• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

No BIOS Splash?

Epos7

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2015
Messages
1,061
Asus X870-I motherboard.

I've been having some stability issues while at idle recently, so I want to flash to a recent BIOS to see if that fixes anything. Trouble is, I don't get a BIOS splash screen on boot anymore. Sometimes it takes several minutes to boot, sometimes 30 seconds, but the splash screen never shows up. Just boots into Windows. I have fast boot turned off in BIOS. As of a month or so ago, the splash screen was showing up as normal, and I haven't made any BIOS changes since then.

  • Tried unplugging all but one monitor.
  • Tried mashing delete throughout boot to see if I can get into BIOS without the splash screen

Anyone else run into this before? It's a first for me.

Can't boot into safe mode, either. PC powers on but doesn't output a video signal. This also happens sometimes when I try to boot normally.

In terms of instability, I've had no crashes while I've been using it for a while now. I can game or run stress tests for hours without issue. The last few weeks, it seems to keep crashing overnight while idle, and oddly I've come back to it several times the next day and it's been in the BIOS. I assume it crashed and booted back into BIOS for some reason. I've experienced this when trying to overclock memory, but in that case, it reverts to the base memory clocks. In this case it was crashing, booting into BIOS, and memory speed and all other settings were untouched. I just exited the BIOS and it booted normally. I looked in Windows event logs, but Windows isn't logging any critical errors.

It seems like the most likely culprit is a motherboard issue. I'm just not quite sure what to make of it.
 
Last edited:
Aha - had my keyboard plugged in with a USB A --> C adapter, and while it was being recognized in Windows, it wasn't being detected during bootup. Connected it directly to a USB-C port, and I was able to get into the BIOS by mashing delete. Still saw some really strange boot behavior, but after multiple attempts I got the BIOS flashed to the latest version. Will see if that improves things.
 
Idle weirdness is usually caused by PBO being too negative on the offset for a core or two or more. Options are figure out which core/s need less offset or raise the all core to a more positive offset.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Epos7
like this
Idle weirdness is usually caused by PBO being too negative on the offset for a core or two or more. Options are figure out which core/s need less offset or raise the all core to a more positive offset.
Thanks, I'll look into it. I've just been running PBO on auto for now.
 
Back
Top