No display from GPU

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
Hacked up an old X9SCM motherboard so that a x16 GPU (GTX690) can fit in the x8 slot. Fired it up. Can't see the BIOS screen. However, once it gets past that, I can see Linux booting and all is right with the world.

'Cept I want Windows on this box. So I boot off a USB installer, and... Can't see anything. All right, no problem. Probably a driver issue. I've got IPMI. I'll just install it that way over the network. Get it all installed, boot into Windows 10, and install the driver. Reboot. Still no graphics.

All right, well, maybe I'm using the wrong port on the back of the card. (Nope)

All right, well, maybe the BIOS has the onboard set to default. (Nope)

All right, well, maybe the card's seated poorly. (Nope)

Maybe Win10 just plain doesn't like my card. Let's try Windows 7. (Nope)

At this point, I'm out of ideas. Why does my GPU work just fine in Linux but not display anything in Windows?

Last edited:
Does the video card work in another PC? Only other thing I can think of is the GTX 690 doesn't like the x8 slot due to it being a dual GPU.

try that^ or another monitor. the "new" gpu might be outputting something the monitor cant handle.

yeah it's definitely the boot order in the bios, surprised there are still bios out there that don't auto prioritize what ever is installed in the pcie slot but guess they still exist.

Most likely the integrated Matrox G200 via VGA output is taking boot priority. Plug in a VGA monitor, boot up to BIOS, change GPU priority ?
yeah it's definitely the boot order in the bios, surprised there are still bios out there that don't auto prioritize what ever is installed in the pcie slot but guess they still exist.
Via the OP (probably should have worded it better):
All right, well, maybe the BIOS has the onboard set to default. (Nope)

FWIW, the onboard VGA works just fine, regardless of if the value is set to prioritize offboard or onboard graphics. I even updated the BIOS to the latest and greatest just in case that was related.

I do not have another PC with which to test this card, unless I want to take a Dremel to my other X9SCM motherboard. I'm confident that no pins were bent in the mutilation of this slot. I also don't have another graphics card. I get no output on the following setups:

Monitor1 via DVI (using DVI-HDMI-DVI converters)
Monitor1 via VGA (using DVI-VGA converter)
Monitor2 via VGA (using DVI-VGA converter, monitor is an old CRT)
Monitor3 via miniDP

Each of the monitors was tested on all four ports on the back of the card. (Well, minus the miniDP, which was only tested on my one monitor with miniDP)

I bought a 1x->16x riser doodad (the kind the miners use) and tried the card in all four slots. No joy. It's still not detected by Windows at all. What's more, it's not detected by Windows when it's installed directly in the port either. I also set the jumper on the motherboard to disable the onboard VGA entirely. Didn't help. I think my GPU might just have died coincidently with my Windows install. This weekend I'm gonna see if a buddy of mine wouldn't mind tossing it in his box and seeing if it'll boot for him.

Device manager (as seen via RDP)
Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 3.31.57 AM.png

BIOS settings
Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 3.35.07 AM.png

Back