No Audio Since Installing 9800GTX+

bigdavethehorn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
412
Hello all,

I RMA’d a faulty EVGA 8800GTS, and EVGA replaced with a 9800GTX+. Since installing the 9800GTX+, I have no audio.

The 9800 is connected to my monitor via a DVI – HDMI cable.
Audio is transferred from motherboard to monitor using a 3.5mm stereo jack cable. This configuration previously worked perfectly with the 8800.

I have tested the cable, and the monitor input, both work.

Here’s the weird part. I have an image of the drive with the 8800 installed. If I load this image with the 9800 in place, the audio works. However, it only works until “Windows needs to restart to finalise installation of new hardware”. As soon as I restart, the audio is gone.

I’ve hunted through control panel, and the Realtek user interface, everything seems to be in order.

Any ideas?
 
The 9800GTX+ will have HDMI support thus supporting sound as well as video. Go into device manager and find the 9800GTX sound device and disable it. Also check with your sound devices that you have the realtek as default and other sound devices are either disabled or do not exist.


Failing that try this:

Uninstall nvidia drivers completely, reboot enter bios and turn off the onboard audio, once booted up install nvidia drivers and reboot, enter bios enable onboard audio.
If needs be reinstall the audio drivers too.
 
Ok, slight joy with those suggestions.

Upon reinstalling the 9800GTX, the current driver now has an option to either select, or deselect audio output (via HDMI). If I enable audio via HDMI then immediately disable audio, I have working audio (presumably via the 3.5mm stereo jack cable). This doesn't last though, as soon as I load a game, the audio's gone.

I reinstalled the motherboard's audio device using the current driver, and still no luck.

Any more ideas?
 
Are you disabling the HDMI sound via device manager?

Soundhelp.jpg


Also do you have the option within Windows playback devices to disable programs to take control of the playback device settings?
Like this
Soundhelp2.jpg
 
Are you disabling the HDMI sound via device manager?

Interestingly, I have only one audio device listed there. I can't remember the name, it's something generic, like "HD Audio Device". I haven't disabled it, because I assumed it was my onboard sound.

Also do you have the option within Windows playback devices to disable programs to take control of the playback device settings?

Yes, I have this option, I think it's unchecked, will take a look tonight.
 
If it's like you said, ok in Windows but as soon as you load a game it buggers up again, then it could be that the game is affecting the sound settings, hopefully you can disable the option for it to do that like my screenshot shows.
 
Ok, checked last night.

I have one audio device listed in Device Manager (regardless if audio via HDMI is enabled or disabled) the device name is Realtek HD Audio, which is my mobo's onboard.

I have unchecked the two options shown in your screenshot above, no luck.

This is quite frustrating, and could be the excuse I need to upgrade to Win 7.
 
Ok, checked last night.

I have one audio device listed in Device Manager (regardless if audio via HDMI is enabled or disabled) the device name is Realtek HD Audio, which is my mobo's onboard.

I have unchecked the two options shown in your screenshot above, no luck.

This is quite frustrating, and could be the excuse I need to upgrade to Win 7.

Damn it.
I'm out of idea's apart from one risky one, which is to flash the video card BIOS to a newer version. But i'd choose an upgrade to Windows 7 over that.
Sorry i couldn't be of more help, hope it gets resolved soon, sound ridiculously annoying.
 
I might contact Evga, see if they have any advice.
If I have any luck, I'll post here.

Thanks for your suggestions!
 
I've given up.

I've tried clean installs of Vista x64 & Win 7 x64 and various old new & inbetween drivers. I've even installed an SPDIF pass through cable.

I cannot get audio to work.

So, I've decided to buy a discrete sound card. I don't need anything fancy, as long as it doesn't sound worse than the onboard and has a 3.5mm stereo output to connect to my monitor.

Would this do?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-006-AS&tool=3

I presume that if I buy a discrete card, and disable onboard audio in the BIOS, I can safely remove the SPDIF pass through cable?
 
Last edited:
Damn, sorry to hear.
Xonar DS is pretty damn good for the price, go for it.
Yes you can rip the SPDIF pass through out, disable onbaord sound and set default in Windows (7) to the Xonar.

Ooo btw, overclockers have been a day or 2 late for me last week, maybe due to the snow we had sort of caused a backlog but not sure.
 
Thanks for the info on Overclockers, I ordered a 4350 from Novatech a couple of days ago, arrived today, so I'll head back there!
 
Back
Top