No Danger Den love?

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been considering trying out watercooling for ages now and when I first started reading/researching (at least a year ago) Danger Den seemed like a popular name. However reading through this particular forum it doesn't seem like they get much attention.

The reason I ask is because of the whole Swiftech Apex group buy, lack of stock fiasco. I had/have been considering the Swiftech kit because it's complete and includes the lovely rad box. I have a Coolermaster Centurion case and aside from cutting open the top of the case (which I do no want to do) there is no place for an internal 120X2 radiator.

I priced out a Danger Den setup with the comparable pump and dual rad with the TDX block and the price is around $210. Ok cool, it's cheaper. Yes but then I am without the rad box so add that in and I'm pretty close to the cost of the newer Swiftech kit featuring the Apogee (aka Apologee).

And since the point of all this was to pose a question to you guys:

Where's the love for Danger Den?

Right here.

DSCF2231.JPG

I <3 my DD setup :) (1048 -> BIP2 -> TDX -> Maze4 Acetal -> 1048)
Temps aren't the best, probably due to me using a 1048 as opposed to a D4/D5, but hey, it's quiet :D

penguin said:
Right here.

http://www.cheyennesys.com/mods/SilverFox/DSCF2231.JPG[/img]

I <3 my DD setup :) (1048 -> BIP2 -> TDX -> Maze4 Acetal -> 1048)
Temps aren't the best, probably due to me using a 1048 as opposed to a D4/D5, but hey, it's quiet :D
quite a coincidence that you posted, I was just in the Coolermaster thread and saw your setup

Rott3n said:
I went DD for everthing except for my cpu, I got a storm for that.
That's what I'm saying. The Storm is getting all the love but I think it looks bulky. I'm all for function over form but I like the looks of the TDX block.

Danger den is fine. I have been a fan of their designs for a long time now. They still use big hunks of material in a closer to homemade style.

The only real reason DD is not in the limelight is because I believe they no longer have the "best" performing products. But to be honest.. I don't give a crap if an other product can beat their best by a degree or so. Good companies are the ones who get my money.

If you're working on your first build and you're just looking to throw your hat into the WC scene and get "your feet wet" I usually recommend DD.

They have a great many ways you can build the set-up, they're fairly inexpensive, you can usually order everything from one place, they use pretty standard fittings, etc.

My first WC build used all DD gear except for the res. I was very happy with it.

I've since moved onto small bore rigs but all-in-all... DD produces a fine, easy to use, set-up that gets acceptable results.

BellaCroix said:
If you're working on your first build and you're just looking to throw your hat into the WC scene and get "your feet wet" I usually recommend DD.

They have a great many ways you can build the set-up, they're fairly inexpensive, you can usually order everything from one place, they use pretty standard fittings, etc.

My first WC build used all DD gear except for the res. I was very happy with it.

I've since moved onto small bore rigs but all-in-all... DD produces a fine, easy to use, set-up that gets acceptable results.
I think this is what I was looking for. I like to support companies who have thier shit together and take care of the customer. I haven't heard bad things about DD while Switech is good, they seem to be having minor issues lately.

Hopefully in the coming months I will be getting my feet wet and I'll likely use DD for those needs. Thanks for the input all.

I've used Danger Den, Dtek, swiftech in many rigs I built. Danger Den is a good company that makes good products. Most people are going crazy over the Storm block but a TDX block is still a very good block. If you don't like the storm then the TDX is a good choice....especially over an apogee from swiftech.

When you get the TDX block remove the nozzle on the inside of the block =). Trust me on this, I got better temperatures with it gone then I do with it in.

I have extreme love for Danger Den... Just not sexually... Ahem... I've got a BIX (single 120mm rad), the older model of the Danger Den Maze 4 GPU, and of course, a TDX.

I love the TDX, its a nice looking block, and the performance on it is pretty damn good if you ask me.

The Maze 4 GPU however... Has given me a little bit of grief, but I fixed that in an odd manner. If you get one of the older styled Maze 4 GPU's, you're going to get corrosion. I got bored and decided to lap the underside of the top of the block (the bottom of the black thing that has the barbs in it, I dunno) and it went to a shiney mirror finish. I haven't had any corrosion since then, but i'm still testing on it.

But yeah, long story short, I think Danger Den is an incredibly good brand to go with if your not to sure about an Apologee Kit. Also, DD's customer service = godlike. They ship fast, even if they are giving you something free.

TehRoflcopter said:
When you get the TDX block remove the nozzle on the inside of the block =). Trust me on this, I got better temperatures with it gone then I do with it in.

Why would you remove the nozzle? I've seen nozzle kits at FrozenCPU for the TDX. I've got a stock TDX cooling an X2 3800 and Im getting crappy results. I think it's a faulty mobo temp sensor.

... The nozzle peice thats on the inside of the waterblock under the plexiglass... Thats the peice i'm talking about...

Right, I understand that part, just wondering what type of temp improvements justify doing that.

TehRoflcopter said:

I have extreme love for Danger Den... Just not sexually... Ahem... I've got a BIX (single 120mm rad), the older model of the Danger Den Maze 4 GPU, and of course, a TDX.

I love the TDX, its a nice looking block, and the performance on it is pretty damn good if you ask me.

The Maze 4 GPU however... Has given me a little bit of grief, but I fixed that in an odd manner. If you get one of the older styled Maze 4 GPU's, you're going to get corrosion. I got bored and decided to lap the underside of the top of the block (the bottom of the black thing that has the barbs in it, I dunno) and it went to a shiney mirror finish. I haven't had any corrosion since then, but i'm still testing on it.

But yeah, long story short, I think Danger Den is an incredibly good brand to go with if your not to sure about an Apologee Kit. Also, DD's customer service = godlike. They ship fast, even if they are giving you something free.
I actually saved the picture of your setup because I loved the way it looked. I have a similar sized case (read small) and would love to put the rad in the same place you have it.

Back