• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

No 512MB Video Cards After All

Vezra

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 14, 2004
Messages
138
Well it looks like we won't be seeing 512mb video cards on the new revisions coming out after all. In 2004 anyway. I kinda figured we would since Doom 3 suggest you have it to use Ultra Quality settings. (Of course most people can use that setting just fine with the top cards) Oh well...... :(

Link: http://www.inquirerinside.com/?article=18355
 
I cant believe some people actually thought they were gonna see 512 MB cards before the next generation. :rolleyes: A jump like that is ridiculous, and insanely exspensive.
 
fuad is probably the least accurate reporter at theinq.

I think there's a better than good chance that the pro versions (quadro and Fire GL) of the NV4x and R42x will have 512MB by the end of the year.

And the way it will go will be a new article on theinq about how accurate they were that no *consumer* cards will have 512MB in 2004. :rolleyes:
 
pxc said:
fuad is probably the least accurate reporter at theinq.

I think there's a better than good chance that the pro versions (quadro and Fire GL) of the NV4x and R42x will have 512MB by the end of the year.

And the way it will go will be a new article on theinq about how accurate they were that no *consumer* cards will have 512MB in 2004. :rolleyes:

ditto, the quadro 4400 already has 512 mb
 
Well ofcourse some Pro cards will have them.

Its pretty obvious that this whole thing is about consumer level video cards.
 
Silverghost said:
Well ofcourse some Pro cards will have them.

Its pretty obvious that this whole thing is about consumer level video cards.

applauds. OBVIOUSLY I dunno why pxc is trying to thread crap with non-sense not to mention (which was already mentioned) the quadro already has 512+ mem on it...

As for anyone who thought that 512 would be available this yr...I dunno what to say to you except have alittle common sense? :confused:
 
I'm skeptical, only because he didn't list a source. He just outright says "No 512mb gpus" and doesnt say he interviewed either company or anything.
 
so_cal_forever said:
I'm skeptical, only because he didn't list a source. He just outright says "No 512mb gpus" and doesnt say he interviewed either company or anything.

The INQ isn't on a very friendly basis with either ATI or Nvidia [they don't sign NDAs].
 
fuad is a moron, as it's been proven time and time again. I don't know why some people worship him. :rolleyes:
 
pxc said:
fuad is a moron, as it's been proven time and time again. I don't know why some people worship him. :rolleyes:

That wasn't very nice. The thing you're forgetting is that it doesn't take inside information to understand why 512mb GAMING cards are not going to be released this year. Only a very basic grasp of simple economics. Can you provide any compelling rational reason why you think 512mb GAMING cards will be released this year? Didn't think so.... :rolleyes:
 
rancor said:
ditto, the quadro 4400 already has 512 mb

are the quadros the ATI or NV name?

Can't you flash one of those to a desktop (gaming) card? Cause I know you can flash the 9800 series cards to certain workstation cards... perhaps a flash back would suit it for someone burning for 512 megs of ram

~Adam
 
quadros are nV, I don't think ya would want to flash it to a desktop card, its actually has a better driver set with more Ogl support then the regular nV geforce drivers. Its pretty much a gf6800 ultra with 512 mb v ram, with alot more ogl support.

In the previous line it was possible to change a regular geforce into a quadro, with a hard mod.
 
with the current games that are out right now there isn't one of them that will benefit from having a 512MB video card except for DOOM 3

its pretty much like PCI-E right now, not utilized yet
 
which hurts me alot too Brent, PCI-E b/w is just... mmm ownage.. imagine having a gfx card with that kinda b/w as to have the PCI-E bus be the BOTTLENECK...

Gah dreams..

~Adam
 
Nobody ever said there would be a 512 card anyway... it was never on nVidia or ATi's roadmap. The only thing that's got people thinking there would be was their own hype...
 
heyheyhey said:
Nobody ever said there would be a 512 card anyway... it was never on nVidia or ATi's roadmap. The only thing that's got people thinking there would be was their own hype...


Agreed.

But I wonder if F.E.A.R. will take advantage of 512mb video cards? The game engine that they are using looks just as good if not better then the Doom 3 engine. Here is a link to some of the pics and info on it: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear/index.html
 
Maybe this was just marketing speak. Maybe Nvidia changed thier minds since they are leading Ati in the hardcore sector of the market. They can save this beast to counter Ati's counter punch to the GT. You know that Ati has something big brewing. :)

512mb.jpg
 
r480 will be the first ati chip which will be available in a 512 mb configuration
 
Well I certainly hope inquirer is wrong. I almost start to drool when I think about an GeForce 6900 Ultra 512mb :D. I can hope anyway.
 
