, if god exists, and became a phone, the gs2 is what he'd be. Am I turning into a fanboy? Or just making perfect sense?

Go get the sprint version instead people, assuming you have decent 4g coverage. Stop bending over and taking what is gifted to you from verizon, act.

Side note, I saw someone in the wild for the first time that had a samsung galaxy s 2, the european version that was untouched... it was the most amazing looking phone I have ever seen. the slickest thing on the market, and I think the home button looks nicer than the 4 capacitive touch buttons that sprint is getting...

I am going to go out on a limb here, if god exists, and became a phone, the gs2 is what he'd be. Am I turning into a fanboy? Or just making perfect sense?

I actually doubt Sprint will cost much less than I'm paying now at Verizon, which is about $135/month for two smart phones w/ 1400 mins and unlimited everything (including data). I'm actualy not that into any of the phones they have right now either until the GS2 launches. I just hope whatever phone Verizon is talking about with "identicle specs" will launch around the same time as the GS2 does on the other carriers. I'm assuming not though since it doesn't seem they're going to announce it on the 29th.

Pretty much the same thing the two articles I posted in OP. I'm just annoyed that whatever phone their talking about probably won't be out around the same time as the GS2.

Verizon doesn't want anything competing with the way late, bootloader locked, shitty pentile screened Bionic.

I'm still holding out hope that the next Nexus phone hits Verizon this time. If may give the wife my TBolt and move myself to the Nexus at that point.

Verizon doesn't want anything competing with the way late, bootloader locked, shitty pentile screened Bionic.

I'm still holding out hope that the next Nexus phone hits Verizon this time. If may give the wife my TBolt and move myself to the Nexus at that point.

where do people get this crazy idea that verizon will somehow get the new nexus phone? Of all the controlling US carriers they are the most hostile to phones not filled with their crap apps and "VZN music store" etc. There is no way they would allow an untouched nexus device on their network. Hell, they never got any of the other ones! But keep dreaming people, I could be surprised..

where do people get this crazy idea that verizon will somehow get the new nexus phone? Of all the controlling US carriers they are the most hostile to phones not filled with their crap apps and "VZN music store" etc. There is no way they would allow an untouched nexus device on their network. Hell, they never got any of the other ones! But keep dreaming people, I could be surprised..

At this point it's all rumor. However, the rumors are much stronger this time unlike the last two Nexus devices where you knew from the get go VZN had no chance in hell.

Plus Nexus S has been a very good seller across all the other carriers. Do you really think Verizon would give up those types of sales for the sake of Vcast? I don't. However, only time will tell if a Nexus device ever does see the light of day on VZN's network.

We dont have 4g coverage in louisville with sprint (but we do with verizon) and it doesnt seem like Sprint is going to ever expand their 4g coverage..

At this point it's all rumor. However, the rumors are much stronger this time unlike the last two Nexus devices where you knew from the get go VZN had no chance in hell.

Plus Nexus S has been a very good seller across all the other carriers. Do you really think Verizon would give up those types of sales for the sake of Vcast? I don't. However, only time will tell if a Nexus device ever does see the light of day on VZN's network.

From what I've seen most companies always prioritize full control of their products over the loss of a few angry nerd customers. 95% of people don't buy phones based on specs/openness/facts. They walk into a store and ask for "a good phone with the wifis and the three/four-gees".

But hey, I could be wrong. Just guessing based on the past!

Also, Google posts right on their page that you will be able to buy it from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon (on the right side of the page).

Should be a good indicator.

Also, they have let an "untouched device" on the network a couple times now. The Moto Droid and Xperia Play. They're both vanilla Android.

Also, Google posts right on their page that you will be able to buy it from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon (on the right side of the page).

Should be a good indicator.

Also, they have let an "untouched device" on the network a couple times now. The Moto Droid and Xperia Play. They're both vanilla Android.

I'm 100% certain Google doesn't own that website.

I'm 100% certain Google doesn't own that website.

Hah, wow, you're right. Not sure how I didn't catch that before. Guess I'll screen links from other news articles a little more thuroughly now.

Being a Verizon customer I'm not exactly thrilled by this. I have the Fascinate (Galaxy S) and while I really like it I could use some additional horsepower in my next phone.

My partner has the Droid Charge and while it is a nice phone (the 4g, while a battery drainer, is blazing fast) it has the same performance as my Fascinate since it uses the same CPU and GPU.

