No Canon printer drivers for x64!

exilera

Weaksauce
Canon hasn't released any printer drivers for Windows XP x64, and according to something I read recently, they "have no plans to in the immediate future". I'm trying to install my PIXMA IP5000. Does anyone have this printer and know if there are any 3rd party drivers that work?

This is why all the XP64 people posted the same advice in all your various XP 64 related threads. Check for drivers for your hardware BEFORE you upgrade.

On a side note, you can check www.driverguide.com but it's unlikely anyone but Canon would have them.

I'm not suprprised. It was the same way when XP came out.
djines hit the nail on the head.

djnes said:
This is why all the XP64 people posted the same advice in all your various XP 64 related threads. Check for drivers for your hardware BEFORE you upgrade.

On a side note, you can check www.driverguide.com but it's unlikely anyone but Canon would have them.

I checked before hand and found drivers for everything, except for the printer. I completely forgot about that. I moved all the drivers I found for x64 to a flash drive and just moved them over after the OS was installed. Don't know why I forgot about the printer. Oh well, I'll check your link. Thanks for the reply.

This is why you buy Postscript capable printers - they'll work anywhere.

Thats what you get for buying a canon printer. People have had problems with them in the past for the same reasons. They had issues with windows 2000, xp and now xp64. I remember having a i5000 or something back when 2000 came out. The printer was like 3 or 4 months old. It took them 6 months to come out with a driver and the driver worked a month for me and then the printer would not work with it at all on any 2000 machine. I refused to buy another canon after that. With any luck those idiots will make a driver in the near future.

HP's not really much better. There's been a critical flaw (IE - causes the thing to crash) in their Laserjet 8100 (pretty serious workgroup model) series for 2-3yr that they don't even acknowlege the existance of. We'll see if Carly's replacement tries to make the company not suck & reclaim a bit of their former glory.

Best experience I've had with printers has been from Xerox - but that was actually a rebranded Tektronix unit so...

Who actually makes a good printer these days?

I usually don't bring dead threads back to life, but..

In the same boat at the moment as amoeba was, or maybe still is..

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-pe...lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi&&req=:::::

No joy for my particular Lexmark. Lexmark does have some x64 drivers, but not for my particular one yet. Anybody know if an x1150 is 'post script' compatible like someone else mentioned above, and if it is, what sort of generic driver do I use for that?

Thanks, didn't find my drivers there but still all kinds of other interesting drivers and information there, awesome.

Back