No display after board upgrade

Creepin_D

[H]ard|Gawd
I upgraded my board, cpu and SSD yesterday and when I first booted I got the "fTPM/PSP NV corrupted" message. I picked yes, which resulted in the screen going black and nothing after. After many resets I decided to try the onboard video, and my system booted just fine.
Before I tear my system apart (which is a pain) I want to make sure I got everything installed where it should be. I'm using the top PCI slot for the GPU and the top two M.2 slots for my SSD's. ( see attached for layout) Any suggestions on what I should try next?
My board is the ASUS B650E-F
CPU 7800X3d
GPU 3080 10Gb

Attachments

• Board 1.jpg
    Board 1.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Board.JPG
    Board.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 0
it's a security mechanism of the TPM file which is configured to specific hardware. if you can access to the OS with Onboard, if you have bitlocker enabled, you should disable it first, boot and reconfigure it later. if you dont, then you should go to BIOS and disable, security device support until you reconfigure everything, be aware that if you ave a bitlocker protected file it could get lost in the process.

My findings so far.
I disabled TPM in the BIOS using my onboard video, still no luck with my video card.
I tried removing both drives and still nothing from video card
I cannot seem to find where in the BIOS where I can set the 3080 as primary??
Lastly, the 3080 does not appear in device manager when using onboard video. Starting to think my card is dead, but would like to hear other options before tearing the system apart.

Oh, one last thing. I cannot boot from my 980 1TB SSD. It shows up in my BIOS, but not in my boot options. I was able to install Win 10 on it, but not able to boot from it. I need to have my 960 with my old OS installed, when then during boot up I get an option to pick which OS I want to use. That's what I have todo to boot to my 980. What gives with that?

My findings so far.
I disabled TPM in the BIOS using my onboard video, still no luck with my video card.
I tried removing both drives and still nothing from video card
I cannot seem to find where in the BIOS where I can set the 3080 as primary??
Lastly, the 3080 does not appear in device manager when using onboard video. Starting to think my card is dead, but would like to hear other options before tearing the system apart.

Oh, one last thing. I cannot boot from my 980 1TB SSD. It shows up in my BIOS, but not in my boot options. I was able to install Win 10 on it, but not able to boot from it. I need to have my 960 with my old OS installed, when then during boot up I get an option to pick which OS I want to use. That's what I have todo to boot to my 980. What gives with that?
GPU is vertically installed with a riser cable, correct?

physically remove the video card from the cable/motherboard and then re-install it. Take extra care it is seated correctly into the PCI-E slot. And also that the power connectors are fully seated.

Clear the CMOS

and if you haven't already: update the bios to the latest version. BIOS updates can improve compatibility with riser cables.

You can also try manually setting the PCI-E slot for the GPU, to PCI-E 3.0. You must do this, if your riser cable is not 4.0 compliant. And some 4.0 rated riser cables still don't ever work with 4.0. And you then need to either manually set to 3.0 or get a different riser.

If it still doesn't work, try the GPU directly installed into motherboard, without the riser cable.

Last edited:
GPU is vertically installed with a riser cable, correct?

physically remove the video card from the cable/motherboard and then re-install it. Take extra care it is seated correctly into the PCI-E slot. And also that the power connectors are fully seated.

Clear the CMOS

and if you haven't already: update the bios to the latest version. BIOS updates can improve compatibility with riser cables.

You can also try manually setting the PCI-E slot for the GPU, to PCI-E 3.0. You must do this, if your riser cable is not 4.0 compliant. And some 4.0 rated riser cables still don't ever work with 4.0. And you then need to either manually set to 3.0 or get a different riser.

If it still doesn't work, try the GPU directly installed into motherboard, without the riser cable.
good call. i dont run one but have seen plenty on here with that issue. op, try all this ^^ next.

if the new drive doesnt have anything on it, take it out and make sure your old one still boots right and then back up anything important, just in case. then put the new one back in, run setup and install to the new drive. windows should create a automatic dual boot. if that doesnt work you can manually add it with BCDEit

Thanks for every ones input, I'm making progress!

I switched to GEN 3 and made some progress. Then I had to move one M.2 drive from slot 2 to 3. So I'm able to use my video card again, but still not able to boot from my 980.

pendragon1 do you mind if I PM for further questions on the boot issue?

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    519.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for every ones input, I'm making progress!

I switched to GEN 3 and made some progress. Then I had to move one M.2 drive from slot 2 to 3. So I'm able to use my video card again, but still not able to boot from my 980.

pendragon1 do you mind if I PM for further questions on the boot issue?
its fine here but sure. start by backing up anything on you need from your old drive.

Back