No Fruity Loops Alternative?

GreNME

2[H]4U
The other day I was feeling like trying to fiddle around with some sequencing and looped track editing on my computer. I haven't done anything with that kind of stuff for years (I have ACID v3 if that dates me). I remember hearing about Fruity Loops a while back and decided to look for it to check out its sequencing chops. Unfortunately, the program is now for-pay and renamed to avoid commercial issues. I tried some googling, but my flight of fancy went unsated and I wound up not doing anything (something else came up).

Now I'm wondering, though: are there no free offerings out there that do what Fruity Loops did? Sure, there are sound recorders and editors, but that isn't the same. I can't find anything within reason that performs some simple sequencing tasks that is loop-able. I'm not sure how much FLStudio (the new name) differs from the older versions, but I didn't look for the older versions for two reasons: 1. I'm on Vista now, and 2. I doubt there would be reliable sources at this point. I would really like to find something that did at least some of what Fruity Loops did for sequencing, and since I'm not planning on getting back into recording music I have no desire to drop a bunch of cash for the much more sophisticated and higher end software sequencers out there. I just want to play around.

Am I just outta luck?

Audacity is just a sound recorder. I already checked it. My old version of SoundForge (4.5) is the same thing. I'm looking for something that can do the sequencing that Fruity Loops did.

LMSS looks pretty sweet...makes me wish I had Linux to mess around with it. Oh well back to FL :p

Awesome links. Makes me kind of wish I had a *nix partition. Going to check out the Seq24, though.

Just curious, but what search criteria did you use? When I searched, I looked for "sequencer" and "loop editor" and "music editor" and don't recall seeing Seq24 (I did see some *nix ones, but disregarded since I'm on Vista). I used Google as well and the results were even less applicable. Maybe my search-fu needs some tweaking?

Seq24 is poorly documented and doesn't quite seem to be working right on Vista. :(

Back