no boot screen - mobo dead ???

game14

[H]ard|Gawd
When i try to turn on the computer i get no boot screen , no screen at all . Monitor states no signal found . Had that problem before but after unplugging everything and switching PSU everything worked fine for a while . Did a HDD scan if everything is ok and system hang up . Tryed to reboot .....again no boot screen no nothing . System specs :
amd sempron S 754 , jetway mobo geforce 6100 , 2x512mb patriot ram , 80gb seagate 7200.9 . Same problem with different brand PSU (Antec,Rosewill,Corsair)
So is the board dead or just the BIOS chip ?

What video card are you using? or is it integrated? If the monitor isn't receiving a signal, the video card is the first thing to take a look at.

What video card are you using? or is it integrated? If the monitor isn't receiving a signal, the video card is the first thing to take a look at.

testet videocard ( geforce 6200 ) and ram in another system and worked fine . Have no spare 754 board to test the cpu though .
With onboard video i have the same black screen as with videocard .Testet different monitors too , same problem.

Without having another mobo or processor I don't think there's anyway to be certain. It would be nice if you had a mobo that had a post diagnostic, ie the MSI dblock, but obviously that's not the case.

I would try re-seating the CPU, resetting cmos, and doublechecking your power plugs to make sure theyre all properly connected. But I'm guessing you've done this.

If you have, what circumstances did this stop working under? Did you try to switch the cpu into a new motherboard, or did it just randomly stop posting?

yeah i have done everything you mentioned more than once and nothing worked , i get no signal to the screen at all , not even a bootscreen .
Its not my computer i usually work with , its my gf's (but my build) . She said that when she wanted to shut down the pc , windows hang up .... like every "normal" person instead of waiting till windows shuts down the frozen programs she pulled the powerplug :eek:
Since then the problem started . Changed the psu and monitor and pc worked fine till i started running test programs , worked fine till HDD test , then pc hang during scandisk and no more screen at all .
Cant test the cpu in another board because i have no socket 754 board to test it on . Mine are all socket 939 .

If you haven't removed or touched the cpu, then that doesn't make much sense to point to it as the problem.

What you described, granted, doesn't make much sense either.. lol.
When you do power the system on though, the fans do spin/lights come on/hd spools, etc? (the psu is good?) You said you even tried another.. If it is a good psu then I would probably venture a good guess that, yes, it is the motherboard.

NO, i havent removed the cpu , i guess if it is the cpu i must a least get a bios screen with an error code that no cpu is found , but i dont get any screen at all - "no signal found".
YES, the leds and fans turn on and the HDD starts spinning .
With all 3 PSU that i testet i had the same problem , so guess its not the PSU .
Original PSU - no screen
Second PSU - pc booted normally twice - then no more screen
Third PSU - pc booted normally and run for about half a day till i got to the HDD test and then system hang up - no more screen
clearing cmos but didnt solve the problem
tested HDD on another pc and no error found .
:confused:

I have a Matx mobo that did the same, tried the onboard graphics and still no bios screen... Checked power everware on the board and that was fine, reset the cmos but still no boot screen..

Time pronounced dead: xx:xx

[QUOTE Yesterday, 05:07 PM
game14 Limp Gawd

NO, i havent removed the cpu , i guess if it is the cpu i must a least get a bios screen with an error code that no cpu is found , but i dont get any screen at all - "no signal found".
YES, the leds and fans turn on and the HDD starts spinning .
With all 3 PSU that i testet i had the same problem , so guess its not the PSU .
Original PSU - no screen
Second PSU - pc booted normally twice - then no more screen
Third PSU - pc booted normally and run for about half a day till i got to the HDD test and then system hang up - no more screen
clearing cmos but didnt solve the problem
tested HDD on another pc and no error found .

][/QUOTE]
1. Do you get a post beep? If it doesn't, you have a hardware issue. Usually bios chip bad.
Of course if you don't have a MB speaker, the beeps would not be heard.

IF you have a MB speaker:

2. Do you get more than 1 beep? For example a series three beeps of different lengths could mean you have bad memory, or a long beep could mean a bad video card.

3. I have seen the same issue you have with the fix being a bad or failing CPU.

4. The motherboard itself could be bad. Motherboard issues are frustrating since problems randomly start and stop seemingly at will! Try looking at your connections and your MB standoffs again carefully, since these issues are easy fixes.

ok a little update ...
mobo has no onboard speaker and the casespeaker wasnt working , thats why i heard no beep .Connected a different speaker and got long beeps that didnt stop , keept on beeping . Mobo manual doesnt say anything about beeping codes .:mad:
So i took out one ram stick and surprise it booted normally . Switched the ramstick with the other one and no problems . Funny thing is now i got following situation:
1 stick of ram in slot one - system boots normally
1 stick of ram in slot two - system boots normally
as soon i put both sticks in i have the same problem as before - no screen and long beeps .
tryed the same with different brand ram and the same problem .
each stick is 512mb and both are working fine . Max ram supported by board is 2gb.
Now i have run orthos with one stick of ram for about 4 hours and no problems at all .
now whats that supposed to mean ??? is board fine or not ??? :confused:

in order to get it to boot when using both pieces of ram......

worked fine for 2 years on default voltage ... and now it doesnt like two sticks of ram anymore :eek::confused::(
is there any ram voltage controller on the board that might have burnt out ?

Back