• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

No display on cold boot...help!

KingPariah777

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
1,903
I recently upgraded my brothers old GeForce 2 for a nice shiny 9700...installed the latest drivers and everything worked fine. (We uninstalled the Det's first).

However, upon a cold boot up the display does not appear. It posts, and makes the "Windows" chime...but I see nothing on the monitor. When I hit the restart button, the problem is fixed.

This occurs everytime, and didn't happen with the GeForce 2.

The monitor is an old IBM 21" with the ABC connectors in the back. Any ideas why this might be happening?

I don't know if this would be a video card problem, driver problem, bios setting, or what!?
 
Did you set the refresh rate too high? Try booting up in safe mode and reset the video to default setting and see if you get a display when you boot up.
 
Originally posted by OldMX
I bet its a PSU problem.

OldMX

The power supply IS a generic one, and i do have lots of fans in that box...why would you say that? I am interested...I am going to unplug a few fans and see what happens.
 
I diverted all power to the fans to come from a secondary PSU...the problem is still happening...

On a cold boot, I get no display. But if i reset the machine, the display comes on just fine.

Anything else come to mind? There is no way the PSU is stressed now.


Edit: After doing some research, it seems that some PSU's cause problems with cold boots in that they just dont have the juice to power up the video card by the time the system needs it to be displayed.
 
Back
Top