'No audio device installed' - Vista 32?

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Morning all, sorry if its in the wrong place but its a Vista related problem it seems.

My friends Ei system 3115 (original Vista 32 installed, bought from Currys UK) laptops sound has all of a sudden been disabled somehow and im at a loss as too how to get it working again.

Here are the laptop specs - Ei-system 3115

Basically when i boot it the speaker in the bottom right has a red cross over it and say 'No audio device is installed'

Vista comes up with an error saying 'HD audio control panel is not working properly' and tries to fix it. It cant and attempts to find new drivers to sort the problem which also fails.

Vista then gives me a link to the latest drivers from Realtek's website here which i have download and attempted to install.

During the installation i get a 'Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure !!' error and the setup exits.

I then looked in Device Manager and there are yellow exclamation points next to the entries for audio. If i right click on them and select 'Update driver' it eventually fails and tells me the latest drivers are already installed. If i uninstall these devices i can install the latest Realtek drivers as above but after the automatic reboot we're back to square one, no sound, red cross, yellow exclamations.

Looking in the device manager entries properties it says a service may be disabled but ive checked in services and any relating to audio are on 'Automatic' and 'started'

In the control panel under Sounds it tells me there are no audio devices installed.

Can anyone help, im going mad here!:(

Thanks to all help in advance.

Ok, another question. Do you think installing the recent Vista SP2 will help solve the problem?

I had this issue with Vista RTM a few times, but I don't remember getting it with SP1. Anyway, try installing the original driver. I'm as OCD as the next tweaker and I hate using old drivers, but that used to fix it for me. If that doesn't work you could try a fresh install.

Got the original drivers from 'TheTechGuys' website and im currently installing them (back at work now so wont know if theyve worked till im home).

I have had a good deal of problems with compatibility issues and drivers with vista 64bit. Not sure about 32.

Back