I get to upgrade in early December so hopefully the Nexus Prime comes to Verizon because if the specs are true I want that as my next phone. Otherwise, I have no idea what I will get now.

Sprint isn't an option because their service is crap here. Plus I want a LTE phone.

Being a Verizon customer I'm not exactly thrilled by this. I have the Fascinate (Galaxy S) and while I really like it I could use some additional horsepower in my next phone.

My partner has the Droid Charge and while it is a nice phone (the 4g, while a battery drainer, is blazing fast) it has the same performance as my Fascinate since it uses the same CPU and GPU.

I get to upgrade in early December so hopefully the Nexus Prime comes to Verizon because if the specs are true I want that as my next phone. Otherwise, I have no idea what I will get now.

Sprint isn't an option because their service is crap here. Plus I want a LTE phone.

Sure sounds like the Nexus-Three is coming to Verizon first, most likely in November per all the rumors. And that new Nexus will be the best smartphone for sale, will be the top dog well into Summer 2012 when the QuadCore Galaxy S ]l[ is released.

oh no, a phone isn't coming to verizon !!!!!!!!1111

not a big deal.

I recently ditched verizon since I really don't use my phone as much and more impotently didn't like the monthly payments they were charging. Went to Virgin mobile and got a LG Optimus V. Great phone! Feels snappier then my og droid. $26/month is really a great price for unlimited data/messages and 300 anytime minutes. Virgin also has great friendly customer service. Even if it is outsourced, they are still faster to answer the phone then verizon ever was.

When in doubt, do a whois. Why would Google use powweb.com as a host? Because it's not Google.

I did a whois lookup and found:

Domain Name: GOOGLENEXUS-4.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS1.POWWEB.COM
Name Server: NS2.POWWEB.COM
Updated Date: 29-jun-2011
Creation Date: 29-jun-2011
Expiration Date: 29-jun-2012

Last edited:
I did a whois lookup and found:

Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS1.POWWEB.COM
Name Server: NS2.POWWEB.COM
Updated Date: 29-jun-2011
Creation Date: 29-jun-2011
Expiration Date: 29-jun-2012

The first warning is the name servers. A billion dollar corporation is going to use a colo's name servers? Look at google.com and the name servers point to that address.

If you do a second whois with the original registar (godaddy) it becomes obvious.

Registrant:
Custom Sigs inc

595 division st
east greenwich, Rhode Island 02818
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Created on: 29-Jun-11
Expires on: 29-Jun-12
Last Updated on: 29-Jun-11

Administrative Contact:
Desent, Elijah [email protected]
Custom Sigs inc
595 division st
United States
(602) 862-3814

Technical Contact:
Desent, Elijah [email protected]
Custom Sigs inc
595 division st
United States
(602) 862-3814

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.POWWEB.COM
NS2.POWWEB.COM

It is my belief the Nexus Prime, or whatever it will be named, is coming to Verizon. If you read/listened to all the articles & reports, it stated Verizon passed on the GS2 because it was launching an Android phone with similar specs.

It is my belief the Nexus Prime, or whatever it will be named, is coming to Verizon. If you read/listened to all the articles & reports, it stated Verizon passed on the GS2 because it was launching an Android phone with similar specs.

So they were probably talking about the droid bionic.

I don't think the prime is similar spec'd to the galaxy s2.

So they were probably talking about the droid bionic.

I don't think the prime is similar spec'd to the galaxy s2.

No, they weren't talking about the Bionic. They said: "Verizon has a Samsung phone in the works that will have "nearly identical specs" to that of the GSII."

The Bionic isn't a Samsung phone. The Nexus Prime will be made by Samsung, so why couldn't it be the phone that their talking about? It's supposed to have the same architecture as the GS2, just with a better/higher res display and maybe slightly higher clock speeds.

Seems to me that Verizon needs to do some PR damage control, and quickly, before all the people who were waiting for the GS2 go to another carrier :eek:

Frankly I just think people need to wait until the press release to get the details of everything before making a big fuss.

Frankly I just think people need to wait until the press release to get the details of everything before making a big fuss.

Well Verizon already said that they're not going to be at the press release to announce anything, so I doubt we're going to see anything new from them at it. Hopefully soon afterwards though they'll tweet something to the public on their own or something to get word out of what's coming up.

Not even sure when Samsungs announcement is going to be now that it's been delayed due to the hurricane.

Back