NMI Parity Check - Memory Parity Error

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by RavinDJ, Sep 26, 2011.

1. RavinDJ

RavinDJ 2[H]4U

Dell OptiPlex 380

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD):

Hardware malfunction
    Call your hardware vendor for support
    NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
    The system has halted

I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. After reinstalling Windows 7 Pro 32bit, everything was working fine until I tried installing the Broadcom eXtreme Gigabit Ethernet driver. As soon as it started installing, the error started coming up on a fresh install of Win7.

So, as hard is it is to believe... the NMI Parity Check / Memory Parity Error was coming up on the Dell OptiPlex 380 due to the Broadcom Ethernet card. So, after a quick visit to an electronics store to purchase a PCI Ethernet card, the issue was resolved. I never reinstalled the drivers for the Broadcom and it stayed as an unknown device in Device Manager. It's a small price to pay so long as the error doesn't keep coming back.

I hope this helps someone else... I know that it bothered me so much that I was about to rip my hair out because of this reoccuring issue.

Good luck!

2. sixteamparlay

sixteamparlay n00b

Thank you very much for the post it saved me a lot of time. I was getting the same error every few minutes.

On your cue, I disabled the on-board Broadcom Nic in device manager and stuck a NIC in an expansion slot and the problem went away.

My Dell Optiplex 380 was still under Next Business Day warranty so I contacted Dell and they sent a repair man with a new motherboard and I'm back to normal.

Thanks again!

3. dashpuppy

dashpuppy [H]ardness Supreme

where you located ?

4. Ryan M

Ryan M n00b

Just wanted to thank you guys for this - Ran into the same problem on a Optiplex 380 (less than a year old).

The system would crash during the Windows boot. Disabling the onboard NIC fixed the problem, so I was able to quickly get a warranty replacement obtained without having to go through hours of diagnostics on the phone with Dell.

So, Google:

Optiplex 380 NMI Parity Check = Bad NIC.

5. rgraze911

rgraze911 Limp Gawd

Same PC same issue, bad NIC. This thread is still helpful thanks!

6. jpochedl

jpochedl Limp Gawd

I've even seen this error on HP server boards when the broadcom NIC has gone bad, and I've seen is with an Intel wireless NIC too.. Not sure why various NICs can throw this error, but it's actually kinda common........

7. mwarps

mwarps [H]ardness Supreme

Got this error on a laptop with a broadcom nic as well. sadly integrated.