No cd will work with WinVista

Dameem

n00b
This is what I get when inserting those CDs

Install ASUS P5W DH DELUXE: Motherboard support CD does not support this operating system(WNT_6.0H_MCE)

Install eVGA 8800GTS: Setup detected that the operating system in use is not windows XP x64 Edition. This setup program and its associated drivers are designed to run only on Windows XP x64 Edition. The Installation will be terminated.

Install X-FI eXtreme Music: The windows operating system running on this computer is not supported by this product.

Moreover, Partition Magic Labels the partition type as BAD instead of NTFS and for some reason, the format part for WinVista is there but it's greyed out. The only thing I can do is delete the additional partition but cannot format.

Updated Bios to 1901

PS: While posting this message, the Asus site shows a BIOS update which wasn't available yesterday, the 2004. Although It's in Beta version, do you think that will solve my problem? Although that wouldn't explain the partition, I think

Note: All computer parts are new, including the hard drive. my system is definately 100% Vista compaitable. Except for the DVD Drive which is an old samsung.

Additional specifications: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 1066 (PC2 8500) | e6700 | 520W PSU | WD Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150

By yesterday, I hated a thing called Vista, It took me almost 6 hours to install and solve other problems. Any help is very appreciated. Cheers.

Backup all the data on the drive that you want saved, or move it to some location where it's safe.

After that's done, put the Vista DVD in the drive and install the OS clean on the drive, get rid of any partitions that currently exist and then go from there.

I personally have seen reports from like, 1500 people over the forums I frequent that own an Asus P5W mobo and some 8800 video card from some manufacturer or another and they don't have issues with Vista like the ones you mentioned.

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, so anytime you feel like clarifying your position more precisely it would really help when it comes to troubleshooting.

You didn't say anything about a Vista clean install, a Vista upgrade, you didn't mention what was or still is on the hard drive, etc. It takes a lot of info for myself or someone else to come up with solutions if we don't know what the hell we've got to work with to find the solution in the first place.

These forums are loaded with people that have issues with Nividia cards and Vista (not Vista's fault), the X-Fi and Vista (not Vista's fault), and I'd avoid Partition Magic like the plague personally. Get Acronis Disk Director or the free GParted LiveCD to do partitioning duties if necessary. If worse comes to worst, you do a step-by-step install with bare components to start with to get the OS installed and functional and then you add new components one at a time as you're able.

:)

Sooooo...

...soooo Thanks for taking the time to blow some of your steam at me :)

Anyways:
1. I did mention everything is new, and I did mention that I tried to format my HD
2. It's obvious that It's a clean install not an upgrade. Look at No.1

U said:
"Nividia cards and Vista (not Vista's fault), the X-Fi and Vista (not Vista's fault),"

I dont know about the nvidia card, but the X-FI was working with my old WinXP

sooo....although I really appreciate your help, I think that you personally can't help me with my problem. No offense though :)

1. I did mention everything is new, and I did mention that I tried to format my HD
2. It's obvious that It's a clean install not an upgrade. Look at No.1

1) Nothing about your hardware being new says "I installed XP first" so, I chose not to make an assumption and then asked you to specifically state if it was a clean install which was never directly said.
2) It's obvious that since you didn't specifically say it was an upgrade I wasn't left with much choice but asking but that also. Look at No. 1

Dameem said:
U said:
"Nividia cards and Vista (not Vista's fault), the X-Fi and Vista (not Vista's fault),"

I dont know about the nvidia card, but the X-FI was working with my old WinXP

We're not talking about XP, and I said:

bbz_Ghost said:
the X-Fi and Vista

Anyone and his little baby brother can get the X-Fi working in XP, that's a piece of cake. But again, we're not talking about XP, and because hardware was supported in XP for years for the most part before Vista ever came out, using a statement like:

Dameem said:
but the X-FI was working with my old WinXP

is just going to cause people to think twice about offering help when it seems you're stuck in "But it worked in XP" mode. Vista isn't XP - that's your first lesson. Second lession is:

People are having issues with the X-Fi and Vista, and it's not Vista's fault. Creative, the manufacturer of the X-Fi, simply hasn't released drivers worth a damn and they definitely have not released software that uses the X-Fi under Vista to it's fullest capabilities. You can try this page for more information about someone that did create almost fully working software even though Creative can't seem to do it:

Fully working software for Vista!!

A link to the software is provided in the first posting in that thread, it's almost 600MB to download, basically a full CD of stuff, and it works.

As for the Nvidia issues, well, you're on your own with that. I'll let someone else help since it's obvious I can't help you with your problem, right?

Dameem said:
sooo....although I really appreciate your help, I think that you personally can't help me with my problem. No offense though :)

No problem, I'm just looking out for just another Joe Average, consumer that owns a computer. Thanks, Joe! :D

Plz bbz_Ghost, I can't keep up with all those quotes to me, so here's a simple answer.

Next time, go with your intuition, b'cuz the simple fact says when I state "All computer parts are new" and "The only thing I can do is delete the additional partition but cannot format." It's quite obvious what I mean.

2nd, Forget about the X-FI, why are you concentrating about It. It is obvious my problem is that there is no CD willing to install under WInVista, It has nothing to do with X-FI per se.

Any person trying to help can see that and reply based to the problem that no CD is willing to install, instead, you concentrated on the wrong stuff.

U said:
"No problem, I'm just looking out for just another Joe Average, consumer that owns a computer. Thanks, Joe!"

