No Flash in Metro IE?

osalcido

[H]ard|Gawd
So I been reading around and apparently metro's IE doesn't support plugins. I have to use the Desktop version to use flash. The reasoning being that plugins use to much battery on laptops. Thing is, I'm on a freaking desktop

Am I wrong about this? Or is there a way to install it? I was getting used to the Metro UI the past couple of days and now I gotta return to the plain version of IE to get to my favorite site, and I lose all the Metro goodies:mad:

IE10 has flash built into it, so you have flash although in windows RT they limit flash to approved whitelisted sites afaik.

Not being able to run Java is a great thing. Hopefully we see lack of Java support everywhere soon.
Can't run JVM or Flash probably the most secure browser out there :D

Yeah i just checked it only loads off whitelisted sites, which is no skin off my back outside of like youtube and video sites i don't really want flash to show up because it's usually just ads that are annoying and moving.

adobe has to be pissed off these days, first their long time friend apple stabs them in the back, now MS messes with them.

No flash, no java, if they remove Javascript too. That will be a perfect browser. :D

Problem with Java and Flash are the exploits and the fact that basic users fail to update them in a timely fashion. Think of it as a kid, who the parent has told a number of times to clean their room. Finally the parent just takes everything away from the kid and only give them select items that they feel are ok.

Metaphor Wednesday!

Yeah, the Metro IE browser is much more locked down and in order for Flash to work it has to be on a whitelist as Sean pointed out. The Metro IE browser was really tuned for touch and for power consumption. If you're on a desktop you can set the default browser to be the desktop version in Internet Options in desktop IE. I have that setup on my desktop like this but on my mobile devices I have Metro as the default as it does seem to eek out a little more battery life. It's not that big of a deal to use the "View on desktop" option in the Metro browser is you need other plug-ins to work.

Yeah, let's load up a browser with a bunch of malware vectors and battery sucking add-ins, perfect for a mobile device.

For all your fucking ranting and raving how Win 8 brings together all type of devices then fucking screws you on the desktop/laptop version from having those IMPORTANT plugins makes you the worst fucking hypocrite on earth.

I guess its to fucking bad for all the devices, government websites that use java.

For all your fucking ranting and raving how Win 8 brings together all type of devices then fucking screws you on the desktop/laptop version from having those IMPORTANT plugins makes you the worst fucking hypocrite on earth.

I guess its to fucking bad for all the devices, government websites that use java.

You're being a sensationalist. If you need to use Flash/Java on your laptop and/or desktop then use the full blown version of IE and not the metro version. Problem solved.

...or Chrome or Firefox.

What are you talking about? With Windows 8 the desktop version of IE allows for plug-ins. The Metro version is geared for power consumption and touch and plug-ins interfere with both of those things.

You can use the desktop version of IE with touch, a do that often when I use a site that doesn't work in the Metro browser. But the trend in web sites in plug-in free, and plug-ins are becoming the exception rather than the rule, except for Flash which while whitelisted in supported in the Metro browser.

Did we forget our Prozac this morning? Seriously, Java and Flash are the biggest pain in the ass for IT, as so many non-tech-savvy employees get viri all the time from these sources.

Did we forget our Prozac this morning? Seriously, Java and Flash are the biggest pain in the ass for IT, as so many non-tech-savvy employees get viri all the time from these sources.

It's just that he thinks Windows 8 is the Spawn of Satan. But now that I think about it from his perspective that would probably be a compliment to Windows 8.

Java and Flash might be big PITA's but many websites use them.

And it's why they are supported in the desktop if need though that's not a touch optimized situation the IE 10 desktop browser is touch aware though the chrome isn't.

Back