no "Administrator" account in Vista ?

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
I have Vista Ultimate 64bits installed since a couple of months now, i only use it for gaming. I also have only one account in Vista, by default it has admin privileges (apparently there is no "Administrator" account like it used to be in WinXP)

When i want to install something or simple execute an exe file, a message pops-up saying that if i want to run the program, and then another that says that i have to have
admin privileges even though i am logged in to an account that has admin privileges. So is there a way to disable those annoying pop up messages to make it more like WinXP ? :(

Its there, my room mate and I found it. You have to enable it. Go to Control Panel then Adminstrative Tools, and then click Local Security Settings. Once there find Security Options and once in there you will see Accounts: Adminstrator account status. Enable that, restart computer and you will see another user called Adminstrator.

You could just disable UAC but that would make the OS "less secure". Google around for UAC to read about pros/cons of having it enabled/disabled.

i´ve already disabled UAC, cuz i don´t really use the Internet in Vista. but still i get those annoyings admin privileges popups.

Is there a TweakUI kinda tool for Vista ?

i´ve already disabled UAC, cuz i don´t really use the Internet in Vista. but still i get those annoyings admin privileges popups.

Is there a TweakUI kinda tool for Vista ?

If you have UAC disabled, you can always hold down SHIFT + RIGHT CLICK the shortcut and/or .exe and click "Run as Administrator." Granted, you'll have to do that each time your run XYZ app, but its a temp solution until you find a way to disable the pop-up completely.

Next time you install a program or application, right click on the install file and choose "Run as Administrator".. and as for those that are already installed, right click on the program/app, choose properties, compatibility and check the box next to "Run as an Administrator".. in most cases that will do the trick.

thanx for the replies! ;)

Apparently i´ve managed to disable those annoying popups, could u guys confirm this

in the control panel under Administative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Settings -> Select "User Account Control: Behavior of the raising indicator for the administrators in Administrator Approval Mode " -> double clic and select "Raise without Asking"

apparently that does it for me. btw my OS is not in english so the translation might not be accurate

Ah... The Microsoft UI development team. One step forward, three steps back...

I kind of like the IDEA of UAC, but I set it to silent mode as almost one of the first steps after installing Vista.

Nice little tool can be had here -> http://www.tweak-uac.com/

thanx for the replies! ;)

Apparently i´ve managed to disable those annoying popups, could u guys confirm this

in the control panel under Administative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Settings -> Select "User Account Control: Behavior of the raising indicator for the administrators in Administrator Approval Mode " -> double clic and select "Raise without Asking"

apparently that does it for me. btw my OS is not in english so the translation might not be accurate

Or type msconfig in run-> enter-> go to the last tab scroll down and select disable UAC apply. You will see dos windows appears and says finished. Close the windows and restart your computer you are done.

There are a couple of security things going on here. First, a file downloaded from the Internet is flagged by the OS as such, and will always display this warning. There is a way to remove it, don't remember off the solution, but you can search for it. However, how many non-zipped executables that aren't installers do you actually run? This warning should really only be a one time thing.

Secondly, turning off UAC is a BAD IDEA. Its there for a very good reason and its no where near as bad as people make it out to be I believe. Yes, it pops up when you access sensitive areas and utilities like regedit and install apps, and to potentially address compatibility issues for applications that aren't designed to run under a non-administator account, but its something that you shouldn't see a lot, unless you're always running admin level stuff.

Just my two cents. I've really gotten used to UAC *NIX has used pretty much this same security model for years, and its was considered good for *NIX, I do not understand why UAC has been so hated.

how many non-zipped executables that aren't installers do you actually run? .

I've recently got a LOT of games and i'm installing them, took me about one whole day to install them all !!

Secondly, turning off UAC is a BAD IDEA. Its there for a very good reason and its no where near as bad as people make it out to be I believe.

i only use Vista for gaming, due to DirectX 10, also i'm not your "average" windows user and i really don't need windows to patronize me every time i want to install or execute an exe file, for me that is REALLY annoying

I can understand if you find UAC annoying, as so many people do. However, I think that most Windows users have gotten a little spoiled by Microsoft's bad security practices and when given a superior security model for the desktop have rejected it because they were so accustomed to running their desktops 100% of the time as an administrator. That’s simply not acceptable to me because it is the number one reason why Windows has gotten hacked so much over the years.

While you may not use Vista for web browsing, most of the games you installed probably have a multiplayer and/or other networking components. The nice thing about UAC is that if your running with it enabled, it makes it much harder to execute malicious code. Remember, last year Quicktime had a ton of security issues in it, and that effected games like Second Life. If the app is running as a standard user, UAC will warn you if the app is doing certain things that it shouldn’t, like writing to the registry.

What I don’t really understand is that *NIX uses the same desktop security model, that’s where UAC came from, and for years people slammed Microsoft for what I call the all administrator all the time syndrome. It’s a HUGE security hole that Microsoft had to fix, the trade off being the nag screens.

If UAC bothers you then you obviously do what’s right for you. I just think that people get the wrong idea about UAC when they read forums like this and think automatically that it’s bad and has no benefit, when that really isn’t the case. Those Apple ads didn’t help either.:D

I can understand if you find UAC annoying, as so many people do. However, I think that most Windows users have gotten a little spoiled by Microsoft's bad security practices and when given a superior security model for the desktop have rejected it because they were so accustomed to running their desktops 100% of the time as an administrator. That’s simply not acceptable to me because it is the number one reason why Windows has gotten hacked so much over the years.

You are 100% spot on. In my line of work I see it 10 to 15 times a day. In reality you should have your administrator account and a standard user acount for yourself.

You should then run in Standard user mode all the time and then when UAC prompts you for example when you try to run regedit, you should have to type in the admin password.

But hey whatever, you folks can do whatever you want, however you want. There will always be people around to charge you money to fix it when it breaks.

You can also try TweakVista from Stardock, pretty nice, not free, comes with ObjectDesktop, which is about the best UI enhancement suite for Windows.

Back