No problem, seems that I 2 have to listen and answer to an average Mike who can't look at the big picture of the problem and wastes his and my time of replying to stuff which doesn't solves anything. Thanks Mike :)

Uh huh.

You're trying to install software and drivers for an XP installation on Vista, hence your predicament. Simple.

You need help and you got attitude?I dont think anyone here is your Tech support but a small willing to help,with that kinda attitude i doubt if you'll get help
Good Luck sir!!

I think now whe're going somewhere. Now I like your answer, straight and simple.

Are you saying that I might have those error messgaes b'cuz It's WinVista that I'm trying to install those software on??

I might be wrong, I doubt It though, but doesn't every software available atleast loads in WinXP and backwards? why wouldn't It even load in WinVista. Whats the diff. between software loading in WinXP and Win98 vs. Software not loading on WinXP and WinVista?

Excuse me nukleuz, I only get an attitude when people give it to me, and this is not one of them. Plus, I doubt that anyone can see me having an attitude and not bbz_Ghost since It's obvious that he's the one whos having a nervous breakdown of all the people he helps.

And for all that's mighty's sake, whe are people answering to unrelevant stuff??

Uh huh.

You're trying to install software and drivers for an XP installation on Vista, hence your predicament. Simple.

Absolutely spot on! those component installation disks are useless for Vista. You need to visit the manufacturer websites and download Vista drivers for your components.

But install Vista first, because it'll likely already have drivers for much of your hardware, and see you operational and internet connected so you can attend to the rest.

You need to realize that Vista is NOT XP period. It is not, nor intended to be 100% backward compatible. Read these forumns long enough or just checking the MS HCL tells the story. It is NOT a rebuilt XP kernal but a brand new one ,so expect differences. A lot of vendors NOT MS have been slow in releasing driver updates.

I have a Radeon TV Wonder VE PCI card that will not work period in Vista, but with XP it was perfectly supported. Being backward compatable is not guaranteed.

You need to do the research first before you jump up with answering your own questions. What bbz_Ghost was trying to do was get clarification, and that is needed if you want the help.

OK I got that, geez, relax everybody. I know drivers in one operating system is not compaitable with the other, I know that. But If you you even payed attention just to the title of the thread, you could infer that my problem was not installing drivers, rather just for the CD to load, regardless whether it began installation or not.

In addition, look at the description of the error message I gave you, non mentions anything about compaitibility, rather weird message like "system in use is not windows XP x64 Edition." or "CD does not support this operating system(WNT_6.0H_MCE)"

Why am I getting messages about 64bit version of windows and another talking about WinNT. Those messages which popped out only made me wonder If in the future i bought a game or even If an old game, will i have problems installing them to?

Anyways, thanks for everybody's help, after all that description, I think Catweazle summarized it all in a good way, :cool:

That board is PICKY with DVD burners in Vista. If you have another one try it. I can confirm my NEC works, but my Ben-Q crapped itself. Its not Vista, its the board.

BTW, Creative released drivers on the 15th, I posted a link in the Audio section like a week ago.

Linkage

This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ 64-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic,
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Current release features:

* X-Fi Crystalizer™
* X-Fi CMSS®-3D
* MIDI Playback
* EAX® Effects
* PCM stereo output through optical out
* Line-in connectivity
* Recording capabilities.

Known issues:

* This driver does not support the following:
o Decoding of Dolby® Digital and DTS™ signals
o DVD-Audio
o DirectSound®-based EAX games
o 6.1 speaker mode.
* SPDIF passthrough is supported on Vista 32-bit only.
* Applications from the original Sound Blaster X-Fi CD will not work with this download.

Requirements:

* Windows Vista 64-bit or Windows Vista 32-bit
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi audio devices listed above.

Notes:

* Do not install this driver for Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio.
* To install the driver, do the following:
1. Download the SBXF_PCDVT_LB_2_13_0012.exe file into your local hard disk.
2. Double-click the downloaded file.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen.
* To uninstall the driver, do the following:
1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Device Manager icon.
3. Double-click the Sound, video and game controllers option.
4. Right-click the Creative SB X-Fi option, and select Uninstall.
The Confirm Device Uninstall dialog box appears.
5. Select the Delete the driver software for this device option.
Note: This check box must be selected to avoid reinstallation issues.
6. Click the OK button.
7. Restart your computer.
* To reinstall the driver, do the following:
1. Double-click the downloaded file.
2. When the message You must restart your computer to apply these changes appears, click the Restart Later button.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Nasty_Savage, you are the master.

Due to me loosing one of my new Lite-On DVD-Writer, I had to use my brother's very old DVD-ROM. For my surprise, It didn't recognize Vista. I tried another DVD-ROM, and it worked. Before posting, I had a feeling that I should get a new DVD-Writer and that it would solve my problem. You proved that my first intuition was right.

Moreover, I did hear that my MoBo also has some issues and that P5B-DH Deluxe was better for vista.

Troz, thanks, I did download the audio drivers long time ago, my sound works now.

I also downloaded eVGA driver, I can now enjoy 1680x1050 widescreen view.

For the other problems, not all, but most were solved when I right clicked their icon-->properties-->compatibility and chose WinXP in the compatibility mode.

just checked the performance information and tools, all is 5.9 except the processor and RAM which are 5.5 Now I guess i'm begining to ejoy Vista. :)

Back