No Data Transfer: What gives?

Why would a connection state report "connected" but not transfer any data? I have been having issues with an IBM Thinkpad that will not stay connected but yet is. I have switched cables, turned off the power shutdown when idle option, checked all TCP/IP settings and they look fine. DHCP server is giving the laptop good parameters and the device manager does not report any issues with the onboard NIC. Any ideas?

P.S. There are over 20 other users in this office and none are having the same issue. No routers/switches between the data link and the patch panel.

Are you getting a valid IP? Can you Ping? What do you mean by no data transfers? No web access or anything? Or can you get to the web but not transfer files? Is this laptop a member of a domain?

Start there and we'll see where we can go. ;)

Are you getting a valid IP? Can you Ping? What do you mean by no data transfers? No web access or anything? Or can you get to the web but not transfer files? Is this laptop a member of a domain?

Start there and we'll see where we can go. ;)

I totally forgot to ping. How sad. I will check on this manana and get back with the results. Thanks.

Disable the NIC card. Uninstall the drivers. Reboot. Dont refresh the page before you reboot. Let Windows install it on boot up. See if that does the trick. If not, IBM will ask you do the same thing and update the drivers. Then if still no go, they will probally replace the motherboard. Assuming its still under warrenty.

Back