no access to optical drives?!

alc101ma

n00b
So I go to fire up a game today and get an error screen 'can't find cd.' Wtf it's right in there. I pop the cd out and try the other drive. Nope.

Then I look in Windows Explorer and notice neither of my 2 optical drives are showing up! I go into Device Manager and both of my cd drives have the yellow exclamation point next to them.

Anyone have any idea what's goin on and how I can fix this? I'm running WinXP.

Try right clicking the device and updating the driver. You should be able to install whatever came on the Windows CD to get it to work again.

I have tried disabling/re-enabling the drivers as well as updating them. Neither solution has helped. I have also tried new IDE cables but that did not work either.

This is the message I get in Device Manager:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

also found this =/

Further investigation found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

It works.

You need to edit the registers.

For me, regedit32.exe didn't work, but regedit did.

I navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\

and used Edit>Find to find "UpperFilters" in one of the
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folders

I made sure it was for the DVD drive(s) and deleted the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters lines per the instructions on the site.

I then rebooted the machine and the drives were back.

>> Just make sure you're editing your DVD drive folder!!

Back