Schadenfroh said:

Note that this will not be GDDR3. Also note that this will not be on a "cutting edge" core. This will no doubt be for those who go gaga over the number "512" on the box that have no clue. This whole discussion is really about GDDR3 on a next gen gaming card, not workstation cards, and not handicapped cards.
 
yevaud said:
Note that this will not be GDDR3. Also note that this will not be on a "cutting edge" core. This will no doubt be for those who go gaga over the number "512" on the box that have no clue. This whole discussion is really about GDDR3 on a next gen gaming card, not workstation cards, and not handicapped cards.

dude, i photoshoped a ECS sales sheet and added that............
 
Schadenfroh said:
dude, i photoshoped a ECS sales sheet and added that............

You got me. I've been waiting for someone to stack 512mb of standard DDR on a glorified FX5200 core and make a card for the uneducated masses. I guess I should have been more skeptical. :D
 
I don't think we'll see 512mb video cards until the price of memory drops - especially the kind they use on high end video cards (DDR3 or may be DDR4? in the future).

Since we currently have a severe shortage of 1.6ns DDR3, I don't know how they intend to make 512mb video cards at a price that would make it economically viable.

Sure they can make a video card with 512mb of 1.6ns DDR3 but expect to pay over $1000.

Who here will buy a $1000 512mb video card?

Not I.

And I recently spent $600 on 6800 Ultra.

$1000 is too much for me.

At that price range, even the [H]ardest of us will not purchase it - it's just too much.

I think games can and will take advantage of 512mb of video memory.

I predict that eventually we'll move to some form of unified memory architecture where the video card will use system memory.
 
LordBritish said:
I predict that eventually we'll move to some form of unified memory architecture where the video card will use system memory.

too slow
 
We dont need 512MB video cards yet. Everyone is just now moving from 128MB to 256MB cards now. Last year the consensus was that 128MB was plenty and 256MB had no real benefit except at really high resolutions. Now we have 256MB cards as the mainstream products.

We might see some 512MB cards next year but i definitely dont see it coming this year.

W1zzard said:

Noone knows for sure how long it will be till technology might come up with a new form of system RAM thats as fast as the cache in Processors even.

A newer type of RAM called MRAM is starting to filter into the market sector alot more now and as prices fall on it i look for it to possibly replace DRAM and SRAM.

MRAM (magnetoresistive RAM) sotres data using magnetic chargest instead of electrical charges. Its suppost to have greater storage capacity, consumes less power, has faster access times then electronic RAM, and it also retains its contents after power is removed is shut off from the computer.
 
burningrave101 said:
We dont need 512MB video cards yet. Everyone is just now moving from 128MB to 256MB cards now. Last year the consensus was that 128MB was plenty and 256MB had no real benefit except at really high resolutions. Now we have 256MB cards as the mainstream products.

At least somebody has half a brain. 512 this and 512 that...theres like only two games that even take advantage of 256 really and people are ready to pay a premium for an extra 256mb of something that will have such a small impact on video games that they will be as stupid as those ebayers who spent $800-$1000 on x800xt pe's and 6800 Ultra's :mad:
 
Wizzard is right for the time being but in the future when system memory becomes so fast that it doesn't matter, at least I think, he's wrong.

~Adam
 
Its suppost to have greater storage capacity, consumes less power, has faster access times then electronic RAM, and it also retains its contents after power is removed is shut off from the computer.

But does it have 30 more Gb of bandwidth?

Wizzard is right for the time being but in the future when system memory becomes so fast that it doesn't matter,

If GDDR keeps getting faster it will take a long long time before regular DRAM catches up, not to mention the bus width and FSB issues involved
 
LordBritish said:
I predict that eventually we'll move to some form of unified memory architecture where the video card will use system memory.
that would decrease performance. because you would have to go over the AGP bus, to the system memory, then back through the already busy northbridge, and then back over to the AGP card.
 
I didnt say it would be better, I just said that's what will happen(it'd be MUCH cheaper, think of it from the mfg's perspective), in a way dell and all the mfg's already do that by splitting system ram up which is stupid and slow as shit.. but that'll be what it's like.

~Adam
 
when you said unified memory architecture... i thought u meant something like video cards shipping without ram and us having to buy regular system ram to put on it ourselves. oops...
 
Back
Top