No Auto-detect of Cable Modem via USB

Mindoculus

Limp Gawd
just finished a fresh re-install of windows over partitions plagued with malware.

thanks to those here who helped with that.

i combed through a few of these threads and found similar troubles which i have resolved.

i had accidentally created a dual boot (C and E) in trying to remove the malware. both drives booted XP. tweaked boot.ini to eliminate redundancy (C). tried to format the same drive (C) i had eliminated off boot with partition magic, but PT wouldn't/coudln't do so.

re-ordered optical drive config via bios to boot off CD. re-installed XP. now OS wont auto-detect cable modem off USB.

this is a minor issue, comparatively speaking. i think i've recovered well off the malware attack and know that i will soon have a clean, smoothly functioning OS. thanks again to all who helped.

First, how does one accidently create a dual boot?

Secondly, I've seen nothing but problems using the USB connection on a cable modem. This is 2005, for crying out loud, so every PC should have a NIC. Try the ethernet connection and be done with it. No drivers needed.

hulksterjoe said:
did you reload all the drivers? Chipset etc

i'll load whatever is on the abit (ic-7) cd and report back. i thought XP's plug-and-play
would have been sufficient to auto-detect any peripherals, usb and otherwise. guess
not.

djnes said:
First, how does one accidently create a dual boot?

Secondly, I've seen nothing but problems using the USB connection on a cable modem. This is 2005, for crying out loud, so every PC should have a NIC. Try the ethernet connection and be done with it. No drivers needed.

i'll look for any ethernet connection on the mobo 'cause i'm w/o any separate nic card.

as for how i created a dual boot sys, thats a mystery. the re-install process had offered
me an array of options for only one drive (e), and nothing was shown of drive C. i was hoping the reinstall portion would have shown all available drives (partitions) and options to deal with them but it didn't. thanks.

If you have an Abit IC7-G, then you have an onboard ethernet port.

Back